How to clone your Android screen (useful for: presentations, debugging, etc)

Dear (Mobile) Community,

In this post we would like to share with you how you can display (and much more) your Android screen in your computer. This is something that we use quite often and thought that it could be a good idea to share it with you in case you need to:

• Demonstrate the DHIS 2 Application to an audience
  • Reproduce and report bugs better and faster
  • Perform…
  • Many more things!

The idea is to be able to clone the screen of your Android device in your PC so you can later on display it using a projector. But can also be helpful to input data with a physical keyboard / mouse to demonstrate faster several capabilities, taking screenshots while creating documentation, etc.

Scrcpy
This is the application I currently use as it works extremly fast and it many OS.

From its website: This application provides display and control of Android devices connected on USB (or over TCP/IP). It does not require any root access. It works on GNU/Linux , Windows and macOS .

The main features are:

• Fast
  • Works with cable / wireless
  • Allows remote control from the PC (not only cloning)
  • Allows installation via drag & drop
  • Allows you to record video

In order to install you will need to have adb enabled and working and then follow the instructions on the website.

A few hints:

• Drag and drop any apk on the cloned screen to have it installed. Useful if you are testing several DHIS 2 versions and want to be able to install them quickly
  • Use the -t option when doing presentations to show your touches in the screen.
  • You can record your screen when submitting bugs (we will appreciate this in your bug reports! :slight_smile: )

Other Alternatives

• Vysor: https://vysor.io/
    Vysor works as well under many OS and it is well known by many users. Its free version will allow you to do some basic stuff. A big advantage is that it can be installed as a Chrome extension so might be useful when you are in a computer without admin rights.

• Airdroid: https://www.airdroid.com/
    Airdroid allows to clone the screen between several devices (i.e. Android - Android which might be useful in same cases). It works over WiFi and can be used without installing anything on the PC. Unlike Vysor, many options are available on the free version although advertisements will be displayed while using the application.

• Android emulator(s)
    Not really a cloning alternative as it means running a different Android in your PC but might be useful in case you want to test the application simulating different devices (although when reporting bugs please use a physical device). You can find many Android emulators (or similar tools) like Android Studio, Android-x86

Hope you find this helpful! Let us know if you know any other alternative worth mentioning! :slight_smile:

Please note that none of these tools are related in anyway with DHIS 2.

14 Likes

This is really useful @jaime.bosque, Thank you for coming up with this!

1 Like

Scrcpy is very good I used it,

for windows installation, check on this video : - YouTube

2 Likes

Hey, this video became unavailable…

Do you have an alternative?

Hey @lillian1n2 ,

I have not watched any of there videos but I hope you find them useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=DHIS2+WINDOWS+10&tbs=srcf:H4sIAAAAAAAAACXMQQrAIAwF0du4KbjojVpNY6jyQxIX3r5gl4-BORZmzJtywUi1iZ8ZximoNJ-qsNB3N-9SSfu1yLaHFIPjiS0GuP-TD75ABu5SAAAA,qdr:y,hq:h,dur:l&tbm=vid&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAq9KPxevwAhVOs6QKHQluBDEQpwV6BAgBECE&biw=1639&bih=732&dpr=2.5

Also, if you want you for development purposes, I made this unofficial guide on how to install DHIS2 on Debian using the Windows 10 WSL which means you will be able to follow most of the guides that are based on Debian but I am still a beginner and still learning these things:

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Taking screenshot in Android Capture App?

Unfotauntely these tools no longer work (since Android 12) the DHIS2 app is a black screen (tested Scrcpy, Vysor, Airdroid); any updates or work around for 2024? Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @sgaudon! These tools work for training apk or if you are using other than training then you need to allow screen sharing in the Android Settings web app.

3 Likes