API wiki post: developers, collaborate here with API Q&As & tips you find helpful for other developers

Hi all,
I had some questions about API requests and asked other developers in the Developers Workspace for support. I got some good responses; therefore, I thought it’d be helpful to have a wiki with helpful questions & responses that the developers in the DHIS2 Community of Practice can contribute to. Thanks!

How to help/contribute?

This is a wiki post which means all community members are welcome to edit it, add a Q&A or helpful tips then tag their CoP usernames at the end of this post. See contributors list at the end of this post.

Helpful API Q&As - API tips:

Q - Can we query for information from two different API endpoints in one request?

@RModi I would suggest to use two different queries and concatenate the result. Might be less daunting.
@tzemp You might be able to structure a single query using nested references … but if you want to access completely different resources from the api (say messageConversations and dataElementOperands) you’d probably need to make multiple requests

Q - How do we structure nested queries?

@tzemp to structure a single query using nested references, e.g. if you want to see the names of categoryOptions associated with a given program, you could use [instanceURL]/api/programs?fields=id,name,categoryCombo[id,name,categories[id,name,categoryOptions[id,name]]]

Q - How do we create filters in API requests?

@tzemp you can put the filters at the end, like: [instanceURL]/2.37.2/api/programs?fields=id,name,categoryCombo[id,name,categories[id,name,categoryOptions[id,name]]]&filter=categoryCombo.categories.name:like:Implementing

Q - How do we create more than one filter in an API request?

@tzemp you’ll need to do concatenate the filter conditions with & like &filter=object:like:something&filter=object2:eq:xyz

Q - Can we add logic to filters in API requests?

@tzemp you can specify a rootJunction if you don’t want to use AND, e.g. &filter=object:like:something&filter=object2:eq:xyz&rootJunction=OR
See Logical Operators section here:
https://docs.dhis2.org/en/full/develop/dhis-core-version-master/developer-manual.html#webapi_metadata_object_filter

Q - What is a ‘deprecated’ API end point?

@austin In general a deprecated api is set to be removed in a future version, so relying on it isn’t recommended.

Q - Why is it not recommended to use fields=*?

@austin you can specify explicit fields within the api end point so you shouldn’t need fields=* (which can create a heavy request)

Q - API response says I need to get an ID for a metadata object, how?

@Gassim Generally, to get an ID of a metadata object, you need to check its API endpoint, here are two important resources that will help you find your way through the API:

After that you will request the ID from the end point and use fields and filters to return the required result.

Q - What’s the fastest way to get all the results from the Event Reports app?

Contributors:

@RModi
@tzemp
@Gassim
@austin
[add your username here after adding a contribution :pray:]

5 Likes

This is awesome. Thanks to all contributors! We should turn this into an API FAQ if it keeps growing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes it’d would be great to have a reviewed version and this can remain a collaborated wiki by the community! (: I hope it grows more and more, for me it feels like sharing notes that came in handy!

There a couple of new tips that I have from @plinnegan so I will be adding them within this week. :+1::+1:

2 Likes