Webinar on DHIS2 AEFI package: Q&A

DHIS2 experts presented the new Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) metadata package for DHIS2 at a live webinar on **Wednesday, 9 December, from 13:00-14:00 Oslo time (UTC+1).

The recording of the webinar is available on our YouTube channel. The slides from the presentation can be downloaded here.

The AEFI metadata package is modeled on the WHO reporting and investigation form for Adverse Events Following Immunization, and allows the user to capture case-based data using the WHO recommended 25 core variables, facilitate the investigation of adverse events, and generate reliable data for decision making. The AEFI tracker aims to support a sustainable approach to vaccine safety surveillance, including potential application to COVID-19 vaccine delivery.

This webinar will cover:

1. Overview of the scope & use case for Adverse Events Following Immunizations (AEFI) tracker. Including relevance of the upcoming COVID vaccine
  2. Demo of workflow & functionality of the AEFI tracker
  3. Materials and resources
  4. Discussion on implementation approaches.
  5. Q&A

We will use this thread for questions and answers during and after the webinar. If you have questions for the DHIS2 team, please add them here.

3 Likes

I am excited to attend the webinar. The topic is of highest importance in my country Afghanistan, both for the tracking of adverse events from routine immunization and the surveillance of safety of the expected COVID-19 vaccine.

I am looking forward to having a fruitful interaction in the session.

2 Likes

Welcome all! Here are some relevant links:

1. DHIS2 Digital Data Packages for WHO
  1. Overview of DHIS2 toolkit for immunization
  1. DHIS2 Documentation

Question from the chat:
“The Electronic Immunization Registry (EIR) Tracker metadata package is list on The WHO Digital Data Package list but there is no link to the metadata package.
The Electronic Immunization Registry (EIR) Tracker metadata package is listed on The WHO Digital Data Package list but there is no link to the metadata package.”

Reply:
The Electronic Immunization Registry (EIR) is the final stages of our review and publication process and will be available soon.

Thank Kimberly. I should have posted my question here in the community portal.

No worries

Question in the chat:
Hope the slides will be shared later.

Reply:
Yes. they will be shared

Please be in touch if you need a early prototype (non-final) package sooner, we would be happy to work with countries who urgently need it.

1 Like

I heard that the AEFI system will be integrated with the EIR. Did I hear it correctly?

Can you show the list of countries reporting to or are integrated with the global Vigibase repository?

Q from Sammuel Ofori Gyasi: can DHIS2 link to Vaemis system?

From Tzeggai Kidanmearyam: Please clarify how data is transferred to VigiBase and who codes the data. Do the PV staff approve the cases to be transferred to VigiiBase?

From Mike Frost:
“hello. Hope the presentations will be shared. Thanks.” Yes, the slides will be shared after this webinar, and we will also post a recording.
“Who will be the custodian of the server? Is it WHO?” The country is the custodian of the server, and the MOH is the authority to decide whether to share any data with the global repository or other systems.
“The Electronic Immunization Registry (EIR) Tracker metadata package is listed on The WHO Digital Data Package list but there is no link to the metadata package.” Both the AEFI and the EIR packages are set to be published in the coming weeks. Versions of the EIR package area already in use in several countries.

Yes, these are two standalone DHIS2 tracker programs that can be installed and used together in a DHIS2 instance (optional depending on country implementation). The EIR includes a stage that enables a facility/clinician to record adverse events symptoms on the child’s electronic immunization record and trigger a notification to District for investigation of the Adverse Event. This AEFI program we are demoing is primarily focused on the AEFI investigation component, which can be implemented as stand-alone or on conjunction with the EIR.

1 Like

From Mike Frost:
The integration with Vigibase enables easy data transfer, but actually sharing the data is a decision to be made by the relevant MOH authorities. It is not automatic. If the country decides to report to Vigibase, they can set up an automated routine for sharing the data.

From Chakauya Jethro WHO IST ESA:
Are the internal controls to avoid to capture data in a wrong sequence eg. Date of AEFI before date of birth or in future dates

From Oleg BENES, technical Officer, VPI:
Please clarify whehter the WHO AEFI case investigation form will be linked to the case reporting form.

Hi Abdul,
UiO does not have this list, but we understand that 120 countries report into Vigibase. This is managed by the WHO programme who are likely to be able to provide a list.

From Carl Kinkade, CDC:
Is there data entry validation? I have noticed with the date fields in the core surveillance system can have symptom onset dates before the date of birth and I can put a date of birth in for the year 1600, as an example.

Q: Does the system have validation checks for duplications? Ideally all the validation rules and checks have to be in the system e.g formulas’ to avoid manual calculations as it is the case in some of the online applications.