Using Android Dhis 2capture online

Hello,

Is it possible to use Dhis 2 capture app in online mode, without going through synchronization ?

Regards

Hi @didate .

At the moment this is not possible, we have been requested an immediate sync ([ANDROAPP-2959] - Jira) which would replicate somehow being online but of course, it will involve a synchronization. Can you describe better your use case to see if that wouldn’t accommodate to your needs?

If you absolutely wanted to use an Android device to use as online mode, the only way I can think of is by just opening the URL in your device’s browser.

Best.

Hello @jaime.bosque, Thank you for your response.

We don’t have a particular use case, it’s just that we have a lot of data loss due to poor data synchronization.

Regards

Hi @didate . Does this poor data synchronization means that users don’t have access to the Internet often because they travel to remote areas? Or that users are not properly (often) synchronizing?

I am trying to understand if the proposed feature could help you with this or you would need something more specifically.

1 Like

It is especially that the users do not synchronize the data correctly.

And often we encounter synchronization errors, Even if generally it is errors related to incorrect data entry.

Hey @didate , thanks for the explanation. I still however don’t understand what do you mean by “the users do not synchronize the data correctly” does this mean that the data is not sent to the server because they don’t perform the sync? If that would be the case , have you considered centrally setting an automatic data sync? This is one of the features of the Android Web Settings App (DHIS2 Android Settings Web App version 2.0.0 is released) you could, for example, set an auto sync every 30 mins.

Regarding the data entry, I am not sure how being online could help preventing that, maybe you can improve your program rules to help users fixing possible errors? In any case, we consider implementing a feature in the App that involves sending the errors from the devices to the central server for sysadmins to check ([DHIS2-9162] - Jira) should you think this could help let us know.

Best.

1 Like

Hello @jaime.bosque, Thank you for the time and the explanations,

One of the biggest problems we have encountered is handling unique attributes. The uniqueness check is only done during synchronization. What caused us great difficulty with the COVID 19 vaccination, we had to register the vaccination card number in the system. As you know, with the web application the verification is done instantly.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @didate ,

Understood, I am not sure what UNIQUE attribute you are using but maybe you could reduce the impact of this by making sure it is searchable and training the users to use that UNIQUE for searching before creating. Android App doesn’t let you add TEIs without performing a search basically to prevent this. If you would combine this with a full data sync often you might be able to avoid that. If we are taking about thousands of TEI and different OUs this might not work but still worth to let you know.

In any case, I have also added a JIRA issue so we can consider preventing this in the future: [ANDROAPP-4250] - Jira

2 Likes

Thank you so much @jaime.bosque

1 Like

Amazing discussion @didate and @jaime.bosque!

Thanks for creating the Jira issue, I added a link to this topic and would you mind if we add “CoP” to the labels as well?

2 Likes