Translation of DHIS2 to Ukrainian

(Monika Sigrist) #1

Hi,

My organisation would like to add Ukrainian as a language in which the DHIS2 platform is available (user interface and certain apps). We have translators available who can do this, but I would like some support in terms of knowing what needs to be translated, the best format to share the translation, and making this available on the DHIS2 platform. Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Monika

(James Omutsani) #2

Hi @monika,

This is a great initiative and we would love to work together in ensuring that you, as a user, are satisfied. My colleague @kjerstin is an expert in this and will offer her sound guidance on how to go about this.

Best,
James.

(Philip Larsen Donnelly) #3

Hi @monika,

That would be a welcome contribution and we are happy to support you!

The process for adding translations to the DHIS 2 platform is documented here: https://docs.dhis2.org/master/en/implementer/html/localization-of-dhis-2.html

Hopefully that has enough information to get started and explains the files and formats for localization.

One of the options (probably the easiest if you want to share the translations) is to use the online translation service. However, the person who is managing that told me recently that there is a problem with that platform preventing updates. We are therefore considering moving to another localisation platform.
Alternatively, it is possible to create the translations with the offline tool and merge back the changes later. We can help you with that too.

If you let me know the timescales you are thinking of for doing the work, then I can get more information and put you in touch with other members of our team as necessary. Feel free to message me directly if you wish.

Thanks for the initiative, and kind regards,
Phil

(Jason Pickering) #4

@monika I help to coordinate the translations for DHIS2, and @phil asked me to respond to you. As Phil mentions, we have a few challenges with the current translation workflow, however, it will work. To get you started, we will need to make a few changes to the core source code, but I can take care of that.

The easiest way probably is to use the online translation service which we have here (https://translate.dhis2.org) You and your translation team can sign up for an account there after. I would suggest that you start [here] (https://translate.dhis2.org/uk/dhis2-core/translate/dhis-2/dhis-services/dhis-service-core/src/main/resources/uk.po#filter=incomplete) . These are the core translations on the Java server. After that, there are quite a few apps which need to be translated. I can add those in due course, but its usually good to get started with the core translations first.

After you have finished that piece, please let me know and I can sync that with the source code for DHIS2.

Are there any apps in particular you are interested in translating? I would probably suggest to start with data entry and the pivot table app, since many users tend to use those apps, but it will depend a bit on your circumstance.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

(Monika Sigrist) #5

Thanks @jason, this is very helpful, and more than enough to get started! I will get in contact with the translation team and start with the DHIS2 Server Core translation. The apps I am particularly interested in are: Tracker Capture, Pivot Table, and Event Reports.

(Jason Pickering) #6

@monika I have setup the projects here. You just need to start by creating accounts on that server, and then you should be able to begin the translation process. If you need any help, feel free to reach out.