Translation of DHIS2 to Ukrainian

Hi @jason,

I haven’t heard from you in over a month! Is everything ok? We are getting pretty desperate to get this translation up and running. Is there any additional information I can provide to speed up this process? Is there something I should be communicating to our server hosts about getting this translation into our instance of DHIS2? Any updates would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Monika

1 Like

Hi @monika,

I’ll follow up with Jason on this and see what we can do to support you!

Kind regards,
Phil

2 Likes

Hi @monika
Apologies for the very late reply. For some reason, I did not see your earlier messages. Let me have a look at trying to get these backported to an earlier version. @phil and I will keep you informed.

Regards,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @monika,

The changes have been merged into the latest 2.30 build (built last night and deployed to https://play.dhis2.org/2.30). I see some Ukranian translations, but not as many as I had expected. Can you check that instance and get back to me?

Thanks,
Phil

1 Like

Hi @monika,

OK. I see now that we haven’t built all of the different app translations into the war file. That should be fixed in the nightly build tonight!
Please check the 2.30 instance tomorrow!

Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

Hi @monika

So the translations seem to be backported now (at least as far as we can tell). Perhaps you can confirm by checking on https://play.dhis2.org/2.30? (you can also take the latest 2.30 version from our downloads page)

I’m sorry that this took longer than expected. We are looking into ways to streamline this process a lot more. (I hope to address these issues within the next month or two!)

Regarding your earlier question about how much time is needed to integrate additional translations: As Jason pointed out earlier, even as we operate now we should be able to turn around the translations within a few weeks. There are a variety of factors that can affect that (some of which may change in the short- to medium- term). Basically, the more notice we have, the better! :slight_smile:

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have a specific timeline of activities which you would like to accommodate leading up to your October milestone!

Kind regards,
Phil

2 Likes

Hi @phil,

Thank you for taking this forwards! I’ve had a look at the 2.30 development version of DHIS2 and all the Ukrainian translations we have submitted seem to be there and displaying where they should be. From my end, how do I get the translations onto my instance of DHIS2?

Best,

Monika

1 Like

Hi @monika,

To get the translations you need to upgrade your server to the latest 2.30 build (war file).
(This will give you all of the latest bug-fixes too).

Does you organisation host and manage the server itself?

Kind regards,
Phil

2 Likes

Hi @phil,

No, we host with BAO Systems - but I will contact them asap so they can do this. Thank you for letting me know next steps, as it’s my first time going through this process :slight_smile:

Best,

Monika

1 Like

Hello @phil, @jason and @jomutsani

Hope you are doing well.
Last year we have contributed number of translations for few application in Ukrainian. In general we have made those translations for the master and 2.34 versions on that time and those contributions appeared on the version 2.34. And currently we are about to upgrade to 2.36 but surprisingly couldn’t find those translations applied to the version 2.36.

How it can be fixed?

Thank you.
Regards, Ulanbek

Hi @Ulanbek ,

If the original (English) strings are the same, then the translations should be there in 2.36.

I will look into to see if anything has gone wrong. If you have any specific examples please let me know in order to help me review the problem. i.e. it would be very useful to know some particular strings and apps.

Kind regards,
Phil

P.S. We maintain a status of the coverage for different locales and DHIS2 versions here: Localization & Translation - DHIS2

1 Like

Hello @phil
Thank you for your reply.
Regarding difference, you can just open transifex, and choose any app. for example here difference between version 2.34 and 2.36 for Tracker capture app.

And additionally it is really easy to find the differences between the translations by using online text comparing tools such as : Diffchecker - https://www.diffchecker.com
Just download the translations as text file for 2.34 and 2.36 and copy/paste to compare them.

Hope it helps you find out the reason

Regards,
Ulanbek

Hi @Ulanbek ,

OK, I think I understand the issue now. The translations on 2.36 are not “missing”, they are “older” translations. Is that correct?

I think what you expect is that if you update a translation in one place, that it is also updated in other places that share the translation (i.e. have the same base string)?

Unfortunately, transifex only uses existing translations to update empty translations; it doesn’t update older translations.

However, please confirm if my understanding of what you expect/want is correct, as I created some code to perform this type of update action in the past. (I may have to update part of the code as transifex have now changed their API).

Note that we could run the code periodically in order to keep only the latest translations of each unique string. That is what is most intuitive to me, and may be what we want in most cases. I was reluctant to do this in the past as there may be times when we wish to have different translations for the same strings in different apps. I’ll discuss this with some other members of our team who are focused on localisation from the end-user perspective.

Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

Morning @phil,

Yes, I can say so based on what I saw on the Transifex website and 2.36 translation.

Is there any possibility to check it before to proceed to the production server? Let’s say on play.dhis2.org

Thank you @phil

Regards, Ulanbek

Hi,

If we update transifex, then it should be available the following day on the relevant “nightly” (canary) instance on play.dhis2.org, yes. It would then be available in the next stable release for that version.

1 Like

Hi @phil,

Yes, lets check it then.
Thanks

Regards, Ulanbek

1 Like