The new DHIS2 translation platform is now available!

Dear All,

We are very pleased to announce that our new translation platform, provided by Transifex, is now available to all.

A quick guide for getting access to the platform, with answers to some basic questions, is available here: Home - DHIS2 Documentation

Some key points:

• The platform has been set up to support translations in all supported versions of DHIS2.
  • Translating a string in one version, will automatically fill-in empty translations of the same string in other versions and in other apps.
  • New and updated translations are pushed as changes to the DHIS2 source code on a nightly basis!
    The development team have to accept the changes into the code, but in general translations should be available in development builds within a few days.

We hope that with the new platform and processes in place, we can provide improved support for localisation of DHIS2.

We will continue to make improvements, as necessary, and welcome your feedback.

Kind regards,
Your DHIS2 Team!

11 Likes

This is the most wonderful news I have heard this first Monday of the last month of this 2019.

Congratulations guys!

McCurtis.

5 Likes

Really useful, guys. thank you so much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great news! When/how would a translated doc will be published on the website? We did some work on the French part and would probably extend it to the last version if this can be useful to other (ie published).

Martin

3 Likes

is there a plugin to automate flow of data from one instance to another?

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

Currently we only support French for the documentation. They are also maintained on the transifex platform, as you know.

The (localised) documentation is also built nightly and published to our documentation server. We have not set up links from our documentation page as I am awaiting reviews from a group assigned from the university. I’m sorry this has taken some time; we really appreciate the work Bluesquare put into the “End User Manual” translations!

Hint
the unofficial French translations can be viewed by replacing the /en/ with /fr/ in the URL

I’ll push on our side to make them official!

Kind regards,
Phil

P.S. We have split app translations and doc translations into two separate groups; so translators can apply to contribute to either Apps OR Documents OR Both.

2 Likes

Hi @mariak

what data are you referring to?

2 Likes

Like i have data entered in my dhis2 instance but i need it to be sent automatically to another instance. Like all data values coming from the data elements being sent to another instance having the same data elements.

2 Likes

Hi @mariak

This is a little off-topic on a thread about translations, but please see here for some info about data synchronisation: Home - DHIS2 Documentation

Kind regards,
PHil

2 Likes

Thanks Philip

2 Likes

That’s great and may encourage us moving forward with more translation.

2 Likes

Hi @phil ,

I see that now I am only able to suggest translations, no longer able to directly translate. Have you lately restrict this?

Plus, what is the policy for the suggestions? Do you routinely check them? Is there someone from the core team validating them or rather is it based on the number of votes the suggestion has?

[EDIT]
Sorry, I see now that I can only make changes in the app-properties–master, which make sense with your directions. Still the question whether in which cases should we “Change” and in which should we “Suggest” and also the procedure that the latest follows.

2 Likes

Hi @barreda,

We have not intentionally restricted translations, but once they are accepted by someone with Review privileges (status == Reviewed) then they can no longer be edited by people with Translator privileges.

When we migrated from the previous platform, we set a large percentage of the strings to Reviewed, under the assumption that they were already “correct”. However, that assumption doesn’t hold in many cases.
That means we would definitely welcome change suggestions.

We want to build up teams of Reviewers for the various languages, and it is the role of the reviewers to check both new translations, and suggestions.

If members of the community would like to be considered as Reviewers for a particular language, they are welcome to contact us at translate@dhis2.org. As supporting information we are interested in your role in the community, and relevant experience.

Lastly, Although we do strongly prefer people to translate the master resources (as it simplifies the process and serves the larger community better) we are not intentionally restricting translations on any versions; we value all and any contributions from the community. If someone wants to translate an app in 2.31 only, for example, we are still very grateful!

Kind regards,
Phil

We would ideally like to get all strings to Reviewed status, and only pull reviewed strings into the code. However, to begin with we see getting translations in as the priority; therefore all translated strings are pulled into the code.

4 Likes

P.S. We will also consider promoting Translators to Reviewers temporarily if and when that makes sense to achieve particular translation objectives.

4 Likes

Great to know @phil. Might work for a language team with many members. For smaller groups might be tricky. Not sure if it makes sense if I got promoted temporarily then I approved my own translation for example. But can’t always wait until the team is built, can we? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good copy @phil, thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @aprisa,

Personally, I see no problem with having native speakers, who are experts in DHIS2, accepting their own translations.

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Encountered the conflict Period: 201203 is after latest open future period: 201202 for data element: VdDe2K63Da2

can add chinese to all program ?

2 Likes