Restricting visuals on one dashboard to different user groups

Hi All,

I apologise in advance if this question has been addressed already, but I could not find this specifically on the community.

We have two NGO’s (attributed to two different User Groups) that are working in the same Org Units, while using the same Capture programs. Right now, the visuals on the dashboard display the data of the two User groups together (maps showing locations generated by both groups, visuals showing data from both groups etc).

My question is as follows:

Is it possible to have the visuals on the same dashboard showing data for one user group only? For example, can the dashboard be set up as follows:

The map and graphs showing the data generated only by User Group 1.
Spacer added.
The map and graphs showing the data generated only by User Group 2

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as even creating two dashboards (each shared with one user group) doesn’t seem to solve the problem as the visuals still display the data generated by both user groups as its associated with the org unit and program.

Thank you in advance,

Andre

Instance version: 2.32.4

Hey @ACoetzer1988,

Let me start by asking you please, doesn’t this sound like the “Implementing Partner” i.e. using a data dimension category? My suggestion is the category will be “NGO” and the category options will be the two NGO’s. In the dashboard/visualizations/maps it will be possible to use the data dimension category as a filter.

Please know I’m a beginner but I always read about category options being misused so proceed with caution. I will ask for support and see if anyone else would like to comment. Hope this helps! Thanks! (:

2 Likes

Hi @ACoetzer1988, as @Gassim writes, it sounds like you should look at using a category combination to apply another disaggregation to the program. User groups are design to control access to metadata and data, but they do not add any dimensionality to the data, i.e. you cannot used them as a basis for analysis.

Using a category combination applied to the program (an “attribute category”) allows the users to select which NGO they are entering data for in the Capture app, and let’s you use the disaggregation in the analytics apps. It is described here in the context of aggregate data sets: Home - DHIS2 Documentation
I haven’t personally tried this feature for programs, but since the option is enabled for programs both in the maintenance/configuration and in the Capture app, I assume it works the same way as for aggregate data sets.

If you need to apply such a disaggregation to the data that have already been entered you would need to export the existing data from DHIS2, modify it to use a category combination-based disaggregation, and then re-import it. You should hopefully be able to derive the correct disaggregation of the existing data based on the user/username associated with it.

If it’s not critical to apply the disaggregation to the existing data, it is possible that you can still use the already existing data as today (without the disaggregation) without making any changes to it even if you apply the category combination to the program and use that going forward. I’ve not tested this. Worst case the existing data must also be changed if you modify the program by adding a category combination.

2 Likes

Dear @Olav and @Gassim,

Thank you for the guidance. The proposed course of action (attribute category) works well and disaggregates the data as expected. Thank you so much!

One new problem is that, as a Superadmin, I can see the category options as a dropdown when using the capture program, but a regular user cannot. A regular user sees that there is a dropdown for selecting an implementing partner (NGO) but the dropdown is empty.

I tried changing the sharing settings of the category options, category and category combination but no luck. Is there something in the user rights that dictates whether a user can see category options?

I apologise for questions that might have obvious answers and thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Andre

Dear All,

I found the solution for the attribute category that had no dropdown for regular users. Below are the steps I took:

1. Go to Maintenance
  2. Select Category option (listing)
  3. For each Category option, click the menu (three vertical dots) and then Sharing Settings.
  4. Click the setting for public access (left of the two icons)
  5. Select METADATA → Can Edit and view
  6. Select DATA → Can capture and view
  7. Close, then continue doing the same with all other Category options.

Kind regards,

Andre

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing!

True, but we can also select specific users or groups rather than “public access!”

Hi @Gassim,

Thank you for following up. I did exactly that after posting the message.

The category options are now shared with the specific user group - ensuring that users only see the correct category option in the dropdown :relaxed:

Thanks!

1 Like