OptionSet and Yes-only Data Elements on Aggregated

Hi everyone - I have a question about the rendering on Option Sets and Yes-Only on DataSets (Aggregated). On Tracker (DataElement.Domain = Patient), OptionSet and Yes-only data elements successfully render as either a dynamic drop-down or a tick box. But on Aggregated they render as a simple text box. On the other hand, Yes/No does render as a drop-down. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? I’m using multiple versions of DHIS, including the latest release of 2.11.

Below a screenshot in Tracker, which works as expected

Below, rendering as a DataSet: no dropdown option or tick box get redenred….

R

···

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter: @RodolfoMelia

Hi,

OpionSets are only supported in the tracker, assigning an optionset to an aggregate type data element will not have any effect.

Olav

···

Den 26. mars 2013 kl. 12:36 skrev Rodolfo Melia rmelia@knowming.com:

Hi everyone - I have a question about the rendering on Option Sets and Yes-Only on DataSets (Aggregated). On Tracker (DataElement.Domain = Patient), OptionSet and Yes-only data elements successfully render as either a dynamic drop-down or a tick box. But on Aggregated they render as a simple text box. On the other hand, Yes/No does render as a drop-down. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? I’m using multiple versions of DHIS, including the latest release of 2.11.

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

ok. What about ‘Yes-Only’ ?

···

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Olav Poppe olav.poppe@me.com wrote:

Hi,

OpionSets are only supported in the tracker, assigning an optionset to an aggregate type data element will not have any effect.

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Note: Please note my new email address, which I will be using for PSI related work: rmelia@knowming.com

Hi Olav - just to finish the conversation above. It is clear that Option Sets are not supported by a DataSet on the aggregated side.

What it is not clear to me is if the ‘Yes Only’, which renders as a ‘tick box’ on Tracker, should render or not on the DataSets for the aggregated side. It will great if it does, as it will improve significantly the use of DHIS on a tablet - I’m trying to do a long questionnaire that needs to be run every 6 months, and the people running the survey will complete it using a tablet. Most of the questions are True/False. At the moment a Yes/No/Null means two interaction: one to open the drop-down, one to select; a Tick-box will be a single interaction, and when completing over 100+ questions, it will make a significant difference to the users.

R

···

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Rodolfo Melia rmelia@knowming.com wrote:

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Note: Please note my new email address, which I will be using for PSI related work: rmelia@knowming.com

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Hi,
I have not really tried to use the “yes only” in aggregate, but I can see that it renders as a text box instead of a tick mark like you say. Someone else will have to respond to whether there is any reason for this, like if the “yes only” is not supported in aggregate like the option sets.

Olav

···
  1. mars 2013 kl. 16:05 skrev Rodolfo Melia rmelia@knowming.com:

Hi Olav - just to finish the conversation above. It is clear that Option Sets are not supported by a DataSet on the aggregated side.

What it is not clear to me is if the ‘Yes Only’, which renders as a ‘tick box’ on Tracker, should render or not on the DataSets for the aggregated side. It will great if it does, as it will improve significantly the use of DHIS on a tablet - I’m trying to do a long questionnaire that needs to be run every 6 months, and the people running the survey will complete it using a tablet. Most of the questions are True/False. At the moment a Yes/No/Null means two interaction: one to open the drop-down, one to select; a Tick-box will be a single interaction, and when completing over 100+ questions, it will make a significant difference to the users.

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Hi Olav. I’m assuming that you don’t allow an ‘Option Set’ on the Aggregated forms because there isn’t any aggregation (sum, avg) that you can do we that sort of values (well, you can do count…). Still I think it will be useful, because there are calculation (indicators) or validations that you will be able to do with that info. But that’s for another day.

For the ‘Yes only’, which is very similar to Yes/No/False, you can do sum, average or count. What I plan to do is to calculate a performance index based on the number of yes for the bi-annual questionnaire that needs to be run in all facilities. The reason that I will prefer a tick box, rather than the current drop down of Yes/No/False, is to improve user experience by having a single click/ finger action. If you think that these forms will have 150+ questions, run every 6 months, in 300 facilities… that’s about 90,000 mouse clicks (or finger clicks) that I can save to the 15 facility coordinators that are responsible for this process in Kenya. We have similar questionnaires that we want to implement using DHIS in other 45 countries: so we can improve PSI facility supervisors’ work by eliminating up to 4m clicks (mouse or finger) every year !

Rodolfo

···

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Olav Poppe olav.poppe@me.com wrote:

Hi,
I have not really tried to use the “yes only” in aggregate, but I can see that it renders as a text box instead of a tick mark like you say. Someone else will have to respond to whether there is any reason for this, like if the “yes only” is not supported in aggregate like the option sets.

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

That’s a lot of clicks…. Agree that it would be a good idea to support check-boxes, I’m not sure why it isn’t currently.

Olav

···
  1. mars 2013 kl. 12:03 skrev Rodolfo Melia rmelia@knowming.com:

Hi Olav. I’m assuming that you don’t allow an ‘Option Set’ on the Aggregated forms because there isn’t any aggregation (sum, avg) that you can do we that sort of values (well, you can do count…). Still I think it will be useful, because there are calculation (indicators) or validations that you will be able to do with that info. But that’s for another day.

For the ‘Yes only’, which is very similar to Yes/No/False, you can do sum, average or count. What I plan to do is to calculate a performance index based on the number of yes for the bi-annual questionnaire that needs to be run in all facilities. The reason that I will prefer a tick box, rather than the current drop down of Yes/No/False, is to improve user experience by having a single click/ finger action. If you think that these forms will have 150+ questions, run every 6 months, in 300 facilities… that’s about 90,000 mouse clicks (or finger clicks) that I can save to the 15 facility coordinators that are responsible for this process in Kenya. We have similar questionnaires that we want to implement using DHIS in other 45 countries: so we can improve PSI facility supervisors’ work by eliminating up to 4m clicks (mouse or finger) every year !

Rodolfo

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Olav Poppe olav.poppe@me.com wrote:

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

We’ve been working some more with the patient records module as well and have discovered that the category combinations don’t render either.

For example we have data we’re collecting on number of VCT tests by different at risks groups (MARPS). I was trying to set up a data entry form with category combos for the columns, but doesn’t seem to work. No matter how you set up your data element, it seems to revert to displaying one column only.

···

Type of MARPs

FSW

MSM

TD

Fishermen

PwD

1. People reached by peer educators

2. Contacts with people where interpersonal communication was provided

3. People who received condoms

This is easy to do in aggregate records, but unfortunately our use case requires more than one report per orgunit per period (i.e. different partner organizations report for the same periods).

Randy

From: dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net [mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Olav Poppe

Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:36 PM

To: Rodolfo Melia

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net; James Chang

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] OptionSet and Yes-only Data Elements on Aggregated

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

HI Randy,

Category combinations are not supported in the Tracker (patient) data model.

Your example seems to fit within the aggregate data domain as it looks like a summary form for many events/activities.

Why did you go for Tracker (patient domain data elements) for this data?

Ola

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP
Department of Informatics
University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

On 27 March 2013 19:52, Wilson,Randy rwilson@msh.org wrote:

We’ve been working some more with the patient records module as well and have discovered that the category combinations don’t render either.

For example we have data we’re collecting on number of VCT tests by different at risks groups (MARPS). I was trying to set up a data entry form with category combos for the columns, but doesn’t seem to work. No matter how you set up your data element, it seems to revert to displaying one column only.

Type of MARPs

FSW

MSM

TD

Fishermen

PwD

1. Contacts with people where interpersonal communication was provided
  1. People who received condoms

This is easy to do in aggregate records, but unfortunately our use case requires more than one report per orgunit per period (i.e. different partner organizations report for the same periods).

Randy

From: dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net [mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Olav Poppe

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Hi Rodolfo,

yes we simply haven’t had the time to put this in. Will do it, we might also backport to 2.11 if its a small fix.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/data-entry-yes-only

I agree that it might save some fingertips per year. Please note that with Yes-only we cannot distinguish between “no value” and “false”. This might be challenging when 1) there are certain data elements which are not applicable for the org unit in the form, and 2) when we want to calculate the average, where the denominator is number of true + number of false…

Lars

···

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

HI Randy,

Your example seems to fit within the aggregate data domain as it looks like a summary form for many events/activities.

Ola

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP
University of Oslo

Type of MARPs

FSW

MSM

TD

Fishermen

PwD

Randy

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

This sounds like the same problems we face in Nigeria, with a lot of the USG data. There may be multiple partners working in a clinic, usually not performing the same activity. We handle this by creating an orgunit below the facility. However, this has problems as well, as the orgunit hierarchy needs to potentially be populated with an orgunit for each partner. This has serious negative effects on the performance of the datamart, as the number of orgunits in the hierarchy increases as a function of the number of facilities and the number of partners. . In our case, each partner should only have access to enter data to their own facilities, but because of the way that authority is granted downwards in the orgunit hierarchy, one must be careful in allocating each orgunit to a specific partner, with no access to the facility level unit. It is also a real pain to maintain.

Again, I think this comes back to the elusive “source” dimension, which it seems someone thought about at sometime, which is actually distinct from the orgunit dimension.

···

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

HI Randy,

Ola

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP
University of Oslo

Type of MARPs

FSW

MSM

TD

Fishermen

PwD

Randy

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter:
@RodolfoMelia

1 Like

Yes Ola, Jason put his finger on the problem. Data needs to be entered by partners – and we haven’t found a way to include them in the hierarchy. Partners work in multiple districts and each district has multiple partners. Even if I add a text field in the aggregate dataelement category, The aggregate reporting will not allow more than one partner to report at a given orgunit level per reporting period.

The event reporting module gets around that issue, but has many issues:

· no support for category combos

· Does not include these data elements in the datamart tables – and consequently charts, maps, report tables

· No support for greying fields in section forms

Rather than adding all of this functionality into the case based reporting system, I think it would be easiest in some future release to add support for a many-to-many relationship between a partner (or source) table and the organisationunit table and make that part of datavalue table.

Randy

···

This sounds like the same problems we face in Nigeria, with a lot of the USG data. There may be multiple partners working in a clinic, usually not performing the same activity. We handle this by creating an orgunit below the facility. However, this has problems as well, as the orgunit hierarchy needs to potentially be populated with an orgunit for each partner. This has serious negative effects on the performance of the datamart, as the number of orgunits in the hierarchy increases as a function of the number of facilities and the number of partners. . In our case, each partner should only have access to enter data to their own facilities, but because of the way that authority is granted downwards in the orgunit hierarchy, one must be careful in allocating each orgunit to a specific partner, with no access to the facility level unit. It is also a real pain to maintain.

Again, I think this comes back to the elusive “source” dimension, which it seems someone thought about at sometime, which is actually distinct from the orgunit dimension.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

HI Randy,

Ola

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP

University of Oslo

Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway.
Googlemaps link

Type of MARPs

FSW

MSM

TD

Fishermen

PwD

2. Contacts with people where interpersonal communication was provided

3. People who received condoms

Randy

From: dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net
[mailto:dhis2-users-bounces+rwilson=msh.org@lists.launchpad.net] On Behalf Of Olav Poppe

Hi,

Olav

R

Hi,

Olav

<image.png>

<image.png>

R

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Rodolfo Meliá

Principal

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

1 Like