Installing new test DHIS2 system on MS Windows - 404

Hi I have followed instructions on
http://dhis-2.blogspot.com/

and everything worked fine until the last part
7. Access DHIS2 using the web browser: http://localhost:8080/dhis/
Username: admin
Password: district

when I got a ‘404 not found’ message. I have screenshots of the config as set up.
Can someone help me get past this please?
Claire

5 Likes

Hi @clairebre,

Congratulations on the progress you have made.

Kindly share the screenshots of the error message.

Best,
James.

3 Likes

Here you go James.

I hope they help to solve the problem.

Many thanks,

Claire

4 Likes

Hi @clairebre,

Thanks for sharing this. As the team and our members have a look at this, you can check out this link; docs.dhis2.org for more information on implementing DHIS2.

Best,
James.

3 Likes

Thanks for that James. I am working through the documentation now.

I installed DHIS2 on a Dell Latitude 5480 with 16GB of RAM running 64 bit Microsoft Windows 10.

I followed these instructions (the Windows part starts half way down)

https://dhis-2.blogspot.com/

Happy New Year!

Claire

4 Likes

Hi James,

Further to my reply. I have also tried to run DHIS2 Live as it seems like a simpler way to get started.

I installed JRE as instructed, downloaded DHIS2 Live and ran the executable Jar file.

It started but then gave me a ‘503’ error in the browser.

I have looked through the logs and the first thing that seems to be incorrect is this message.

• ERROR 2018-05-04 17:27:20,529 Dispatcher initialization failed (CommonsLogger.java [Thread-2])

Unable to load configuration. - bean - jar:file:/home/lars/dev/live/webapps/dhis/WEB-INF/lib/struts2-core-2.3.32.jar!/struts-default.xml:105:150

I have attached the log; there are a few startup attempts at 17:27, 17:45, 18:11 and 18:16 so there is a lot of replication of the same errors.

Are there some files missing ?

THANKS and all best,

Claire

Claire F Brereton FACS CEng GAICD MPH

UQ Child Health Research Centre

Ph: +61 419 901107

Email: claire.brereton@uq.edu.au

twitter
Twitter: clairebre

ORCID
ORCID 0000-0001-8686-4237

dhis.log (51.3 KB)

4 Likes

@Knut_Staring/ @bobj - are you able to assist @clairebre with this issue, please?

Best,
James.

3 Likes

@Knut_Staring
@bobj

Hi I reinstalled and still get the ‘503’ error.
I attach the log file.
It doesn’t seem to pick up line starts so I have gone through and put in breaks at the *WARN messages to make it a bit easier to read.dhis20190401CB.log (51.3 KB)

Thanks for your help,
Claire

3 Likes

Hello Claire,
Sorry to see you are having many issues - most lately with DHIS2 Live, it seems? I just had a brief look at dhis.conf, and it seems to be a bit particular, in that it is set up to assume that you have Postgres installed and have created a user “dhis” with password “dhis” which is the owner of an empty database called “dev”. Does that description fit your setup?

4 Likes

Hi @Knut_Staring, according to the instructions in the documentation there is a built in database in DHIS2 Live and all you need is JRE installed for it to work. So I installed JRE.

From
https://docs.dhis2.org/master/en/implementer/html/dhis2_implementation_guide_full.html
which James pointed me to.

4 Likes

Hi @clairebre,

I would request you install PostgreSQL 9.6 or higher in your system and try using the instructions @Knut_Staring has shared. @Lars had shared some release notes you can check out on 2.31 upgrade notes that specifies the use of PostgreSQL 9.6 or higher version.

I will also try it out on my machine and see if it’s successful based on the information offered. Kindly let us know if this works out well.

Best,
James.

3 Likes

Hi @clairebre, unfortunately I am not sure the instructions are accurate anymore (have not had time to fully explore this), so for recent versions of DHIS2 the best approach may be to install Postgres 10 or 11:
https://www.openscg.com/bigsql/postgresql/installers.jsp/

4 Likes

Yes I have had a few issues – but working through them is how you learn so I am OK with that as long as I have support at hand
:blush: Are you based in Oslo Knut?

Claire F Brereton FACS CEng GAICD MPH

UQ Child Health Research Centre

Ph: +61 419 901107

Email: claire.brereton@uq.edu.au

twitter
Twitter: clairebre

ORCID
ORCID 0000-0001-8686-4237

4 Likes

Hi Claire, I was in Oslo before (and will visit again in a week), but currently working for WHO in Geneva.

Regards,

Knut

4 Likes

Hi Claire

I suspect that dhis2 live may in fact no longer work with current versions of DHIS2, not least because that as of 2.29 DHIS2 requires postgresql so the embedded H2 database may no longer work.

I am the original author of dhis2-live (nearly 10 years ago) and I am not sure I would recommend it. I have not used it myself for many years. I believe Knut probably used it more than most for tests and demos and the like. Probably it is end of life now unless there is a champion wanting to revive it.

I think for now, if you want to run dhis2 on windows you will get more mileage out of putting the pieces together “manually” rather than the (admittedly convenient) bundling that dhis2-live offers.

I am sure there are quite a few people who are working with DHIS2 on windows in our community who could share some instructions of what they do. Its not that difficult but just needs somebody to share their tried and tested recipe(s) … unfortunately I am not one of them at the moment :-(. I am thinking people like Knut.

Best,
Bob

4 Likes

Thanks Bob.

I really appreciate the heads up.

I will have a quick look at Knut’s instructions for getting DHIS2 Live to work and then I will revert to the full installation instructions
which were sent to me by Shurajit Dhutta.

http://dhis-2.blogspot.com/

I have already hit an issue with these instructions and have asked for support on this. It was whilst I was reading support material
that I came across the DHIS2-Live option and decided to try it out to see whether I could get a faster start.

I have installations in progress on two machines so I will try one with DHIS2-Live and keep going with debugging the ‘manual’ option
on the other. I have no interest in reviving DHIS2-Live if it is end of life., rather I just want to get a working setup that I can use to set up prototype Children’s Environmental Health Indicators for the Pacific Islands.

All best and thanks again for reaching out,

Claire

4 Likes

Hi Claire,

I still use DHIS2 Live with postgres occassionally and it does work, you just have to modify the conf file to point to the database you have created in postgres. That being said, as bob suggested it is better to get it up and running via tomcat if possible. When you start up tomcat do you get a message that the server has started up in XXX ms

4 Likes

宠惩Ɣ

dhis.log (51.3 KB)

3 Likes

Pet punishment?

3 Likes

Not sure I understand!

p.s. when I installed PostGres I selected the ‘Australia’ rather than the default – would that make any difference?

Thanks,

Claire

4 Likes