How to Track a Patient across multiple org units for the same program

Hi all,

Not sure how the patient tracker handles patient registration in a program that cuts across multiple orgunits. This is a scenario:

• Patient is admitted into a ward (e.g medical).

a) This is where the patient details are registered and enrolled into the midnight census program

-Admissions is the first stage of the program

b) Patient stays x number of nights in this ward

c) Patient is then separated e.g. transferred internally…

- Separation is the second event (program stage)

- Inpatient days can be calculated by ward

• If patient is transferred to another speciality within the same ward the event is just repeated i.e. admissions and separation…

• However, if the transfer is to a different ward, we have to choose a different org unit. At this stage, the patient is already registered so we don’t want to have to register the patient again. We would want to

a) Choose new org unit

b) Find patient details

b) Enrol into the same program

• Maybe I just don’t understand the patient module enough but at the moment it seems like you can’t track the same patient across multiple orgunits for the same program

Would appreciate if anyone can throw some light on how to do this.

Kind regards,

Busoye

Hi Busoye,

If provided the authority to do so the user at the second facility can search and find the person and open the person dashboard. There the user can continue endring data for new stages in the same enrollment or enroll into the program again (if the previous enrolment was completed).

By authority I refer to the authorities you can assign to user roles in DHIS 2. On the phone now and can’t look up the exact name of this authority, but think it’s called something like ‘Search Persons in all facilities’.

There is also a ‘Search Person in User facilities’ that limit the search to the subtree of the orgunit hierarchy the user can see (has been assigned), if e.g the user is located at a district office supporting multiple facilities or I guess at a hospital supporting multiple words.

Being able to track individuals over time AND across facilities (orgunits) is supported and one of the key use cases for Tracker.

Ola

···

On 28 Aug 2013 09:51, “Adebusoye Anifalaje” busoye@hisp.org wrote:

Hi all,

Not sure how the patient tracker handles patient registration in a program that cuts across multiple orgunits. This is a scenario:

a) This is where the patient details are registered and enrolled into the midnight census program

b) Patient stays x number of nights in this ward

• If patient is transferred to another speciality within the same ward the event is just repeated i.e. admissions and separation…
  • However, if the transfer is to a different ward, we have to choose a different org unit. At this stage, the patient is already registered so we don’t want to have to register the patient again. We would want to

a) Choose new org unit

b) Find patient details

• Maybe I just don’t understand the patient module enough but at the moment it seems like you can’t track the same patient across multiple orgunits for the same program

Kind regards,

Busoye

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi Ola,

This is most useful. We have been testing with a single superuser login and the same user trying to register the same patient across orgunits. We will try your suggestion with a couple of users profiles.

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Busoye

···

On 28 Aug 2013, at 17:25, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

Hi Busoye,

If provided the authority to do so the user at the second facility can search and find the person and open the person dashboard. There the user can continue endring data for new stages in the same enrollment or enroll into the program again (if the previous enrolment was completed).

By authority I refer to the authorities you can assign to user roles in DHIS 2. On the phone now and can’t look up the exact name of this authority, but think it’s called something like ‘Search Persons in all facilities’.

There is also a ‘Search Person in User facilities’ that limit the search to the subtree of the orgunit hierarchy the user can see (has been assigned), if e.g the user is located at a district office supporting multiple facilities or I guess at a hospital supporting multiple words.

Being able to track individuals over time AND across facilities (orgunits) is supported and one of the key use cases for Tracker.

Ola

Hi all,

b)  Patient stays x number of nights in this ward
a) Choose new org unit
b) Find patient details

Kind regards,

Busoye

Hi Ola and DHIS2 Users,

We have created an In-Patient programme with 2 programme stages: Admissions and Separation (e.g. discharge, death, transfer etc) (see attached). I can’t seem to be able to find a way for the system to calculate in-patient days. We want to be able to count the days between admission and discharge – the admission day is included, the discharge day is not included (so if I am admitted on 1st, and discharged on 5th, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are counted, but not the 5th… This should then be aggregated monthly (see attached file for variations). Maybe there is an obvious and straightforward approach that I just can’t see. Inputs would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Busoye

···

On 28 Aug 2013, at 16:25, Ola Hodne Titlestad olati@ifi.uio.no wrote:

Hi Busoye,

Ola

Hi all,

a) Choose new org unit
b) Find patient details

Kind regards,

Busoye

Hi Busoye,

Will look at this in more detail later, but a quick question now:

Why did you decide to split admission and discharge into two separate stages?

Looking at the history of a patient with multiple admissions, like your screenshot, it will be difficult to find admission-separation pairs right?

I think also the aggregation queries will be easier to manage if you merge these two into one stage/event.

Ola

Multiple Events.tiff (47.1 KB)

In-Patient days Use Cases.tiff (105 KB)

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
Department of Informatics

University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Eftasåsen 68, 0687 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

On 9 September 2013 13:26, Adebusoye Anifalaje busoye@hisp.org wrote:

Hi Ola and DHIS2 Users,

We have created an In-Patient programme with 2 programme stages: Admissions and Separation (e.g. discharge, death, transfer etc) (see attached). I can’t seem to be able to find a way for the system to calculate in-patient days. We want to be able to count the days between admission and discharge – the admission day is included, the discharge day is not included (so if I am admitted on 1st, and discharged on 5th, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are counted, but not the 5th… This should then be aggregated monthly (see attached file for variations). Maybe there is an obvious and straightforward approach that I just can’t see. Inputs would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Busoye

Hi Busoye,

Ola

Hi all,

a) Choose new org unit
b) Find patient details

Kind regards,

Busoye

Hi Ola,

Thanks for looking into this.

With regards to your point about admission and separation pairs, an admission must be followed by a separation (although we can’t enforce this rule) and the Report dates will help structure the pairs. I revisited the reason why we wanted two stages. The main reason was that, in practice the two events are separate and we need to be able to aggregate by both admission and separation dates. As far as I know, the aggregation builder is run based on the Report date which we have set as Admission Date in Stage 1 and Separation Date in Stage 2. Having said that, I actually prefer the simplicity of a 1-stage repeatable program. The separation date and all other element can remain compulsory but I imagine they don’t have to be filled during admission and can be left blank. The good thing is you wouldn’t be able to complete the program until all compulsory fields have been filled. If there is a way around getting aggregates based on data elements, I would be interested in it.

I am keen to know how other users deal with this use case. My guess is that quite a few people must have implemented programs for in-patient days maybe with slight variations.

Best regards,

Busoye

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP

University of Oslo

Hi Ola and DHIS2 Users,

Many thanks

Busoye

Hi Busoye,

Ola

Hi all,

a) Choose new org unit
b) Find patient details

Kind regards,

Busoye

Hi,

in Ghana they have implemented an in-patient programme using the Tracker. They use the anonymous/“single event without registration” programme, and thus do not register the patients. All data is collected in the same stage, with the admission and discharge dates being data elements. All data entry is done after the patient is discharged. The “discharge date” is in fact not needed as a data element, as the report date is also set to the discharge date (this is enforced with a validation rule).

It is more or less the same as with the inpatient programme on the demo server (http://apps.dhis2.org/demo), so you can have a look there to see how it works.

Olav

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP

University of Oslo

Hi Ola and DHIS2 Users,

Many thanks

Busoye

Hi Busoye,

Ola

Hi all,

a) Choose new org unit
b) Find patient details

Kind regards,

Busoye