How to handle an organisational unit that works in multiple districts

Hi All,

I am designing a database for an organization that works with multiple local NGOs (14 NGOs in all) as the Implementing Partners (IPs) for the said organization.

There are 40 districts in all. For the sake of this description, I will name the districts as district_1, district_2, district_3, and so on. and the IPs as IP1, IP2, IP3, and so on.
Each of the IPs works in multiple districts; for example IP1 and IP2 each works in all the 40 districts.

Each IP specializes in one program area. For example, IP1 does only HIV/AIDS while IP2 focuses on Gender & Human Rights.
The organization needs to be able to know the results of each IP from each district every month.

I am therefore planning to set up the organisation unit names in the DHIS 2 database as follows:
For IP1 and IP2, I’m considering the following orgUnit names:

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40
IP2_d40

I would appreciate suggestions on how to handle this piece, especially if there’s a better way than this approach and would also like to hear from anyone who had had to deal with this type of situation and how they handled the orgUnit names.

Thank you so much.

John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Mobile: +233 234691626+233 234691626

Email: jnojo@yahoo.com

Hi John,
You should probably consider using the new feature of the category option group sets. This allows a mechanism to have multiple reports for a single organisation unit and time period, which would be disaggregated by for instance, “Implementing partner” and “Project”. You can take a look at the new documentation here which describes how to set this up.

The problem with the approach which you propose is that the maintenance of the orgunit hierarchy becomes complicated if you are dealing with a lot of IPs. If it is a small number, it may be possible, but has proven to be a big headache in other implementations where this type of information needs to be recorded.

Best regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:21 AM, John Ojo jnojo@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi All,

I am designing a database for an organization that works with multiple local NGOs (14 NGOs in all) as the Implementing Partners (IPs) for the said organization.

There are 40 districts in all. For the sake of this description, I will name the districts as district_1, district_2, district_3, and so on. and the IPs as IP1, IP2, IP3, and so on.

Each of the IPs works in multiple districts; for example IP1 and IP2 each works in all the 40 districts.

Each IP specializes in one program area. For example, IP1 does only HIV/AIDS while IP2 focuses on Gender & Human Rights.

The organization needs to be able to know the results of each IP from each district every month.

I am therefore planning to set up the organisation unit names in the DHIS 2 database as follows:

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40
IP2_d40

I would appreciate suggestions on how to handle this piece, especially if there’s a better way than this approach and would also like to hear from anyone who had had to deal with this type of situation and how they handled the orgUnit names.

Thank you so much.

John

**John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Will look at the documentation.
Many thanks,
John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi John,
You should probably consider using the new feature of the category option group sets. This allows a mechanism to have multiple reports for a single organisation unit and time period, which would be disaggregated by for instance, “Implementing partner” and “Project”. You can take a look at the new documentation here which describes how to set this up.

The problem with the approach which you propose is that the maintenance of the orgunit hierarchy becomes complicated if you are dealing with a lot of IPs. If it is a small number, it may be possible, but has proven to be a big headache in other implementations where this type of information needs to be recorded.

Best regards,

Jason

···

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:56 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

I am therefore planning to set up the organisation unit names in the DHIS 2 database as
follows:

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40
IP2_d40

Thank you so much.

John

**John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi,

first thanks to Jason for the nice work on upgrading our docs.

In this case John its also relevant to look at the new “attribute” type categories. The categories as you know them are now referred to as type “disaggregation” - the new type is referred to as “attribute” and should be linked to a data set.

This allows you to create a category of type attribute called “Implementing Partner”, where you can include category options for each of your partners. Remember to tick “use as data dimension” and dimension type “attribute” when creating the category. Then wrap this category in a category combination also called “Implementing partner” and assign this category combination to the data set where you collect your partner oriented data (in edit data set screen > category combination).

Now when opening data entry you will see that you must, in addition to org unit/data set/period, select the partner that should be “attributed” the data, before the data entry form appears. After entering data and running analytics, the partner dimension will also become available in pivot table and visualizer for data analysis.

All this is available in 2.14.

In 2.15 we will introduce more features like access control per category option (preventing partners to see each others data) and category option groups + group sets (like Jason indicates, for further classification and analysis of category options, for instance by funding agency).

We are interested in feedback on these features so let us know how it goes.

regards,

Lars

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:50 AM, John Ojo jnojo@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

Many thanks,

John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:56 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi John,

Best regards,

Jason

Hi All,

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40

IP2_d40

Thank you so much.

John

**John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the detailed explanation which is quite helpful. As always with new technology, it takes some time to master. I’m rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty with this. Will surely provide feedback and likely need more guidance to pull this through.

Thank you once again. Will be back soon.
John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi,

In this case John its also relevant to look at the new “attribute” type categories. The categories as you know them are now referred to as type “disaggregation” - the new type is referred to as “attribute” and should be linked to a data set.

This allows you to create a category of type attribute called “Implementing Partner”, where you can include category options for each of your partners. Remember to tick “use as data dimension” and dimension type “attribute” when creating the category. Then wrap this category in a category combination also called “Implementing partner” and assign this category combination to the data set where you collect your partner oriented data (in edit data set screen > category combination).

Now when opening data entry you will see that you must, in addition to org unit/data set/period, select the partner that should be “attributed” the data, before the data entry form appears. After entering data and running analytics, the partner dimension will also become available in pivot table and visualizer for data analysis.

In 2.15 we will introduce more features like access control per category option (preventing partners to see each others data) and category option groups + group sets (like Jason indicates, for further classification and analysis of category options, for instance by funding agency).

regards,

Lars

···

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:49 AM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

Many thanks,

John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi John,
You should probably
consider using the new feature of the category option group sets. This allows a mechanism to have multiple reports for a single organisation unit and time period, which would be disaggregated by for instance, “Implementing partner” and “Project”. You can take a look at the new documentation here which describes how to set this up.

Best regards,

Jason

Hi All,

I am therefore planning to set up the organisation unit names in the DHIS 2 database as
follows:

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40

IP2_d40

Thank you so much.

John

**John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the detailed explanation which is quite helpful. As always
with new technology, it takes some time to master. I'm rolling up my
sleeves and getting my hands dirty with this. Will surely provide feedback
and likely need more guidance to pull this through.

That's the spirit :wink: Thanks John.

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM, John Ojo <jnojo@yahoo.com> wrote:

Its actually well documented by Jason here:

Its actually well documented by Jason here:

http://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/user/html/ch04.html#dataElementCategory

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi,

The Combination of categories box on the Edit Data Element page is empty and not displaying the data element category combination I created.

The following is what I did:

Step 1: Created some data element category options (names of the IPs were the category options)

Step 2: Created a Category as follows

Name: Implementing Partner

Use as data dimension: Checked

Dimension type: Attribute

Step 3: Created a Data element category combination as follows:
Name: Implementing Partner

Dimension type: Attribute

Selected categories: Implementing Partner           

Step 4: Attempted to created a data element. After entering the name and short name of the data element, I opened the Combination of categories box expecting to find “Implementing Partner” listed so I could select it but then found the Combination of categories box empty (showing only “default” as its content.

Did I miss any step? Help needed please.
John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the detailed explanation which is quite helpful. As always with new technology, it takes some time to master. I’m rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty with this. Will surely provide feedback and likely need more guidance to pull this through.

Thank you once again. Will be back soon.
John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Mobile: +233 234691626+233 234691626+233 234691626+233 234691626

Hi,

regards,

Lars

···

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:54 AM, John Ojo jnojo@yahoo.com wrote:
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:49 AM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

Many thanks,

John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi John,
You should probably
consider using the new feature of the category option group sets. This allows a mechanism to have multiple reports for a single organisation unit and time period, which would be disaggregated by for instance, “Implementing partner” and “Project”. You can take a look at the new documentation here which describes how to set this up.

Best regards,

Jason

Hi All,

follows:

District_1
IP1_d1
IP2_d1

District_2
IP1_d2
IP2_d2

District_3
IP1_d3
IP2_d3

District_40
IP1_d40

IP2_d40

Thank you so much.

John

**John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

Hi John,

you must assign to the data set, not the data elements. The attribute
category combos are linked to data sets.

Hi Lars & Jason,

It Works!
I have attached a small screenshot as a proof that the attributes categories concept works so excellently. Wow. You guys are fantastic!

Thank you so much for giving us this wonderful tool. Now I can concentrate on my client’s needs knowing that the tool I have can pull the magic!

Thumbs up for you all developers out there!

Merci beaucoup!

John

John Ojo MD, FMCPH

Accra, Ghana.

···

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:54 AM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Hi John,

you must assign to the data set, not the data elements. The attribute category combos are linked to data sets.

Nice work John.

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM, John Ojo <jnojo@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Lars & Jason,

It Works!
I have attached a small screenshot as a proof that the attributes
categories concept works so excellently. Wow. You guys are fantastic!
Thank you so much for giving us this wonderful tool. Now I can concentrate
on my client's needs knowing that the tool I have can pull the magic!
Thumbs up for you all developers out there!

Merci beaucoup!
John

*John Ojo MD, FMCPH*
Accra, Ghana.
Email: jnojo@yahoo.com <jno@corridor-sida.org>
<http://www.corridor-sida.org/&gt;

Hello team,
I am working on GIS module of DHIS 2 and I would like to do the following
1) show value on map in DHIS 2. As an example: District 1 : 20% or District 1: 80.
2) compute distance between 2 districts.

I would appreciate some help if anyone worked on it already.
Thank you!
Germine.

Hi Germine,

1. Open one of the thematic layers (icon 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the toolbar) and select your data

2. This is not possible at the moment, but you can click the “M” button in the top right corner of the map to get an estimate.

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Seide, Germine GSeide@futuresgroup.com wrote:

Hello team,

1. show value on map in DHIS 2. As an example: District 1 : 20% or District 1: 80.

2. compute distance between 2 districts.

Thank you!

Germine.

Hello,
Thank you for such a quick answer but in my GIS representation, the value appears only in Thematic layer legend not on the map.

Germine

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Seide, Germine
GSeide@futuresgroup.com wrote:

Hello team,

1. show value on map in DHIS 2. As an example: District 1 : 20% or District 1: 80.

Thank you!

Germine.

You can put labels on the map (name and value) by clicking the same button on the toolbar, then select labels.

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Seide, Germine GSeide@futuresgroup.com wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for such a quick answer but in my GIS representation, the value appears only in Thematic layer legend not on the map.

Germine

Le 20 févr. 2014 à 06:32, Jan Henrik Øverland janhenrik.overland@gmail.com a écrit :

Hi Germine,

1. Open one of the thematic layers (icon 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the toolbar) and select your data
  1. This is not possible at the moment, but you can click the “M” button in the top right corner of the map to get an estimate.

Hello team,

Thank you!

Germine.

It works,
Thank you Jan!
Germine

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Seide, Germine

Hello,

Germine

Le 20 févr. 2014 à 06:32, Jan Henrik Øverland janhenrik.overland@gmail.com a écrit :

Hi Germine,

1. This is not possible at the moment, but you can click the “M” button in the top right corner of the map to get an estimate.

Hello team,

Thank you!

Germine.

A post was split to a new topic: CHIS Usecase Implementation