Help with DHIS2 FHIR Adapter

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for help in installing or setting up the DHIS2 FHIR Adapter (GitHub - dhis2/dhis2-fhir-adapter: ⛔ [DEPRECATED] DHIS 2 FHIR adapter, please see the active fork at https://github.com/ITINordic/dhis2-fhir-adapter). It seems that I am always not able to get it up and running. Can you walk me through the setup? I get lost in the instructions on the readme of the repository. My co-worker already asked for help here (Help/Walkthrough with DHIS2 FHIR Adapter setup) but was not able to get any more help. Hoping this one gets attention.

Thank you,
Art

3 Likes

Dear Art,

We can support you to set up the adapter. We are actively using it in our projects and are contributing to its development. You can reach out on private message and we can pick it up from there.

Regards,

Ranga

4 Likes

Dear Ranga,

We have interacted on July on the HAPI-FHIR group, thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, we were not able to implement your own version of the adapter, due to lack of documentation back then; the provided slides did not suffice. Although, if there is documentation now, that would be great, and I would love to revisit your repository and retry the implementation. Thank you!

Regards,
Bryan

1 Like

Hi Bryan,

The documentation (its absence) is the same and we do not intend either to implement our own version like yourselves. Nothing has changed since I recall I shared a video on how to set it up.

We have been running on the core (dhis2) version of the adapter, and merge all of our improvements for the benefit of all in the community. However, as you noted - we are currently ahead on our branch - which has some few generic improvements that have not yet been merged with the core pending some reorganisation around the core development of the adapter. The net effect is that we are not working on any particular customisation of the adapter for obvious reasons and our current improvements will be submitted to the core shortly.

Perhaps you could clarify on where exactly you are getting stuck so we can understand the support you need?

Regards,

Ranga

2 Likes

Hi,

the Wiki acts as the repository for the documentation of the adapter. For the current version 1.1, it contains about 300 A4 sized pages. Unfortunately, some links to external files do not work any longer (have been removed in September). If some of these files are required, I can provide them.

A guide for a quick setup and how to use the FHIR REST services can be found in this YouTube Video (added on 19th of August).

Regards,
Volker

1 Like

I have created another YouTube Video that contains the tutorial for the simple installation of DHIS2 FHIR Adapter. It follows the steps that are described by the README file that is located in the DHIS2 FHIR Adapter repository on GitHub. It ends in a verification of the installation. This simple installation has also been shown during the second part of my presentation on DHIS2 Annual Conference 2019.

2 Likes

Hi Ranga,

Sorry for the late repy. Basically, I am stuck on the part where I need to run the adapter, but it can’t find the DHIS2_HOME. I have followed the instructions on the github faithfully, but kept running to this error. Thank you for all the patience and help.

Best,
Bryan

1 Like

Hi Volker,

Thank you so much for these. Will try to use these for my installation.

Best,
Art Bryan

1 Like

If you run the adapter in the same Tomcat instance like DHIS2 web application, then environment variable DHIS2_HOME must have been set already (see sections 9.4.2 and 9.4.9 of Home - DHIS2 Documentation).

If you would like to run the adapter in a different Tomcat instance or standalone, then DHIS2_HOME environment must be set. For running it in a different Tomcat instance it must be set in the same way like for DHIS2 (see documentation referenced above), for running it standalone it must be set before starting the adapter (e.g. export DHIS2_HOME=/home/dhis/config).

Regards,
Volker

1 Like

Hello, please how can i install DHIS2-Adapter-fhir on windows?

Hi,

unfortunately there is no additional documentation available on how to install the adapter on Windows. The procedure equals the installation procedure on UNIX environment.

If you just would like to play with the DHIS2 FHIR Adapter, you can also run Docker containers. The corresponding files are available on this GitHub repository: GitHub - volsch/dhis2-fhir-adapter-demo-docker: DHIS2 FHIR Adapter Demo on Docker. You just need to check-out the files from GitHub and run the command “docker-compose up” (you must have Docker https://www.docker.com/ installed).

Best regards,
Volker

1 Like

Thank you for your help!!
when installaling DHIS2-FHIR-Adapter on windows , i get this warning !!

Adapter configuration file does not exist or cannot be read: C:\home\dhis\config\services\fhir-adapter\application.yml

Please follow the installation instruction that can be found at Configuration.

The configuration file named application.yml must be created in directory %DHIS2_HOME%/services/fhir-adapter, which is in your case C:\home\dhis\config\services\fhir-adapter. So the file C:\home\dhis\config\services\fhir-adapter\application.yml must be created that contains the content that is described in the above mentioned installation instruction.

1 Like

Good morning Mr Volker Schmidt, thank you for your help !
my file application.yml is now readable !!

1 Like

I am a medicine student and Medical informatics, my project is to repport patient data from OpenEMR to DHIS2 , it is for this reason i try to use HAPI FHIR and DHIS2 FHIR Adapter to build interoperability between OpenEMR and DHIS2.
your suggestions are the welcome!!!

1 Like

Hello, i have difficulties in my implementation of patient data exchanging from OpenEMR to DHIS2 by using DHIS2 FHIR Adapter ! can you help me with a guide ?

@morten , could you please assist @ousseni.ouedraogo99 here? :slight_smile:

Hi,

Sounds like an interesting project.

The fhir adapter has not been officially maintained for some 2 years now.

However, we have a fork for our projects at https://github.com/ITINordic/dhis2-fhir-adapter. You can also contact the developer https://github.com/cchigoriwa who can also assist with installation.

Good luck,

Ranga

2 Likes

Hello, @Gintare and @Ranga , thank you !