Creating a Dashboard Widget Using App Platform

Hello,

Is it possible to create dashboard widgets using the App Platform?

Thanks.

Gift.

1 Like

Hey @nnkogift
Thank you for your question! May I ask you what exactly do you mean by a dashboard widget? Is it like an app that makes changes to a dashboard but you want it to appear alongside the dashboard control buttons, or is it an item in a dashboard related to an app? Please explain further! (:

Hey @Gassim

A dashboard widget is an app available from the search box on the dashboard, can be added as an item on any dashboard. It is one of the app types listed here as the DASHBOARD_WIDGET

1 Like

Thanks! Really good question. I’m still learning but hope I’ll be able to help you with this too :smiley: I imagine you mean something like the scorecard app presented in (Analytic Tools Day 9 Part 4 Dashboards - YouTube - video URL at the time of mentioning the app)?

I see that the link you shared is actually deprecated and mentions the “d2-manifest” which is where supposedly you’d change the “appType,” but it seems that this will be taken care of by the App Platform. I’d recommend you read this blog post by @varl: https://developers.dhis2.org/blog/library-deprecations/

1 Like

Yes! I meant an app just like the Scorecard widget. I went through the App Platform documentation and saw that there are only two types of application supported, lib and app(here). There isn’t any reference to dashboard widgets. Does this mean they are no longer supported?

Yes, you are right! I think the “app” will inherintly allow you to create the dashboard plugin without a need to create two separate projects, so I think @austin explains this when he mentions the Native Plugin Builds in this video (URL at the time of mentioning the Native Plugin Builds) Webinar on Web and Android App Development: Web Platform Updates & Roadmap - YouTube

1 Like

Thank you for the link to the video. It has helped me understand. I do think Native Plugin Builds has not been implemented yet on the App Platform. Right?

1 Like

Yeah, I tried to search for info in the roadmap Log in with Atlassian account but I’m not sure I can find more info about Native Plugin Builds, so maybe @austin can update us. Thank you!

1 Like

@nnkogift this isn’t fully supported by the platform yet, but it will be soon!

1 Like

Thanks @austin for the info. Thanks @Gassim for the help :pray:

1 Like