23 Sept - 14:00 - Immunization Q&A

In this discussion thread, feel free to ask questions related to the Immunization session of the 2020 DHIS2 Digital Annual Conference. You can post your questions ahead of, during, or after the session. The panellists will check this thread for questions, and select some for responding to in the session, or follow up after the session has ended. Feel free to respond to other questions or add to them if you have something to follow up with.

Welcome all, to the Immunization session for the 2020 DHIS2 Annual Conference! Please introduce yourself. How are you working with DHIS2 and what country are you from?

Here are some useful links for DHIS2 immunization and the DHIS2 WHO packages.

https://www.dhis2.org/who-package-downloads

1 Like

Hi, I am Kimberly Frost, University of Oslo DHIS2 Clinical Advisor. Working in Norway. I have been working closely with the WHO Immunization Digital Packages.

1 Like

In light of COVID what do you see as the greatest challenge on Immunization registries, and supportive supervision?

1 Like

I am Anne Thorseng, working at the University of Oslo. In terms of immunisation I work closely with the HISP groups on supporting them on our contract for country support for GAVI.

1 Like

Carine Gachen introduced the very important topic of how we identify and reach the zero dose children. How do you think your efforts on digitalisation of immunisation work can support this?

1 Like

Hello!

Just wanted to say that I am currently working with a couple of countries within the PAHO region which are interested in implementing the immunization programme and I can’t wait to get started with that process!

Any tips from Rwanda/GAVI about this process, and about phasing out existing systems (paper or software) are welcome. As well as any challenges which were not foreseen at the start of the process.

Thank you Anne! yes indeed very important topic in light of reaching equity. How DHIS2 can be used to support the identification of the missed children, and or areas where are the highest number of missed children. With immunisation tracker/Electronic Immunisation Registry, we have solution to track children who missed their following vacniation. Going beyond tracking defaulter children, which solutions/strategy can we develop to identify what we are calling 0-dose children, children who never received vaccination in the routine immunisation system. Basically, it is synonyms of children who have never being reached by immunisation program, probably by primary health care? use of triangulation of data, bottleneck analysis app, geospatial data … ??

We have been working with UNICEF, GAVI and Rwanda on linking the Civil Registry and Vital Statistics (CRVS) to the immunization program. This gives the opportunity to “catch” children at different entry points in the system, one being at birth registration.

Grant … question to kenya … we have a (very similar) project in Zambia in which we have tried to improve DHIS2 data use by supervisors in one district … we are using the GAVI RED supervision tools and find them very data-heavy and user-unfriendly … and as a result have revised them fundamentally Please get in touch with me to share experiences …+255673150252 or arthurheywood@gmail.com

Hello
question for Kenya. I want to know if you use a application that you developped and implemented in Dhis2 for supervision.
I want to have more informations about it
Thanks

Carine … in zambia GAVI project we are using the RED planning tool but find it very cumbersome and non-user friendly in its approach (as well as not being in DHIS2) … particularly in the “root cause analysis” trying to fine the cause of the problem … has anyone come up with a better way to identify un/der immunised children

Thanks Arthur, I imagine you are referring to the WHO tool for RED planning?

exactly … also used by GAVI in all their HSS districts in Zambia

Yes, I believe large number of countries, especially in WHO AFRO region are using that tool. If there is a way to make the data component easier/more handy to ease decision making, it will be so great for the so many countries using this WHO strategy.

We are trying … reduced from almost 1,000 (called GAVI-RED) data elements down to 50-ish … to be honest, the processs for identifying un/der immunised children was so cumbersome we left it out … focused on hard-to-reach communities instead

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for reaching out and it will be interesting to learn from Zambia experience with the modified GAVI RED tools.
I will definitely reach out!

1 Like

Hello Souleymaneya,

The application used for support supervision is the DHIS2 event capture. The same platform is used to collect Adverse Events Following Immunization.

I am happy to provide more information.
My email address is eddah.rose@gmail.com
Whatsapp number: +254 733 129 372

1 Like

Well received Rose with thanks.

Hi all

The recording of the session is available here on our YouTube channel.