2.0.5 release branch / beta 1 released

Hi,

2.0.5 beta 1 is released, the war file can be downloaded from here:

http://dhis2.com/download/dhis2-2.0.5-beta1.war

We have created a release branch for 2.0.5 here:

lp:~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/2.0.5

Bug fixes should be committed to this branch. There will be a test period where the Indian team, Vietnamese team and yours truly will contribute. Volunteers are welcome to join.

regards Lars

I have put up a running instance for testing on

https://dhis.uio.no/test/

I haven’t automated deployment of the branch, but continuous builds of the branch should be available at

http://dhis.uio.no/ci/job/dhis-web-2.0.5/

Notice that all dhis.uio.no instances are now available over https as well as http (modestly truing to promote the awareness of ssl for security). Would be good to know if people with slower connections and higher latency notices any performance differences between the two.

Jo

···

Den 20. aug. 2010 kl. 13.38 skrev Lars Helge Øverland:

Hi,

2.0.5 beta 1 is released, the war file can be downloaded from here:

http://dhis2.com/download/dhis2-2.0.5-beta1.war

We have created a release branch for 2.0.5 here:

lp:~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/2.0.5

Bug fixes should be committed to this branch. There will be a test period where the Indian team, Vietnamese team and yours truly will contribute. Volunteers are welcome to join.

Folks –

I have moved my installation to a new machine -- both use XP, same directory structure.  Reinstalled all stack software (Tomcat, MySQL, Eclipse, Maven), reloaded DB from backup, recreated environment variables.  Recreated DB user and password from Hibernate properties file.  Can see data in the DB.  DHIS 2.0.4 starts, can log in, passes integrity checks, can build resource files.  However, no organizational structure appears, no customizations (e.g. flag).  Any suggestions for diagnosis, repair?

Thanks, Roger

Folks --

I have moved my installation to a new machine \-\- both use XP,

same directory structure. Reinstalled all stack software (Tomcat, MySQL,
Eclipse, Maven), reloaded DB from backup, recreated environment variables.
Recreated DB user and password from Hibernate properties file. Can see data
in the DB. DHIS 2.0.4 starts, can log in, passes integrity checks, can
build resource files. However, no organizational structure appears, no
customizations (e.g. flag). Any suggestions for diagnosis, repair?

Hi Roger,

This does sound very much as though the database is not found. What do
you get for database type and database name under "About DHIS 2"?
http://dhis.uio.no/demo/dhis-web-commons-about/about.action

Can you share your Tomcat log?

Knut

···

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

Thanks, Roger

More help : ListHelp - Launchpad Help

--
Cheers,
Knut Staring

Right on, was using H2. Apparently I had neglected to reboot after setting environment variables. Joy now unbounded. Thanks.

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:21 PM
To: Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR)
Cc: DHIS 2 developers; dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] No joy after moving

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov> wrote:

Folks --

I have moved my installation to a new machine \-\- both use XP,

same directory structure. Reinstalled all stack software (Tomcat, MySQL,
Eclipse, Maven), reloaded DB from backup, recreated environment variables.
Recreated DB user and password from Hibernate properties file. Can see data
in the DB. DHIS 2.0.4 starts, can log in, passes integrity checks, can
build resource files. However, no organizational structure appears, no
customizations (e.g. flag). Any suggestions for diagnosis, repair?

Hi Roger,

This does sound very much as though the database is not found. What do
you get for database type and database name under "About DHIS 2"?
http://dhis.uio.no/demo/dhis-web-commons-about/about.action

Can you share your Tomcat log?

Knut

Thanks, Roger

More help : ListHelp - Launchpad Help

--
Cheers,
Knut Staring

I have seens this happens quite frequently and the system should display a warning when running in-memory, this is often not intentional…

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/memory-db-notification

Lars

···

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Right on, was using H2. Apparently I had neglected to reboot after setting environment variables. Joy now unbounded. Thanks.

Folks –

I am unable to generate the Org Unit Structure and Org Unit Group Set Structure Normalized resource tables.  My org unit stuff passes data integrity tests.  The errors are

Failed to Add Objects at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstratBatchHandler.addObject (line 195) in org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.defaultresourcetablesservice.generateorganizationunitstructures (line 192) and                                                                                    Failed to flush batch handler at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstratBatchHandler.addObject (line 290) in org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.defaultresourcetablesservice.generategroupsetstructures (line 241)

I suspect the issue may have to do with Tomcat 6.0 (I had previously been using 5.5) memory.  The two fixes that I knew about for that release (env var JAVAOPTS = -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m and web.xml jsp servlet init-param enablePooling=false) slowed things waaaaaaaaaaaaay down (substantially all pages never finished loading).  DHIS2 is now the only web app running.

Suggestions to diagnose or fix?

While I am here, I read Ola's chapter on reporting, which was very useful.  It made clear what I was just coming to realize, that disaggregation groups are not rolled up to the next level.  This means that indicators based on disaggregation groups (percent of patients whose CD4 count was less than 350 at the first visit) don't roll up, we are basically left with making each cell of disaggregated data a data element of its own.  I suppose I can work around it, but it's a big disappointment.  Am I understanding this right?  Is it on the workplan?

Thanks all, Roger

Folks –

I am unable to generate the Org Unit Structure and Org Unit Group Set Structure Normalized resource tables.  My org unit stuff passes data integrity tests.  The errors are
                    Failed to Add Objects at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstratBatchHandler.addObject (line 195) in org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.defaultresourcetablesservice.generateorganizationunitstructures (line 192) and                                                                                    Failed to flush batch handler at org.amplecode.quick.batchhandler.AbstratBatchHandler.addObject (line 290) in org.hisp.dhis.resourcetable.defaultresourcetablesservice.generategroupsetstructures (line 241)
        I suspect the issue may have to do with Tomcat 6.0 (I had previously been using 5.5) memory.  The two fixes that I knew about for that release (env var JAVAOPTS = -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m and web.xml jsp servlet init-param enablePooling=false) slowed things waaaaaaaaaaaaay down (substantially all pages never finished loading).  DHIS2 is now the only web app running.
        Suggestions to diagnose or fix?

Hi, this works in postgresql but apparently not in mysql. Will have a look at this.

While I am here, I read Ola's chapter on reporting, which was very useful.  It made clear what I was just coming to realize, that disaggregation groups are not rolled up to the next level.  This means that indicators based on disaggregation groups (percent of patients whose CD4 count was less than 350 at the first visit) don't roll up, we are basically left with making each cell of disaggregated data a data element of its own.  I suppose I can work around it, but it's a big disappointment.  Am I understanding this right?  Is it on the workplan?

We do have support for this through the “Data element dimension” report table (Report → Report table). Here you select a category combination (or disaggregation group in your terminology) and its data elements. The report table will automatically provide all disaggregated values, all sub-totals and the total for each dimensional data element.

Lars

···

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Thanks all, Roger

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi Roger,

I am not 100% sure I understand what functionality you are asking for, but let me give you an example of what is possible and maybe that will help:

I have a data element called “Malaria new cases” and a categorycombo called ‘MorbidityAge+Gender’, two categories MorbidityAge(<5y,>5y) and Gender (Male, Female), with the possible catoptioncombos being: <5y Male,<5y Female, >5y Male,>5 Female. These data values are collected monthly.

I also have a data element called “Population <5y” with the default (none) catcombo collected yearly.

Then I have an indicator called ‘Malaria incidence rate <5y’ with a numerator expression like:

(“Malaria new cases”+“<5y Male”) + (“Malaria new cases”+“<5 Female”)

and a denominator expression: “Population <5y”

The indicator is of type percentage and annualised (makes the factor 1200 for monthly indicator values).

In any of the report tools (report table, chart, map, datamart) I can ask for the indicator value of “Malaria incidence rate <5y” for any orgunit at any level from individual health facilities to the country level aggregate value.

If this is what you mean by rolling up to the next level then this is supported.

Maybe you could give a more detailed example of what you want?

What annoys be a bit and which will be improved for 2.0.6 is that you cannot use subtotals, like Malaria new cases <5y directly in the indicator expressions, but in stead have to do it piece by piece as in my example above. Thsi becomes very tedious if you have many catoptioncombos that needs to be added together. As I said, the 2.0.6 will support the use of subtotals and totals in such expressions:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/subtotals-in-expressions

···

On 26 August 2010 00:28, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Folks –

Thanks all, Roger

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP
Department of Informatics
University of Oslo

Mobile: +47 48069736
Home address: Vetlandsvn. 95B, 0685 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps link

Hi again Roger,

I think I have found the source of this lack of roll-up/aggregation problem. I looked at your database and found that for the data element “Malaria cases” you had specified Aggregation Levels Region and Country.

Aggregation levels is a complicated feature explained in the user manual, section 9.2.1.5, but briefly your settings here mean that when asking the system for an aggregated values for Regions it will not look for any values below the Region level, and for Country it will not look below the country level. That is why your roll up does not work. It seems you have misunderstood the use of Aggregation levels.

What you need to do is to edit the data element and remove the selected aggregation levels sio that you leave that selection box blank. We try to hide this feature, and these levels only show when you tick the Aggregation level box. Then the system will follow the default behaviour for aggregation which is to include all data at all levels when aggregating up the org hierarchy, in your case it will then find the malaria case values you have registered on the district level and sum up these to regional totals.

The aggregation levels setting in data elements do not have anything to do with which levels that can produce aggregate data, that you specify in the various report tools (like report tables), but in stead specifies where to look for data when aggregating up the org hierarchy.

This section in the UI definitely needs a help icon and we could probably try to find better names and more explanatory text for this feature. Sorry for the confusion.

···

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
University of Oslo

On 26 August 2010 11:47, Ola Hodne Titlestad olatitle@gmail.com wrote:

On 26 August 2010 00:28, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov wrote:

Folks –

Thanks all, Roger

Hi Roger,

I am not 100% sure I understand what functionality you are asking for, but let me give you an example of what is possible and maybe that will help:

I have a data element called “Malaria new cases” and a categorycombo called ‘MorbidityAge+Gender’, two categories MorbidityAge(<5y,>5y) and Gender (Male, Female), with the possible catoptioncombos being: <5y Male,<5y Female, >5y Male,>5 Female. These data values are collected monthly.

I also have a data element called “Population <5y” with the default (none) catcombo collected yearly.

Then I have an indicator called ‘Malaria incidence rate <5y’ with a numerator expression like:

The indicator is of type percentage and annualised (makes the factor 1200 for monthly indicator values).

In any of the report tools (report table, chart, map, datamart) I can ask for the indicator value of “Malaria incidence rate <5y” for any orgunit at any level from individual health facilities to the country level aggregate value.

If this is what you mean by rolling up to the next level then this is supported.

What annoys be a bit and which will be improved for 2.0.6 is that you cannot use subtotals, like Malaria new cases <5y directly in the indicator expressions, but in stead have to do it piece by piece as in my example above. Thsi becomes very tedious if you have many catoptioncombos that needs to be added together. As I said, the 2.0.6 will support the use of subtotals and totals in such expressions:

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP
University of Oslo

Thanks for your responses. You are right, I overstated. Indicators can roll up all the way, it is just data element categories that don’t roll up, they are available only in reports.

I still need to read about import/export. My original idea for deployment was to have several transaction servers which facilities and districts would use to enter data and perhaps run facility- or district-level reports, and to export data from those servers into a data warehouse server which would have all facility data but no data entry, only reports, which regional and national level people would use. But if category-level data does not make it across an export/import, then I need to change my categories to elements.

Re aggregation levels, you are right, I didn’t understand them. In later versions, I have turned them off. At that time, I used the district level both for data entry (for programs run out of the district office) and for aggregation of data from the facility level. Since then, I have created a new org unit type at the facility level for the district office and do all programmatic data entry for the district using the district office facility-level org unit, leaving the district level only for aggregation. This is a reason why the failure to aggregate categories is a problem for me, because population data exists only at the district level and applies to the aggregate of all facilities in the district. To calculate indicators which are undefined below the district level, it seems like I have to turn my programmatic data element categories into data elements to get them to aggregate to the district level. Or am I still not understanding?

I am glad to see that improvements in the specification of categories are on tap.

···

Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:47 AM

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Problems building resource tables

Folks –

Thanks all, Roger

Hi Roger,

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP

University of Oslo

Hi Roger,

Sorry, I still can’t fully understand your use case and what you see as missing.

You can import/export data values that have categoryoptioncombos, in fact all data values we import/export have these, wither the default or something user defined (age/sex etc.).

What makes you think this does not work, do you have an example where this failed to happen?

If your national data warehouse will have data aggregated by facility, just like in the district installations, then the data export will transfer all the details of the data (including categoryoptioncombos) to the national server.

When you write “it is just data element categories that don’t roll up, they are available only in reports”, what do you mean?
Both in the datavalue and aggregateddatavalue table the values have a categpryoptioncombo property indicating the disaggregation, and therefore follow the data values also when aggregated up the org hierarchy. And if you mean to roll up data on categories, such as collapsing the gender dimension to only query values by age (if the catcombo is age+gender), that is possible using the dimensional report tables as lars mentioned, when exporting data to excel pivot tables, and in indicator expressions as shown in my previous email.

Please clarify and I will get back to you.

Ola

···

2010/8/26 Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) rdf4@cdc.gov

Thanks for your responses. You are right, I overstated. Indicators can roll up all the way, it is just data element categories that don’t roll up, they are available only in reports.

I still need to read about import/export. My original idea for deployment was to have several transaction servers which facilities and districts would use to enter data and perhaps run facility- or district-level reports, and to export data from those servers into a data warehouse server which would have all facility data but no data entry, only reports, which regional and national level people would use. But if category-level data does not make it across an export/import, then I need to change my categories to elements.

Re aggregation levels, you are right, I didn’t understand them. In later versions, I have turned them off. At that time, I used the district level both for data entry (for programs run out of the district office) and for aggregation of data from the facility level. Since then, I have created a new org unit type at the facility level for the district office and do all programmatic data entry for the district using the district office facility-level org unit, leaving the district level only for aggregation. This is a reason why the failure to aggregate categories is a problem for me, because population data exists only at the district level and applies to the aggregate of all facilities in the district. To calculate indicators which are undefined below the district level, it seems like I have to turn my programmatic data element categories into data elements to get them to aggregate to the district level. Or am I still not understanding?

I am glad to see that improvements in the specification of categories are on tap.

Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:47 AM

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Problems building resource tables

Folks –

Thanks all, Roger

Hi Roger,

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)

HISP

University of Oslo

List –

We have a form that has outpatient visits disaggregated by sex, age (11 categories including 0-1 and 1-5), new/returning patient, and insurance yes/no. Can I display calculated data elements for the totals? Can I validate keyed totals against calculated data elements?

At the bottom of that form is a small table with total malaria cases disaggregated by age under and over 5.

We have a second form that has several aspects of malaria treatment (means of diagnosis, adverse reactions, adverse reactions with hospitalization). These are disaggregated into age under 5, pregnant, and all others, which is a degenerate way of disaggregating by age under and over 5 and pregnancy status with under 5 pregnant=0.

The second form is arranged for doing rates against all malaria cases and all outpatient cases, the totals are copied in from the first form. Can I do total calculations on the first dataset and display them on the second dataset?

Thanks, Roger

PS – Turns out the team lead or deputy spent 6 years in Norway, hope y’all get to meet him in Accra.

Hi Roger, any chance you could share these form layouts with us? The
quick answer is that your totals can be retrieved using the dimension
report tables and you can set up standard reports on top of that for
your totals form. If you decide to key in the totals directly in
addition to the breakdowns you need to use separate data elements for
that. Then you can use validation rules to compare the two sets. More
later. Ola

···

2010/9/2, Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) <rdf4@cdc.gov>:

List --
    We have a form that has outpatient visits disaggregated by sex, age (11
categories including 0-1 and 1-5), new/returning patient, and insurance
yes/no. Can I display calculated data elements for the totals? Can I
validate keyed totals against calculated data elements?
    At the bottom of that form is a small table with total malaria cases
disaggregated by age under and over 5.
    We have a second form that has several aspects of malaria treatment
(means of diagnosis, adverse reactions, adverse reactions with
hospitalization). These are disaggregated into age under 5, pregnant, and
all others, which is a degenerate way of disaggregating by age under and
over 5 and pregnancy status with under 5 pregnant=0.
    The second form is arranged for doing rates against all malaria cases
and all outpatient cases, the totals are copied in from the first form. Can
I do total calculations on the first dataset and display them on the second
dataset?
Thanks, Roger

PS -- Turns out the team lead or deputy spent 6 years in Norway, hope y'all
get to meet him in Accra.

--
Sendt fra min mobile enhet

----------------------------------
Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
University of Oslo

Home address: Vetlandsvn. 95B, 0685 Oslo, Norway. Googlemaps
link<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Vetlandsvn.+95B,+0685+Oslo,+Norway&gt;