What's mean of attribute option combos?

hi,all

What’s mean of attribute option combos? how to use?

I just found it using in data collecting, and assign to dataset, which means we can adding extra attribute to all of dataset’s DE after DE has been defined?

···

Thanks.

此致

林晓东

莫愁前路无知己,天下谁人不识君。

Yes, with attribute option combos you can add any number of additional, independent, user-defined dimensions to a data set. They are made in the same way as category option combos: You define one or more categories that have options, and you combine these categories into a category combo.

Here are some comparisons between category option combos and attribute option combos:

Category option combo:

• Used for data element disaggregations

• Category combo is assigned to a data element

• All combo values can be entered in a single data set form instance

• Combos are selected by entering data into different fields

Attribute option combos:

• Used for extra dimensions for an entire data set

• Category combo is assigned to a data set

• Only one combination can be entered on a single data set form instance

• Category options are chosen by dropdown menu(s) for the entire form

Examples of attribute option combos can be found at https://play.dhis2.org/demo in the following data sets:

ART monthly summary - Implementing Partner and Projects (2 options in the option combo)

Emergency Response - Target vs Result (1 option in the option combo)

EPI Stock - Project (1 option in the option combo)

Note that you need multiple options in the option combo only for truly independent dimensions. If for example you want project number and partner, but the project number always uniquely determines the partner, you can use a single category of project number in the category combo, and then use category option groups for the partner associated with each project number. You can even simulate a multi-level dimension by using different category option group sets. For example, PEPFAR uses a single category of project number that uniquely determines both a partner and an agency. Partners are represented by category option groups in the group set “Partner”, and Agencies are represented by category option groups in the group set “Agency”.

We know that the user documentation does not really explain attribute option combos, and we will address this. Meanwhile you may find interesting a slide deck I presented at the most recent Experts Academy in Oslo in August: https://goo.gl/tzmq44

Let me (and the Dhis2-users list) know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Jim Grace

···

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:23 PM, 林晓东 lin_xd@126.com wrote:

hi,all

What’s mean of attribute option combos? how to use?

I just found it using in data collecting, and assign to dataset, which means we can adding extra attribute to all of dataset’s DE after DE has been defined?

Thanks.

此致

林晓东

莫愁前路无知己,天下谁人不识君。

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.

http://www.dhis2.org

3 Likes

Thanks.
is possible for :
value_de_option1_catcomb+value_de_option2_catcomb> value_de_catcomb?
or , the option1 and option2 has no contains relation : option1 +option2=category
?
for exeample:

Health technicians (persons) : 100
Among them:
number of medical practitioners: 60
Among them:
number of licensed physicians working in the inpatient department: 30,
Number of persons registered as general practice:20,
number of people who have obtained the general practitioner training certificate: 40,
number of Practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine: 10,
number of registered nurse: 40

thanks

Good question. There is not just one answer, but you will have to pick the approach that is best for you. Or the least bad. It depends on how the data will be entered and how it will be reported. I would try to avoid double counting. Here are some ideas:

1-> Have a category option for each type of person, so that everyone is counted in only one place. I don’t know if this is practical or possible for your example, because it would mean an option for every set of categories that could go together. It would be something like:

Category: Technician type
Category options for Technician type:

• No extra training
  • Inpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate and traditional Chinese medicine
  • Inpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate without traditional Chinese medicine
  • Outpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate and traditional Chinese medicine
  • Outpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate without traditional Chinese medicine
  • Inpatient registered nurses with traditional Chinese medicine
  • Outpatient registered nurses with traditional Chinese medicine

The advantage is that everyone is counted only once. The disadvantage is that you would have to know ahead of time what all the valid combinations are.

If you do this, you could create some category option groups for reporting. For example:
Category option group: General practitioner
Category options for this group:

• Inpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate and traditional Chinese medicine
  • Inpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate without traditional Chinese medicine

Category option group: Traditional Chinese medicine
Category options for this group:

• Outpatient licensed physicians with general practitioner certificate and traditional Chinese medicine
  • Inpatient registered nurses with traditional Chinese medicine

(other category option groups…)

2-> You could create multiple categories. For example:

Category: Area of work
Category options for area of work:

• Inpatient
  • Outpatient
  • Other

Category: Licensing
Category options for licensing:

• Registered nurse
  • Licensed physician
  • Licensed physician with general practitioner training certificate
  • Unlicensed

Category: Practitioner type
Category options for Practitioner type

• Practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine
  • Not practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine

Category Combo: Technician type
Categories for combo Technician type:

• Area of work
  • Licensing
  • Practitioner type

If you have category combo with more than two categories, I don’t think this will work with standard data entry forms. You may have to create your own custom form.

3-> Create a different data element for each type of worker you want to count, for example:
Data Elements:

• Health technicians (persons)
  • number of medical practitioners
  • number of licensed physicians working in the inpatient department
  • Number of persons registered as general practice

The person entering the data will have to supply all the different numbers. Because they are different data elements they will not be double-counted.

I do not have a lot of experience modelling different systems. Perhaps someone with more experience than I could add their suggestions.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Mr. Jim Grace

It help me much.

1 Like