Upcoming Immunization webinar on micro-planning solutions and innovations, Friday 17 December, 14:00 (GMT+1)

Sure! Lets chat!

Hi Oualid
What if the mobile users are less in any country. For example in a family of 6, only one mobile phone is available. How rest of the data can be used to conclude on any decision.

The challenges that @Arthur is raising are very important and consistent with many countries across Africa. DHIS2 has incredible potential, if the immunization data are accessible in ‘real time’ (e.g. monthly) at district levels. Although there is intent to use, district levels often face constraints, due to e-infrastructure issues or lack of resourcing for data minutes.

We just completed some immunization data learning HCD with facility health staff and districts/zones/sub-counties and regions/provinces/counties in Mozambique, DRC and Kenya. DHIS2 needs came up frequently in the inputs and feedback.

See here: Resources

This summary also has useful insights for improving DHIS2 access and use (see notably Priority Area #4). You can search for “DHIS” to see where it is mentioned: https://www.sonderdesign.org/vxdel/VxData_FinalReport_En_FINAL.pdf

@oualid.fouad
Interesting issue you are talking about
I am working in a district in Zambia … one of the immunisation issues is internal annual migration when floods come and people move for fishing or rice farming … all we have is subjective opinions, but NO facts

Would it be possible to use this telephone monitoring to show ACTUAL migration of people within the district

Thank you for the presentation. I was wondering how often the building footprint/settlement and population maps are updated; and how much and how often are validation/ground truthing are performed? Thanks.

Hi Lokesh, most of the “bottom-up” modelled estimates produced as part of the GRID3 work are age-structured are linked on the GRID3 website (https://data.grid3.org/), or available to visualise here: https://apps.worldpop.org/woprVision/. The “bottom-up” estimates are available for a limited number of countries, otherwise WorldPop has age-structured gridded population estimates for all countries globally, and these are available here: WorldPop :: Age and sex structures

1 Like

We have some experience from adapting GIS and DHIS2 in urban contexts in Haiti. It has been a technically supported process, to help with the local extrapolation and use of the data with microplanning and the municipalities. You can find the documentation here:

Improving Urban Immunization Service Delivery: Guidance, Practice, and Sustainable Solutions - JSI (Note the Haiti section in the drop-down menu)

Hi Radina, to date there is no funding to update these through satellite images - because we need those updated to do a large scale update. But when we add them to maps we work with the government to make sure users give feedback on accuracy and changes. So they can be updated through use!

Hi all
Thanks for interesting presentations
Talking from a (sub)district data use microplanning perspective we need to continue this discussion to look at the CORE microplanning guidelines for routine immunisation … the RED guidelines, which are a great idea, but in MY opinion are not fit for purpose

DHIS2 needs to engage with micro-planners in WHO, UNICEF, GAVI and others to discuss how we plan. monitor and supervise routine EPI within DHIS2 and make these guidelines functional

I would be VERY glad if someone can prove me wrong by showing how these guidelines have been used at district level, but my experience has NOT been good

Looking forward to morte discussions about the root problem of microplanning, which is the RED guidelines
Regards
Arthhur

1 Like

Hi Bram, yes to all of those questions. In 2.38 we will be able to import the population data into DHIS2 via google earth engine and use it for indicator denominators.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks @Scott - exciting stuff!

Great visuals and quite informative. What is the experience in mapping in urban settings especially high-rise buildings? Especially where buildings have no names, houses no numbers or any codes?

Dear all, the recording of the webinar is available on the DHIS2 YouTube channel.

2 Likes

@Rocco_Panciera
This lack of follow up is the reason why most (micro)planning fails … it is done to get money and then never looked at again
We need to institutionalise monitoring of (micro) plans … and the best way to do this is through using DHIS2 … this is not by making more apps, but persuading people to use the ones we have already … and this is by having good data use guidelines
**We do NOT have good data use guidelines in any country I know of (somebody please prove me wrong) … and this should be a major role of HISP in the future
Regards
Arthur

1 Like

Hi Lokesh,

yes, this is an issue, particularly in developing country or LMIC contexts where both phone and SIM card sharing are prevalent behaviours. Obviously, if the records generated are for more than one user then the conclusions drawn from analysing the data are applicable to the range of users, not one individual. When it comes to movement, we are unable to say if the movement shown is just one person or several people travelling together, and we cannot also say if it’s the same person, over time, or different people. This is why conducting surveys is useful. By calling phone users and conducting field surveys, we can ask people about their phone ownership status, phone usage behaviour, and recalled/reported movements for themselves and others they travel with. This helps with triangulation. But as you rightly point out, there will be limitations to what can be deduced.
From the survey data we assess how representative the subscribers (of the MNO we have for) are of the general population in each region, and where there are differences (.e.g fewer phones per hh of lower socio-economic status) we check whether socio-economic status has an effect on mobility (i.e. whether people with high SES are more mobile for example) - this then enables us to adjust the mobility estimates per region. This is conditioned on having survey data. In regions where there are too few subscribers or not representative then we don’t communicate the data, to avoid possible misinterpretation.*

Hi @Arthur
yes, this is one of the use cases for the analysis of Call Detail Records which Flowminder undertakes.

Hi Raphael,
The URL you shared is not working. Can you please check?
Thanks.