Translation project for Dari and Pashto languages

Hi Jason,

We would like to work on the translation for 2 languages: Dari and Pashto in the DHIS 2. The translation guide in the implementer’s manual provides some instructions that are slightly different from the current translation server user interface. I have a couple of questions.

• Do we have an updated guide?

• Do you need to setup the project first before we can do anything (Under settings → Translation, → Alternative source language, I see Pashto-ps and not Dari)

• Then also does it have a provision for downloading a translation template which can be populated and used to update the server afterward?

regards,

···

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,
We need to do some setup on our side first. Those languages are for the user interface of the translation server, not the actual translation language.

I have now enabled translation for Dari Persian (language code = prs) and Pashto ( language code = ps) for the core translations.

There are many others which need to be translated, but I would suggest that you start with the “dhis-service-core” folder, and then we can go from there.

Once you finish that, please get in touch with my via direct email, as I will need to sync these with the source code.

Translation files can be downloaded for offline translation, using a tool like “POEdit”. You can get the translation template from https://translate.dhis2.org/export/?path=/prs/dhis2-translations/dhis-service-core/dhis-service-core-prs.po for instance.

If you have any other problems, let us know.

Also, thanks for pointing out the manual is out of date. We will try and get it updated.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

We would like to work on the translation for 2 languages: Dari and Pashto in the DHIS 2. The translation guide in the implementer’s manual provides some instructions that are slightly different from the current translation server user interface. I have a couple of questions.

• Do you need to setup the project first before we can do anything (Under settings → Translation, → Alternative source language, I see Pashto-ps and not Dari)
  • Then also does it have a provision for downloading a translation template which can be populated and used to update the server afterward?

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering
email: jason.p.pickering@gmail.com
tel:+46764147049

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We start with the core translation and let you know once we are done.

regards,

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Sam,
We need to do some setup on our side first. Those languages are for the user interface of the translation server, not the actual translation language.

I have now enabled translation for Dari Persian (language code = prs) and Pashto ( language code = ps) for the core translations.

There are many others which need to be translated, but I would suggest that you start with the “dhis-service-core” folder, and then we can go from there.

Once you finish that, please get in touch with my via direct email, as I will need to sync these with the source code.

Translation files can be downloaded for offline translation, using a tool like “POEdit”. You can get the translation template from https://translate.dhis2.org/export/?path=/prs/dhis2-translations/dhis-service-core/dhis-service-core-prs.po for instance.

Also, thanks for pointing out the manual is out of date. We will try and get it updated.

Regards,

Jason

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Sam and Jason,

Chris Leonard here from SugarLabs. We had active Dari and Pashto
projects from when OLPC deployed a lot of XO laptops to Afghanistan.

Dari

Pashto

You will notice that we use the combination fa_AF (Persian in
Afghanistan) to represent Dari. Why? Because both glibc (Linux) and
CLDR (other) locales are fa_AF, not prs_AF

Personally I think this is wrong, I think "prs" should be used for
Dari, but that is not the most common encoding you will find out
there. As much as I want to change common usage (and I am actually
working on developing a policy paper about avoiding the use of
macrolanguage isocodes when developing locales), I would not recommend
swimming against the tide right now. I reluctantly suggest using
fa_AF, if the tide turns it is a super simple filename change to
change to a more accurate representation like prs in future.

cjl

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sam,
We need to do some setup on our side first. Those languages are for the user
interface of the translation server, not the actual translation language.

I have now enabled translation for Dari Persian (language code = prs) and
Pashto ( language code = ps) for the core translations.

Just to offer another suggestion, I would strongly recommend that you
look into using Virtaal fort offline translation work. It is made by
the same people who produce Pootle and it has some really awesome
features that place way ahead of something like POEdit. (especially
the translation memory feature, there are a lot of repeated strings in
DHIS-2 and this will really help you with consistency. It also
implements the same quality control checks that Pootle has, which can
save you from committing files with obvious errors.

cjl

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sam,

Translation files can be downloaded for offline translation, using a tool
like "POEdit". You can get the translation template from
https://translate.dhis2.org/export/?path=/prs/dhis2-translations/dhis-service-core/dhis-service-core-prs.po
for instance.

Hi Chris,
The Health Sector Resiliency project in collaboration with the Ministry of Public Health in Afghanistan is currently piloting the DHIS2 as the national data warehouse for the MoPH.

The translation is currently for DHIS2 terminology and we are liaising with the HIS department in the ministry, so we can reach out to Ebtihaj Obaidi as well. Thank you for the information.

regards,

···

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Jason Pickering

jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Sam,

Translation files can be downloaded for offline translation, using a tool

like “POEdit”. You can get the translation template from

https://translate.dhis2.org/export/?path=/prs/dhis2-translations/dhis-service-core/dhis-service-core-prs.po

for instance.

Just to offer another suggestion, I would strongly recommend that you

look into using Virtaal fort offline translation work. It is made by

the same people who produce Pootle and it has some really awesome

features that place way ahead of something like POEdit. (especially

the translation memory feature, there are a lot of repeated strings in

DHIS-2 and this will really help you with consistency. It also

implements the same quality control checks that Pootle has, which can

save you from committing files with obvious errors.

http://virtaal.translatehouse.org/index.html

cjl

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Jason,

Find attached the translated DHIS2 Dari (Afghanistan Persian) files for upload to the DHIS2. It is the first draft that will be fine tuned as the end users test the system. The Pushto translation will follow hopefully within a month.

And on another note, using the DHIS2 translation manual, we have been working on a translation template for the metadata. Unfortunately the CREATE statement below has failed to run in 2.25. Can you please help to verify if something has changed that should also be reflected in the manual.

curl -X POST -u admin:Pa$$w0rd “http://localhost:8282/dhis/api/translations/” -H “Content-Type: application/json” -d’{“id”:“U5QzK3jiuKF”, “objectId”:“iJP7k1NOjJq”, “className”:“DataElement”, “locale”:“fa”, “property”:“name”, “value”:“demo name translation”}’

I am attaching the error file as well as an xml of the data element in question.

Regards,

Sam.

Translation Post Error message.txt (2.91 KB)

Dari Translation of DHIS 2-20170119T060403Z.zip (273 KB)

DataElement.xml (1.2 KB)

···

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Great. Thanks. Will let you know when we have something ready to test.

Did you have a look at the new translation app? It’s only available on the DEV site but I think it will help with the Metadata translation.

Regards,

Jason

···

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

No, we had not looked at the new translation app. We would not mind trying it out as well especially if it will be easier to use.

How can we access it?

P.s Attached is the template we had developed, hoping to use it to maintain a translation record as well.

regards,

Object Translation Template

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Did you have a look at the new translation app? It’s only available on the DEV site but I think it will help with the Metadata translation.

Regards,

Jason

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017, 07:29 Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

Find attached the translated DHIS2 Dari (Afghanistan Persian) files for upload to the DHIS2. It is the first draft that will be fine tuned as the end users test the system. The Pushto translation will follow hopefully within a month.

And on another note, using the DHIS2 translation manual, we have been working on a translation template for the metadata. Unfortunately the CREATE statement below has failed to run in 2.25. Can you please help to verify if something has changed that should also be reflected in the manual.

curl -X POST -u admin:Pa$$w0rd “http://localhost:8282/dhis/api/translations/” -H “Content-Type: application/json” -d’{“id”:“U5QzK3jiuKF”, “objectId”:“iJP7k1NOjJq”, “className”:“DataElement”, “locale”:“fa”, “property”:“name”, “value”:“demo name translation”}’

I am attaching the error file as well as an xml of the data element in question.

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Have a look here

https://play.dhis2.org/dev/dhis-web-translations/index.html

Docs here

https://docs.dhis2.org/master/en/implementer/html/translations-app.html

I think the template might work, but we have also developed some scripts to use the normal translation tools (PO Edit, Pootle) with the medata as well. This might be a better approach.

Anyway, maybe take a look at the translations app and see if that would be an option for you? One issue I can think of right off the bat is the lack of RTL support. We might be able to fix that quickly however. Have a look at that app first and see if it fits your use case a bit better and let me know.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

No, we had not looked at the new translation app. We would not mind trying it out as well especially if it will be easier to use.

How can we access it?

P.s Attached is the template we had developed, hoping to use it to maintain a translation record as well.

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

I have the first ones in. Please have a look on the dev server.

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Have a look here

Docs here

I think the template might work, but we have also developed some scripts to use the normal translation tools (PO Edit, Pootle) with the medata as well. This might be a better approach.

Anyway, maybe take a look at the translations app and see if that would be an option for you? One issue I can think of right off the bat is the lack of RTL support. We might be able to fix that quickly however. Have a look at that app first and see if it fits your use case a bit better and let me know.

Regards,

Jason

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Thanks.

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Note that you need to select the “prs” locale. We have an issue with certain locales not being translated.

https://jira.dhis2.org/browse/DHIS2-342

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Thank you very much for prompt job.

Regards,

Baktash Salehi

···

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

How can we access it?

regards,

Sam Kasozi

+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

curl -X POST -u admin:Pa$$w0rd "http://localhost:8282/dhis/api/translations/ " -H “Content-Type: application/json” -d’{“id”:“U5QzK3jiuKF”, “objectId”:“iJP7k1NOjJq”, “className”:“DataElement”, “locale”:“fa”, “property”:“name”, “value”:“demo name translation”}’

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi

+256 788-993-565

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Jason Pickering
jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Sam,

Translation files can be downloaded for offline translation, using a tool like “POEdit”. You can get the translation template from https://translate.dhis2.org/export/?path=/prs/dhis2-translations/dhis-service-core/dhis-service-core-prs.po
for instance.

Regards,

Jason

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Sam Kasozi
kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi

+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Thank you Jason,

The translation is looking good so far. A few new items missing, however, they will be translated later.

Regarding the translation App, it is much better than the current option of the multiple clicks on an object to get the translation done. Our critical need is the ability to push 1000+ translations to the server x2 since it will have to be done for both Dari and Pushto.

Then also, if the RTL can be implemented as well, then we can wait for a fix and use that instead. This would have been our second requirement after the addition of the solar Hijri calendar to the DHIS2.

Otherwise, we are open to using any available tools/ scripts that have been developed by the team for translation.

regards,

Sam.

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Note that you need to select the “prs” locale. We have an issue with certain locales not being translated.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Thanks.

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Hi Sam,
I have integrated a number of the translations. You can grab the latest war file here

https://ci.dhis2.org/job/dhis2-trunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dhis-2/dhis-web/dhis-web-portal/target/dhis.war

in about 30 minutes.

I will keep you updated about the rest, but this might allow you to get started and see how things are going.

I will be in Asia next week, so may be a bit out of touch, however, we need to touch base about how to proceed with the rest of the translations. I have made a number of changes to the workflow which I will need to brief you on.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you Jason,

The translation is looking good so far. A few new items missing, however, they will be translated later.

Regarding the translation App, it is much better than the current option of the multiple clicks on an object to get the translation done. Our critical need is the ability to push 1000+ translations to the server x2 since it will have to be done for both Dari and Pushto.

Then also, if the RTL can be implemented as well, then we can wait for a fix and use that instead. This would have been our second requirement after the addition of the solar Hijri calendar to the DHIS2.

Otherwise, we are open to using any available tools/ scripts that have been developed by the team for translation.

regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Thank you Jason for the prompt response.

We will upgrade the war file and review the translation.

Regards,

Sam.

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you Jason,

regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Thanks.

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Thank you.

We will look at it and let you know.

···

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:20 AM
To: Sam Kasozi
Cc: DHIS 2 developers; HSR - Hamid Majidee; HSR - Baktash Salehi
Subject: Re: Translation project for Dari and Pashto languages

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

How can we access it?

regards,

https://ssl.gstatic.com/docs/doclist/images/icon_11_spreadsheet_list.png Object Translation Template

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Jason P. Pickering

Hi Jason,

Find attached the Pashto translation.

I have realised that in the original download from the translation server, the following templates were missing content for translation:

• dhis-web-dataentry

• dhis-web-event-reports

• dhis-web-event-visualizer

• dhis-web-importexport

• dhis-web-light

• dhis-web-maintenance-appmanager

• scripts

So translation has been done for those modules. However, it is complete for the rest of the modules. I have added a hyphen to the folders with incomplete templates.

Will also check with the Dari templates.

regards,

ps-dhis2-translations (Pashto).zip (289 KB)

···

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you Jason,

regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Thanks.

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering

Then also for the Dari translation templates, below were the folders with files missing the translation content:

• dhis-web-dashboard-integration

• dhis-web-dataentry

• dhis-web-event-reports

• dhis-web-importexport

• dhis-web-light

• scripts

I have renamed with a hyphen in the attached.

regards,

dhis2-translations (Dari).zip (262 KB)

···

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jason,

Find attached the Pashto translation.

I have realised that in the original download from the translation server, the following templates were missing content for translation:

• dhis-web-dataentry
  • dhis-web-event-reports
  • dhis-web-importexport
  • dhis-web-light
  • scripts

So translation has been done for those modules. However, it is complete for the rest of the modules. I have added a hyphen to the folders with incomplete templates.

Will also check with the Dari templates.

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Sam Kasozi kasozis@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you Jason,

regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Thanks.

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Have a look here

Docs here

Regards,

Jason

Jason P. Pickering

How can we access it?

regards,

Jason P. Pickering

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Regards,

Sam.

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Hi Sam,

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

regards,

Sam Kasozi
+256 788-993-565

Jason P. Pickering