Translating data elements

Hi - I’m in the process of testing DHIS2. I’m trying to understand if I can use DHIS2 transalations for having the same data element rendering with different labels for different users in different countries. That means that I may have a normalized data element in English-US, but I may want it to render in data sets and reports with different labels for KE, TZ, ZA, or any other english speaking country. When looking at your manual in section ‘4.1.1.2. Data element translation’ (scroll down from here) the feature seems to be available. The screen shot on the manual shows that you can do exactly what I’m describing (see image below)

The issue is that my copy (which runs on Amazon, using Postgres and DHIS 2.10), or for that effect, your demo version for Sierra Leone, do not show the option to make Language-Country combinations - see below:

How can I activate this? I also referred to section 4.1.8 Translations, but changing the database settings doesn’t seem to have any effect. If anyone can let me know how to activate the ‘Language-Country’ locale feature, it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter: @RodolfoMelia

Hi Rodolfo,

sorry you are correct, this section of the user manual is outdated.

We re-factored the database internationalization last year and we took out the ability to create custom locales just to keep things simple. Currently we display all standard Java locales.

The implementation allows for custom locales - what is required is a small user interface for creating them. Hopefully we will have time to do this for 2.11.

In the meantime I suggest that you use arbitrary country locales for your data element versions. We can help you to map this to new custom locales at a later stage using a query.

regards,

Lars

···

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Rodolfo Melia rmelia@npoki.org wrote:

Hi - I’m in the process of testing DHIS2. I’m trying to understand if I can use DHIS2 transalations for having the same data element rendering with different labels for different users in different countries. That means that I may have a normalized data element in English-US, but I may want it to render in data sets and reports with different labels for KE, TZ, ZA, or any other english speaking country. When looking at your manual in section ‘4.1.1.2. Data element translation’ (scroll down from here) the feature seems to be available. The screen shot on the manual shows that you can do exactly what I’m describing (see image below)

Inline image 2

The issue is that my copy (which runs on Amazon, using Postgres and DHIS 2.10), or for that effect, your demo version for Sierra Leone, do not show the option to make Language-Country combinations - see below:

Inline image 3

How can I activate this? I also referred to section 4.1.8 Translations, but changing the database settings doesn’t seem to have any effect. If anyone can let me know how to activate the ‘Language-Country’ locale feature, it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rodolfo Meliá

rmelia@knowming.com

www.knowming.com

+1 708 872 7636

+44 777 576 4090

Twitter: @RodolfoMelia

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp