- Abt Associates, Kisumu, KE
07/31/2021, 04:13 PM
Apply: Abt Classic Career Site
Abt Associates is looking for a data specialist to support Abt’s Monitoring and Evaluation Ecosystem (AMEE), focusing on DHIS2 and Tableau. This role would work with Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Leads across Abt’s portfolio to design and configure forms, indicators, reports, and dashboards in DHIS2 and to develop complex dashboards in Tableau. The data engineer will work with Abt’s Data Sciences, Surveys and Enabling Technologies team and the International Development Division. The position will work in partnership with Abt’s Home Office teams and project teams in Africa, Asia, and South America. This position may require limited international travel.
This position will be based in East Africa.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Design, Build and Maintain DHIS2-based M&E systems
Gather requirements and build DHIS2 based Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems on time while adhering to project and enterprise specifications and standards,
Configure forms, organizational units, indicators, reports, and dashboards in DHIS2
Familiar with configuration with all 3 data models, aggregate, event and tracker
Identify and facilitate interoperability and data exchange requirements with other project or non-project based systems
Facilitate replicable processes
Provide ongoing support and guidance to in-country project teams
Contribute to DHIS2 planning and roll-out of upgrades
Provide DHIS2 trainings and technical support to project teams
Support continual advancement of digital solutions to support projects, including the adoption of new DHIS2 features
Other DHIS2 development, guidance, and organizational capacity building as needed
Design Data Visualizations
- Use Tableau to create a wide variety of tables, charts, maps, and other visualization elements along with filters, drilldowns, and other interactive tools
- Turn analyses and indicators into appealing and understandable visualizations that improve technical insight.
- Gather requirements for project visualization needs, providing guidance on effective organization and chart choice
- Apply skills such as data visualization best practices, user experience design, and graphical design
- Build connectors between Tableau and a wide variety of data sources including DHIS2, SQL Server and other relational databases, other online data sources, and flat files.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate tool for visualization (DHIS2, Tableau, or other) based on project specifics, to balance visual impact, development time, and maintainability.
Required Skills / Prerequisites
- Experience with digital solutions, data management, data quality standards, and/or M&E, preferably with an international NGO
- 2-3 years’ experience configuring and supporting DHIS2 and implementing at scale
- 2-3 years’ experience designing and building visualizations in Tableau
- Deep understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) concepts and practice
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and listening skills
- Strong programming skills with querying languages such as SQL
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, server, and application maintenance
- Knowledge of ODK, REDCap, Qlik Sense, Power BI, CommCare, PostgreSQL, SQL Server
- Proficiency in Python
- Additional language skills: French, Spanish, or Portuguese
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Strong problem solving, quantitative, and analytical abilities
- Experience preparing and leading analytics training and providing end user support.
- Bachelor’s Degree + Two years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
The Division of Data Science and Enabling Technologies is Abt’s full-service technology, data, and innovation partner, offering expertise across the entire spectrum of data — from the initial capture, to data wrangling and analytics, and data visualization and dissemination. They combine deep experience in developing, conducting and capturing high-quality data via complex surveys with an ability to normalize, analyze and transform data into actionable insights.
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.