[SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: Restoring backup

Thanks Bob.

Am currently out of the office. I will do

this as soon as am back there today.

···

------ Original message------

**Date: **Thu, 19 May 2016 15:42

**To: **Chisom;

**Cc: **ceneja@modhip.gov.ng;iokoye@wrp-n.org;johansa@ifi.uio.no;dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net;

**Subject:**Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: [Dhis2-devs] Restoring backup

OK you can see the contents of the file so we know it is a plain text dump. Assuming the file is called dbdump.sql and your database is called dhis, then try the following from the commandline and report back what you get: sudo -u postgres psql -d dhis -f dbdump.sql (you might need to change the name of the database and the dump file to suit what you have) On 19 May 2016 at 14:36, Chisom  wrote: > Dear Bob, > > > > Yes I can see the contents of the file. The machine runs trusty and DHIS2 is > setup. And yes, am part of a team of three responsible for maintaining the > server. Sadly, I have never had to do this kind of db restore before and > neither has any member of the team. > > > > Any help would be great. > > > > ------ Original message------ > > From: Bob Jolliffe > > Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 14:52 > > To: Chisom; > > Cc: > ceneja@modhip.gov.ng;iokoye@wrp-n.org;johansa@ifi.uio.no;dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net; > > Subject:Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: [Dhis2-devs] Restoring backup > > > > Hi Eneja > > It is indeed possible to connect to postgres on the ubuntu server from > pgadmin on windows, but it requires changing a configuration setting > on postgres.  By default it won't listen to network connections for > security reasons. > > In general I would leave that setting alone unless you know exactly > what you are doing. > > You still haven't responded to my earlier question - ie what is in > that file?  Is it text?  Can you look?  If not with 'less' then maybe > even with notepad or something.  If we can resolve this first question > (that the file is ok) then we can move to the next, which is how to > restore it. > > But I think you may need to step back a little.  In particular what is > this ubuntu server and who is responsible for maintaining it.  If you > are struggling to restore a file then I would worry that you are not > really very much in control of this machine which doesn't bode well. > Possibly you need to get some outside support from someone nearby who > has some ubuntu familiarity. > > Bob > > On 19 May 2016 at 12:52, Chisom  wrote: >> Thanks Bob. >> >> >> >> I've done that at the postgres# prompt and there's simply no feedback. I >> am >> contemplating installing pgAdmin on the server then attempt to connect to >> it >> from a Windows pc. Do you think this is a good way to proceed? >> >> >> >> Regards, >> >> Eneja. >> >> >> >> ------ Original message------ >> >> From: Bob Jolliffe >> >> Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 14:37 >> >> To: CHIKWADO ENEJA; >> >> Cc: iokoye@wrp-n.org;johansa@ifi.uio.no;dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net; >> >> Subject:Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: [Dhis2-devs] Restoring backup >> >> Hi Eneja >> >> Please see my earlier request for more exact information.  It sounds >> to me that your pgAdmin dump is not in plain text format.  In which >> case you would have to use pg_restore rather than psql to restore it. >> But you can easily verify by just looking inside the file to see if it >> is a text file - eg using less as I indicated. >> >> Regards >> Bob >> >> On 19 May 2016 at 13:23, CHIKWADO ENEJA  wrote: >>> Dear Bob, >>> >>> >>> >>> The backup made has been copied into a folder in the server. The >>> challenge >>> I >>> have had is to restore that file into an existing database. >>> >>> >>> >>> Regards. >>> >>> >>> >>> C Eneja >>> >>> >>> >>> ------ Original message------ >>> >>> From: Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye >>> >>> Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 13:55 >>> >>> To: 'Bob Jolliffe';'Johan Ivar Sæbø'; >>> >>> Cc: 'dhis2-devs';CHIKWADO ENEJA; >>> >>> Subject:[SUSPECTED SPAM] RE: [Dhis2-devs] Restoring backup >>> >>> >>> >>> Hello Bob, >>> I created the backup file using pgAdmin for Windows. I use PG9.4 with >>> DHIS >>> Live on my laptop. >>> I created it as a plain backup. Size is 3MB. >>> >>> We are now trying to restore the file to an Ubuntu server also running >>> PG9.4 >>> and having some difficulty reading in the file. >>> >>> Lt. Eneja, please could you give Bob some more details as requested? >>> >>> Thank you. >>> >>> Ifeanyi Okoye MB;BS, M.Inf.Sc | Strategic Information Manager >>> Strategic Information Unit, US Department of Defense-Walter Reed Program >>> Nigeria >>> Embassy of the United States of America, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, CBD, >>> Abuja, Nigeria >>> Work: +234-9-461-4000 Ext 4560 | Mobile: +234-805-519-2251 | Email: >>> iokoye@wrp-n.org >>> www.hivresearch.org, www.wrp-n.org >>> >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: Bob Jolliffe [mailto:bobjolliffe@gmail.com] >>> Sent: 19 May 2016 11:09 >>> To: Johan Ivar Sæbø >>> Cc: Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye ; dhis2-devs >>> ; CHIKWADO ENEJA >>> Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] Restoring backup >>> >>> Hi Ifeany >>> >>> Can you give exact psql command you are using and the output? >>> >>> If it is a plain text format you should be able to see the sql commands >>> in >>> it by running a command like 'less backup.sql' (assuming that is the name >>> of >>> your file).  That is always good to verify that what you have is indeed a >>> plain (and uncorrupted) file. >>> >>> Bob >>> >>> >>> >>> On 19 May 2016 at 09:52, Johan Ivar Sæbø  wrote: >>>> Hi Ifeany, >>>> >>>> I forward this to the developer list, which is a good place to direct >>>> such issues. You should create an account and join the list here: >>>> https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs >>>> >>>> I leave it to someone with more expertise to help with the backup >>>> restoration. >>>> Johan >>>> >>>> On 18.05.2016 19:57, Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Hello Johan, >>>>> I hope you are doing well. >>>>> >>>>> I need some technical help with DHIS2 and looking for someone to talk >>>>> to. >>>>> >>>>> I created a db backup file in plain format using pgAdmin for Windows >>>>> (PostgreSQL 9.4). I am trying to restore the backup file to a Postgre >>>>> db in Ubuntu with psql but it is just not working. Says it cannot read >>>>> file. >>>>> >>>>> Who can I talk to to help with this. Been driving us nuts all day. >>>>> >>>>> My colleague can give some more insight into this. >>>>> >>>>> Looking forward to hearing from you. >>>>> >>>>> Ifeanyi Okoye MB;BS, M.Inf.Sc | Strategic Information Manager >>>>> Strategic Information Unit, US Department of Defense-Walter Reed >>>>> Program Nigeria Embassy of the United States of America, Plot 1075 >>>>> Diplomatic Drive, CBD, Abuja, Nigeria >>>>> Work: +234-9-461-4000 Ext 4560 | Mobile: +234-805-519-2251 | Email: >>>>> iokoye@wrp-n.org >>>>> www.hivresearch.org, www.wrp-n.org >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs >>>> Post to     : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net >>>> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs >>>> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp >>> >