Surveillance rules

Hi guys,

I know that surveillance rules compare data from previous periods with the current one. Now I need to compare data values from the same data elements(left and right side), but the rule ignores the previous value and compares only the current value itself which doesn´t make sense as surveillance rules compare current values with previous ones. How can I solve this?

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

A surveillance-type validation rule should work as you say, comparing the current values of the left side with previous values of the right side. I don’t know why you aren’t seeing this behaviour.

When you create a new surveillance-type validation rule, be sure to give a non-zero “Sequential sample count” to compare with periods immediately preceding the current period, and/or a non-zero “Annual sample count” to compare with the same period in past years. If you choose both, it will compare the current data with a range of sequential periods in this year and in past years.

If this is not the problem, I would need some more information to understand better your situation. If you can reproduce the problem on the demo system https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/, or on another system to which I can be given access, that might help the most.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Joao Mazuze Joao_Mazuze@chasssmt.com wrote:

Hi guys,

I know that surveillance rules compare data from previous periods with the current one. Now I need to compare data values from the same data elements(left and right side), but the rule ignores the previous value and compares only the current value itself which doesn´t make sense as surveillance rules compare current values with previous ones. How can I solve this?

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

National Database Manager

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

Cidade de Maputo, Moçambique

Fax: (+ 258) 21486767

Tel: (+ 258) 21493525/6/8

Cell: (+258) 82 4236279

www.chasssmt.com

• Somos um projecto financiado pelo PEPFAR-II, através da USAID, para reforçar o Sistema de Saúde das Provincias de Sofala, Manica e Tete. Pretendemos melhorar a ligação e integração do HIV com os Cuidados Primários de Saúde e outros a ele relacionados em coordenação com as Direcções Provinciais de Saúde e outros parceiros. Através do projecto CHASS-SMT, o Governo Americano apoia o Governo Moçambicano na melhoria da qualidade dos Serviços de Saúde no país.*

This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended solely for the addressee. Please do not read, disseminate or copy it unless you are the intended recipient. If this message has been received in error, we kindly ask that you notify the sender immediately by return email and delete all copies of the message from your system.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Thank you Jim,

Here is the problem´s background:

We need to compare current period value from previous one (monthly period) as the current one it is mandatory to be greater than other. In this case on the demo system I made an example for Bumban MCHP org unit, comparing between March 2015 and April 2015 for dataelement “BCG doses given (<1y) ”, for any value applied to this dataelement the validation always passes successfully, what is strange, the related surveillance rule is called “testePreviousPeriod”. Our goal is to be able to compare those monthly periodical datavalues.

Kind regards

···

Hi Joao,

A surveillance-type validation rule should work as you say, comparing the current values of the left side with previous values of the right side. I don’t know why you aren’t seeing this behaviour.

When you create a new surveillance-type validation rule, be sure to give a non-zero “Sequential sample count” to compare with periods immediately preceding the current period, and/or a non-zero “Annual sample count” to compare with the same period in past years. If you choose both, it will compare the current data with a range of sequential periods in this year and in past years.

If this is not the problem, I would need some more information to understand better your situation. If you can reproduce the problem on the demo system https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/ , or on another system to which I can be given access, that might help the most.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

• Somos um projecto financiado pelo PEPFAR-II, através da USAID, para reforçar o Sistema de Saúde das Provincias de Sofala, Manica e Tete. Pretendemos melhorar a ligação e integração do HIV com os Cuidados Primários de Saúde e outros a ele relacionados em coordenação com as Direcções Provinciais de Saúde e outros parceiros. Através do projecto CHASS-SMT, o Governo Americano apoia o Governo Moçambicano na melhoria da qualidade dos Serviços de Saúde no país.*

This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended solely for the addressee. Please do not read, disseminate or copy it unless you are the intended recipient. If this message has been received in error, we kindly ask that you notify the sender immediately by return email and delete all copies of the message from your system.

Thank you Joao.

Were you trying to use this validation rule to validate data in an input form? Surveillance-type rules are not designed to work this way. They are used after data entry to look for patterns in the data, when added to a validation rule group and run under “Validation Rule Analysis”.

If you were trying to validate data against previous values, I would like to know more about your use case. Can you say more about what the data elements are, and how they should relate to previous periods?

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Joao Mazuze Joao_Mazuze@chasssmt.com wrote:

Thank you Jim,

We need to compare current period value from previous one (monthly period) as the current one it is mandatory to be greater than other. In this case on the demo system I made an example for Bumban MCHP org unit, comparing between March 2015 and April 2015 for dataelement “BCG doses given (<1y) ”, for any value applied to this dataelement the validation always passes successfully, what is strange, the related surveillance rule is called “testePreviousPeriod”. Our goal is to be able to compare those monthly periodical datavalues.

Kind regards

Sent: 14 May 2015 14:15

To: Joao Mazuze

Cc: dhis1-users

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Surveillance rules

Hi Joao,

If this is not the problem, I would need some more information to understand better your situation. If you can reproduce the problem on the demo system https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/ , or on another system to which I can be given access, that might help the most.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

Hi Jim,

Of course I was trying to validate in an input form. In my own case I have a set of data elements that after entered current period values for this data elements we have to compare with the respective immediate previous period values as in our scenario will not make sense when user enter greater values for the current period when compared to previous. That’s why I tried to create an example on the demo site as described on my last email, but unfortunately did not work, even when running “validation rule analysis” after assigned to “validation rule group”, called Testing.

Kind regards,

Joao

···

Thank you Joao.

Were you trying to use this validation rule to validate data in an input form? Surveillance-type rules are not designed to work this way. They are used after data entry to look for patterns in the data, when added to a validation rule group and run under “Validation Rule Analysis”.

If you were trying to validate data against previous values, I would like to know more about your use case. Can you say more about what the data elements are, and how they should relate to previous periods?

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Jim,

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

Hi Joao,

Can you say more about the semantics of what you want to compare with past periods? For example, are these cumulative values? What do they measure?

The reason I ask these questions is to understand better the potential usefulness of adding this feature to DHIS 2. If you have a compelling use case, and if it is consistent with the philosophy of how DHIS 2 is used, then it will add more weight to this feature as we compare its priority to other possible enhancements.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Joao Mazuze Joao_Mazuze@chasssmt.com wrote:

Hi Jim,

Of course I was trying to validate in an input form. In my own case I have a set of data elements that after entered current period values for this data elements we have to compare with the respective immediate previous period values as in our scenario will not make sense when user enter greater values for the current period when compared to previous. That’s why I tried to create an example on the demo site as described on my last email, but unfortunately did not work, even when running “validation rule analysis” after assigned to “validation rule group”, called Testing.

Kind regards,

Joao

Sent: 14 May 2015 14:53

Thank you Joao.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Jim,

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

Yes Jim, these values are cumulative, that´s why we have to compare with previous period to avoid user data entry errors. We have often got many problems when analysing data in our reports because of user entry errors, so we think this feature will solve this, comparing before post and alerting the user if the value entered is lower than previous one.

Cheers,

Joao

···

Hi Joao,

Can you say more about the semantics of what you want to compare with past periods? For example, are these cumulative values? What do they measure?

The reason I ask these questions is to understand better the potential usefulness of adding this feature to DHIS 2. If you have a compelling use case, and if it is consistent with the philosophy of how DHIS 2 is used, then it will add more weight to this feature as we compare its priority to other possible enhancements.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Kind regards,

Joao

Thank you Joao.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Jim,

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

Thank you, Joao.

Others may be able to speak to this better than I, but validating cumulative data values may not be a strong use case for a DHIS 2 feature. The DHIS 2 documentation generally advises against collecting cumulative numbers in data elements. See for example https://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/implementer/html/dhis2_implementation_guide_en_full.html#d3287e894

Instead, it is recommended to collect only the incremental number that is added during a time period. This allows a single data value to be entered – the count for that month – and it can be analyzed in DHIS 2 both as a new count and a cumulative count through time. See for example the use of indicators to represent cumulative data in https://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/implementer/html/dhis2_implementation_guide_en_full.html#d3287e965

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Joao Mazuze Joao_Mazuze@chasssmt.com wrote:

Yes Jim, these values are cumulative, that´s why we have to compare with previous period to avoid user data entry errors. We have often got many problems when analysing data in our reports because of user entry errors, so we think this feature will solve this, comparing before post and alerting the user if the value entered is lower than previous one.

Cheers,

Joao

Sent: 14 May 2015 15:24

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Kind regards,

Joao

Thank you Joao.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Jim,

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com

Hi,

I understand you explanation about this, but for our particular case it would be difficult to use incremental value as the physical summary shows the cumulative values, in this case we would need to look for previous physical sources and compare with the current one and calculate the incremental value, this would spend time. May be you can help me a simple javascript to perform that.

Cheers,

João

···

Thank you, Joao.

Others may be able to speak to this better than I, but validating cumulative data values may not be a strong use case for a DHIS 2 feature. The DHIS 2 documentation generally advises against collecting cumulative numbers in data elements. See for example https://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/implementer/html/dhis2_implementation_guide_en_full.html#d3287e894

Instead, it is recommended to collect only the incremental number that is added during a time period. This allows a single data value to be entered – the count for that month – and it can be analyzed in DHIS 2 both as a new count and a cumulative count through time. See for example the use of indicators to represent cumulative data in https://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/implementer/html/dhis2_implementation_guide_en_full.html#d3287e965

Cheers,

Jim

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Joao Mazuze Joao_Mazuze@chasssmt.com wrote:

Cheers,

Joao

Sent: 14 May 2015 15:24

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Kind regards,

Joao

Thank you Joao.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you Jim,

Kind regards

Hi Joao,

Cheers,

Jim

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

João

Kind regards

João Gabriel Mazuze

Projecto CHASS-SMT

Abt Associates Inc.

Av. Marginal, 4067

www.chasssmt.com