[SOLVED] Re: Switching Postgresql 9.1 to 9.2 failure: could not create share memory segment: Invalid argument

Thanks.

I am glad this is resolved for now.

Cheers

···

2013/5/23 Sovello Hildebrand Mgani sovellohpmgani@gmail.com

I am bringing this forward to you guys that you may help:

Here are the details of the error. I got it on installing Postgres 9.2 after removing 9.1 completely.

I also have these values set and loaded with sudo sysctl -p.

kernel.shmmax = 4294967296 net.core.rmem_max = 8388608 net.core.wmem_max = 8388608

But when I do sudo sysctl -a | grep shhmax it outputs kernel.shmmax=0

[Details for the Postgresql Error]

Creating new cluster (configuration: /etc/postgresql/9.2/main, data: /var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main)…
FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: Invalid argument
DETAIL: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1835008, 03600).

HINT: This error usually means that PostgreSQL’s request for a shared memory segment exceeded your kernel’s SHMMAX parameter. You can either reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX. To reduce the request size (currently 1835008 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL’s shared memory usage, perhaps by reducing shared_buffers or max_connections.

If the request size is already small, it's possible that it is less than your kernel's SHMMIN parameter, in which case raising the request size or reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.
The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about shared memory configuration.

child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory “/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main”
Error: initdb failed

Thanking in advance

Cheerio!

:: Sovello Hildebrand Mgani ::

–If you teach man to fish, you’ll feed him a lifetime–

:: Sovello Hildebrand Mgani ::

–If you teach man to fish, you’ll feed him a lifetime–