SMS Reporting Implementation

Hello,

I am trying to set up data reporting by SMS, but I cannot find in the document a clear explanation of how to set it up.

Is there a part in the document that I may not have seen that explains step by step how to set up data reporting via sms?

Regards

How to say to dhis 2 capture app to sync data via SMS ?

Hi @didate

In order to have reporting via SMS you need to work on several steps, which I can briefly summarize here:

1. Make sure you have properly set up you DHIS2 server to work with SMS. The official guide contains lot of information about this: Configure SMS - DHIS2 Documentation
  2. You will also need a SMS Gateway. This is commented in the link above and have been tested with different providers. In my opinion this is the trickiest point as it might need a deep understanding of how SMS work, how your provider will handle SMS (for example for multiparts, etc). This is something out of DHIS2 per se so we recommend you testing heavily before and reach the CoP again with more questions. It is important to understand that depending on your mobile provider you might need to perform some functions yourself (like reassembling SMS for multiparts) and for this you might need another server.
  3. On the last point you will need to make sure your DHIS2 Android App is properly set up (this means setting the Gateway number) which you can do with the Android Settings WebApp to make it a central setting or individually per device. More info can be found here: DHIS2 Android App - DHIS2 Documentation

On another point, if you want a very detailed technical information we wrote this guide which explain all the steps and present a testing scenario: https://github.com/dhis2/dhis2-android-capture-app/blob/master/docs/src/commonmark/en/content/tech-guides/SMS-Sync.md

1 Like

Hello @jaime.bosque

Thank you for your explanation.

First, I created and configured a Command based on a dataSet (Key value parser)

Second, I installed and configured the android gateway application.(We are in the process of negotiating with a local provider, in the meantime I will be using the android gateway app for our tests.)

On the other hand, I do not have the SMS Settings option in the dhis 2 capture application as in the following image.

I probably missed a configuration somewhere to make this option appear

Regards

1 Like

Hi @didate .

I am not sure I understand your last point. What do you mean you don’t have those SMS settings? Which version are you using?

Hello @jaime.bosque

Thank you for your message.

I’m talking about dhis 2 capture app, I don’t have SMS settings option as in the picture above (I saw this picture here → https://github.com/dhis2/dhis2-android-capture-app/blob/master/docs/src/commonmark/en/content/tech-guides/SMS-Sync.md).

Here is what I have in Setting option.

I’m using dhis 2 capture v2.5

Regards

Uhmmm, does your device have a SIM card?

Yes.

Uhmmm, ok. Thanks to @Jaime I understand now. It seems you downloaded the wrong version. If you check on Github there are three versions:

Probably you have downloaded the no_sms which is the one being uploaded to Google Play. This is because at the moment Google doesn’t allow us uploading the SMS application to the Play Store (we are trying to solve the problem). Could you please download the training or the normal version and trying again?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Oh yes, now I have the SMS Setting option.

I mark this topic as resolved, if I have another issue with the SMS configuration I will open another one.

Thank you @jaime.bosque

1 Like