Sharing settings for category options in Cat Combo's for Program attributes (i.e. implementing partner, etc)

Can someone help to confirm if this is the expected behavior or if I’m experiencing a bug.

2.37:
We have a program with a cat combo “implementing partner” and we want to restrict the list of IPs for each user based on which category options (specific IPs) are shared with them. So when user A goes to create a program stage, they only see a few IPs relevant to them, and user B would have a different list.

We have the Category options shared ONLY (not public) with specific users and user groups
We have the Categories set to Public
We have the Category Combo set to Public

But when we login as “User A” we see the full list of category options (all IPs)

Am I thinking of this in the wrong way or is this a bug? I haven’t found anything in Jira yet but will happily write up a ticket if someone can check my work.

edit: @Karoline - do you know about this?

1 Like

Hi @chase.freeman ,
This sounds extremely similar to another big implementation which I have a bit of experience with. It should in principle work and has definitely been proven to work on a large scale. Could you share a bit more details …perhaps snippets of how the various metadata objects are configured?

Regards,
Jason

1 Like

Did you find a resolution in your case @jason? It metadata is configured quite simply:

Program is assigned the Category Combo “Implementing Partners”

The category combo data dimension type is set as attribute, with one category assigned: “Implementing Partners”

The Category is also an “attribute” data dimension, with all category options (IPs) assigned.

The category options have name, shortName, and Code and I just noticed there is no Org Unit assigned but I don’t think that would affect the sharing settings on the CO. EDIT: The IPs cannot be assigned to OUs, since it was too heavy on the server. It’s what made the server basically crash the last time. Resource tables crashed because of too many assignments. (22k OUs, multinational server down to sub-national level 3)

And the previously mentioned sharing settings:

We have the Category options shared ONLY (not public) with specific users and user groups
We have the Categories set to Public
We have the Category Combo set to Public

Yeah, I do not think the organisation unit assignment should matter in principle.

Have you tried to use the same attribute combo in an aggregate dataset and see if the same behavior is observed? I just am wondering if this has something to do with the use of a program.

Reading through your setup, it sounds correct to me, and is essentially the same as the PEPFAR DHIS2 instance, which makes extensive use of this type of sharing setup.

1 Like