Setting up Email

Dear All,

I tried setting up email on an instance with SMTP using Google Apps settings. Following are the settings I used.

hostname: smtp.gmail.com

port: 465

username: xxx@xxx.net

password: ****

Email sender: xxx@xxx.net

TLS enabled

But, testing email is never received at my emaiil account.

When I checked catalina.out it contained following errors.

• INFO 2015-12-28 16:03:45,413 Sending email to user: XXX with email address: xxx@xxx.net to host: smtp.gmail.com:1 (EmailMessageSender.java [SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-15])
  • WARN 2015-12-28 16:04:45,491 Could not send email: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1, org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1410)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1437)
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.sendMessage(EmailMessageSender.java:150)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
    at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.AsyncExecutionInterceptor$1.call(AsyncExecutionInterceptor.java:110)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 1;
    nested exception is:
    java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1972)
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:642)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:317)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:125)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:194)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1400)
    … 12 more
    Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:345)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)
    at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:317)
    at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:233)
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1938)
    … 19 more
    (EmailMessageSender.java [SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-15])

//////////////////////////////////

it contains could not connect to SMTP host and connection timed out. Do I need to set anything else on Tomcat config? What am I missing here.

Thank you

···

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Confidentiality Notice: the information contained in this email and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

Hi

Could it be that its the wrong port? it seems like TLS requires port 587 [1] ?

[1] http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f/Gmail_SMTP_Settings.htm

···

Morten

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Dear All,

I tried setting up email on an instance with SMTP using Google Apps settings. Following are the settings I used.

TLS enabled

• INFO 2015-12-28 16:03:45,413 Sending email to user: XXX with email address: xxx@xxx.net to host: smtp.gmail.com:1 (EmailMessageSender.java [SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-15])
  • WARN 2015-12-28 16:04:45,491 Could not send email: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1, org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.sendMessage(EmailMessageSender.java:150)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
    at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.AsyncExecutionInterceptor$1.call(AsyncExecutionInterceptor.java:110)
    Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 1;
    nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
    … 19 more

it contains could not connect to SMTP host and connection timed out. Do I need to set anything else on Tomcat config? What am I missing here.

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Confidentiality Notice: the information contained in this email and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Thanx Morten. By bad, wrong port.

But when I selected port 587, it throws out following error.

• WARN 2015-12-28 16:22:00,067 Error while sending email: Cannot connect to a port number that is less than 1 ( 0 ), java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot connect to a port number that is less than 1 ( 0 )
    at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.setSmtpPort(Email.java:533)
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.getHtmlEmail(EmailMessageSender.java:176)
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.sendMessage(EmailMessageSender.java:127)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor631.invoke(Unknown Source)
    (EmailMessageSender.java [SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-24])
···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Ok

What version of DHIS 2? I’m adding in Lars, I think he has set it up for gmail before (I haven’t).

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

• WARN 2015-12-28 16:22:00,067 Error while sending email: Cannot connect to a port number that is less than 1 ( 0 ), java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot connect to a port number that is less than 1 ( 0 )
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.getHtmlEmail(EmailMessageSender.java:176)
    at org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.sendMessage(EmailMessageSender.java:127)

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:
2015-10-26 01:19

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Ok

What version of DHIS 2? I’m adding in Lars, I think he has set it up for gmail before (I haven’t).

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Could you give me the output of:

SERVER/api/systemSettings/keyEmailPort

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Morten

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Hi,

It’s “0”

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Right. That’s what i suspected, that setting is wrong. Did you use the new setting app to set it? could you try and change between the different ports and see if the output changes for you?

It could be a bug in the settings app, but I’m not sure. 0 is never a valid value for that setting.

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

It’s “0”

Morten

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

While not ideal, you could null it out with:
delete from systemsetting where name=‘keyEmailPort’;

And then it should default to TLS port.

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Right. That’s what i suspected, that setting is wrong. Did you use the new setting app to set it? could you try and change between the different ports and see if the output changes for you?

It could be a bug in the settings app, but I’m not sure. 0 is never a valid value for that setting.

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Dear Morten,

I toggled between the remaining ports 25 and 465. Both throws out

"Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 2;
nested exception is:
"

I’ll try the method you suggested.

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

and yes, it’s the new settings app I used

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Dear Morten,

"Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 2;
nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Ok, so is this happening when you are sending out the test email?

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Yes, when trying to send out test email after entering the email settings.

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Ok, could be a bug in the settings app.

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Pamod Amarakoon pamodm@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Dear Morten,

Deleting keyEmailPort from systemsetting table solved the problem.

Thanx a lot !

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Morten

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Hi Pamod,

this was a bug with the settings app which has been fixed. Try upgrading to latest 2.21 from dhis2.org/downloads.

regards,

Lars

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Morten

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Lars Helge Øverland

Lead developer, DHIS 2

University of Oslo

http://www.dhis2.org

Thanx Lars. Will do :slight_smile:

···

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Pamod,

this was a bug with the settings app which has been fixed. Try upgrading to latest 2.21 from dhis2.org/downloads.

regards,

Lars

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Morten Olav Hansen mortenoh@gmail.com wrote:

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Lars Helge Øverland

Lead developer, DHIS 2

University of Oslo

http://www.dhis2.org

Morten

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear Morten,

nested exception is:
"

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Morten

Hi,

It’s “0”

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Thanx Morten,

it’s
Version:
Build revision:
Build date:

Ok

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Hi

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Morten

Dear All,

TLS enabled

nested exception is:
    … 12 more
    … 19 more

Thank you

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon

Regards,
Pamod Amarakoon