Set data approvals with dhis 2.23

Hi

We had HMIS system with 6 Org levels (National, Province, District, Sub district, Sector, facilities) running the version 2.20. The approval was working fine, users at province level could approve/ unapprove data from facilities of respective provinces. The constraints in this version was that a person couldn’t approve for individual reporting unit, it was done once for all facilities under a province, but the it was working fine and lock data.

However after upgrading to 2.23, the approval couldn’t lock data for reporting unit, rather it locks data for upper levels excluding reporting facility. ie the data manager can still change data freely.

checking from the settings, we realized that for every data set the system has created and assign workflow with identical dataset name together with Province as approval level only.

Reading from the doc, for the dataset to be approved in same time they have to be assigned to the the same workflow. I did that but while testing it this message is displayed " Approval status: Waiting for lower levels to approve" while the workflow assigned to it has Prov, sub district and facilities as approval levels.

What we want is to have user at province level to approve data from facilities under his supervision and has possibilities to unlock data for specific dataset in given reporting unit

Has any one experienced this situation or someone who can provide a hint on how to set this approval?

Regards,

···

Adolphe Kamugunga
MIS Technical Advisor
Mobile: +250 788 740 578
Email:kaadol@gmail.com

RWANDA

Hi Adolphe,

Thank you for your report.

1. Workflows:

As you saw, when upgrading your database to include workflows, one workflow is created for each dataset for which approvals had been enabled. If you wish to approve/unapprove multiple datasets always together, you can reassign the dataset workflows so they refer to the same workflow. You can also change the name of a workflow if you wish.

If this results in any unused workflows that you don’t need any more, you can delete them after all their datasets have been reassigned, and after removing any approvals for them. (This last step can be done through the UI, or you may find it more practical to do this through a SQL script if there are many approvals for the workflow. If you do this through SQL, be sure to clear the Hibernate cache or restart Tomcat afterwards.)

Note that in 2.23, under Reports, the Data Approval Report still asks you to select a dataset for approval. But what is actually approved is the workflow associated with the dataset for that org unit and period. This means that when you select other datasets using the same workflow, they will also be approved. Data will be locked for all dataset associated with that workflow. We will change the user interface in the future so that the workflow will be selected instead of the dataset, to make this clearer.

2. Levels:

Before you upgraded, did you have only one approval level defined – at the Province level? If the upgrade left you with Province as the only approval level, then this would be my guess.

Do you want approvals at only the Province level? In other words, data may be freely entered at any facility until approved at the Province level, which locks data entry for all facilities in the Province for that dataset and period? Then, if the data is unapproved at the Province level, data entry is allowed again for all facilities in that Province for that dataset and period? If this is true, then the workflow should be linked to only one approval level, at the Province level.

If you have the workflow linked to multiple approval levels, then data must first be approved at the lowest of these levels, and it must be approved for every org unit at the lower level before it can be approved at the higher level. For example, if you have a workflow assigned to Province, Sub district and facilities levels, then you must approve every facilities in a sub district before you can approve the sub district. Then you must approve every sub district in the Province before you can approve the Province. If you haven’t done all of this, then you will get the message “Waiting for lower levels to approve” when looking at the higher level. This should have functioned the same way in 2.20 (when approving by dataset) as in 2.23 (when approving by workflow.)

3. Data Locking:

You say that “after upgrading to 2.23, the approval couldn’t lock data for reporting unit, rather it locks data for upper levels excluding reporting facility. ie the data manager can still change data freely.” I am so far unable to reproduce this. For example on https://play.dhis2.org/demo (running 2.25) I tried approving the dataset “Mortality < 5 years” for Serria Leone → Bo → Badjia for December 2016. (This approved the related workflow “Mortality < 5 years” for Badjia for Dec 2016.) I then went to data entry for the facility Ngelehun CHC under Badjia, and the data was locked for Mortality < 5 years, Dec 2016 (but not, for example for Nov 2016). I then created a data entry user with access to Ngelehun CHC only, and that user also could not enter data for Ngelehun CHC, Mortality < 5 years, December 2016.

If you are still having trouble with this, please try one of the following:

• See if you can reproduce the same kind of problem on https://play.dhis2.org/demo

• Give a more detailed description of the problem and configuration so I can try better to reproduce it.

• Give me access to a system where I can see the problem myself, if you can.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Kamugunga Adolphe kaadol@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

We had HMIS system with 6 Org levels (National, Province, District, Sub district, Sector, facilities) running the version 2.20. The approval was working fine, users at province level could approve/ unapprove data from facilities of respective provinces. The constraints in this version was that a person couldn’t approve for individual reporting unit, it was done once for all facilities under a province, but the it was working fine and lock data.

However after upgrading to 2.23, the approval couldn’t lock data for reporting unit, rather it locks data for upper levels excluding reporting facility. ie the data manager can still change data freely.

checking from the settings, we realized that for every data set the system has created and assign workflow with identical dataset name together with Province as approval level only.

Reading from the doc, for the dataset to be approved in same time they have to be assigned to the the same workflow. I did that but while testing it this message is displayed " Approval status: Waiting for lower levels to approve" while the workflow assigned to it has Prov, sub district and facilities as approval levels.

What we want is to have user at province level to approve data from facilities under his supervision and has possibilities to unlock data for specific dataset in given reporting unit

Has any one experienced this situation or someone who can provide a hint on how to set this approval?

Regards,

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Adolphe Kamugunga
MIS Technical Advisor

RWANDA

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.

http://www.dhis2.org

Thank you Calle and Jim for your quick response,
Let me try it i will be back to you shortly,

Regards,

Adolphe

···

On 4 November 2016 at 18:02, Jim Grace jim@dhis2.org wrote:

Hi Adolphe,

Thank you for your report.

1. Workflows:

As you saw, when upgrading your database to include workflows, one workflow is created for each dataset for which approvals had been enabled. If you wish to approve/unapprove multiple datasets always together, you can reassign the dataset workflows so they refer to the same workflow. You can also change the name of a workflow if you wish.

If this results in any unused workflows that you don’t need any more, you can delete them after all their datasets have been reassigned, and after removing any approvals for them. (This last step can be done through the UI, or you may find it more practical to do this through a SQL script if there are many approvals for the workflow. If you do this through SQL, be sure to clear the Hibernate cache or restart Tomcat afterwards.)

Note that in 2.23, under Reports, the Data Approval Report still asks you to select a dataset for approval. But what is actually approved is the workflow associated with the dataset for that org unit and period. This means that when you select other datasets using the same workflow, they will also be approved. Data will be locked for all dataset associated with that workflow. We will change the user interface in the future so that the workflow will be selected instead of the dataset, to make this clearer.

2. Levels:

Before you upgraded, did you have only one approval level defined – at the Province level? If the upgrade left you with Province as the only approval level, then this would be my guess.

Do you want approvals at only the Province level? In other words, data may be freely entered at any facility until approved at the Province level, which locks data entry for all facilities in the Province for that dataset and period? Then, if the data is unapproved at the Province level, data entry is allowed again for all facilities in that Province for that dataset and period? If this is true, then the workflow should be linked to only one approval level, at the Province level.

If you have the workflow linked to multiple approval levels, then data must first be approved at the lowest of these levels, and it must be approved for every org unit at the lower level before it can be approved at the higher level. For example, if you have a workflow assigned to Province, Sub district and facilities levels, then you must approve every facilities in a sub district before you can approve the sub district. Then you must approve every sub district in the Province before you can approve the Province. If you haven’t done all of this, then you will get the message “Waiting for lower levels to approve” when looking at the higher level. This should have functioned the same way in 2.20 (when approving by dataset) as in 2.23 (when approving by workflow.)

3. Data Locking:

You say that “after upgrading to 2.23, the approval couldn’t lock data for reporting unit, rather it locks data for upper levels excluding reporting facility. ie the data manager can still change data freely.” I am so far unable to reproduce this. For example on https://play.dhis2.org/demo (running 2.25) I tried approving the dataset “Mortality < 5 years” for Serria Leone → Bo → Badjia for December 2016. (This approved the related workflow “Mortality < 5 years” for Badjia for Dec 2016.) I then went to data entry for the facility Ngelehun CHC under Badjia, and the data was locked for Mortality < 5 years, Dec 2016 (but not, for example for Nov 2016). I then created a data entry user with access to Ngelehun CHC only, and that user also could not enter data for Ngelehun CHC, Mortality < 5 years, December 2016.

If you are still having trouble with this, please try one of the following:

• Give a more detailed description of the problem and configuration so I can try better to reproduce it.
  • Give me access to a system where I can see the problem myself, if you can.

Cheers,

Jim

Adolphe Kamugunga
MIS Technical Advisor

RWANDA

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Kamugunga Adolphe kaadol@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

Regards,

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Jim Grace
Core developer, DHIS 2

HISP US Inc.

http://www.dhis2.org

Adolphe Kamugunga
MIS Technical Advisor