Reports are not properly updated after table analytics

Hi all,

I am facing some problems with DHIS2: reports are not properly updated after Data Entry.
I ran a few experiments in the online demo (https://play.dhis2.org/2.34.0) to circumscribe the issue.

First experiment:

1. I created a simple Data Set in the demo and I included a single Data Element named aa1. Period type: daily.
  2. in the Data Entry I added the value ‘1’ to the following dates:
    • 29 June
    • 30 June
    • 1 July
  3. Run analytics (no skipping)

Data Visualizer:

• Period = ‘Last 14 days’; chart type = ‘Column’ → no data returned
  • Period = ‘Last 7 days’; chart type = ‘Column’ → no data returned; added to the dashboard: no data returned
  • Period = ‘Last 3 days’; chart type = ‘Column’ → data properly returned; added to the dashboard: data properly returned
  • Chart type = ‘Pivot table’ → data properly returned, no matter what Period I choose

Pivot Tables:

• data always properly returned, no matter what Period I choose

Second experiment:

1. I created a second Data Element (aa2) and a second Dat Set, same configuration
  2. In Data Entry I added the same values to the same dates
  3. Run analytics (no skipping)

Data Visualizer:

• Chart type = ‘Column’ → -> data properly returned, no matter what Period I choose
  • Chart type = ‘Column’; Data = ‘aa1’ + ‘aa2’ → data properly returned for both the Data Element (but if I remove aa2 still no data are returned for aa1!)
  • Chart type = ‘Pivot table’ → data properly returned, no matter what Period I choose

Pivot Tables:

• data properly returned, no matter what Period I choose

Third experiment:

1. In Data Entry I added the value ‘1’ to the date 27 June (Data Element aa2)
  2. Run analytics (no skipping)

Data Visualizer:

• Period: ‘last 14 days’ → the data related to 27 June are not shown; report is not up to date

Pivot Table:

• Period: ‘last 14 days’ → data properly returned

As you can see the behavior is quite strange. To be honest, I think it makes no sense at all.

Yesterday I ran exactly the same tests: I faced a strange behavior too, but with slightly different results. There is a problem but its effects are somehow random.

Please note that I run the same experiments in my local instance too: same results, slightly different again.

Can you please help? I am assessing DHIS2 but at the moment it doesn’t look very reliable… this random behavior is totally unexpected.

All my experiments are still available in the on line demo if you want to take a look.

Thank in advance and Best Regards,

Davide

1 Like

Dear Davide,

Thank you for running some of these queries and testing it out, it is interesting the different results that are coming up.

I am bringing this up to @dhis2-analytics, maybe there are some reasons for the discrepancies or improvements that can be made to the reports.

Thanks again,
Karoline

Thank you Karoline, I appreciate.
Recently I found that when I delete registered data in Tracking Programs, data is not deleted.
For instance, I created a tracking program, registered some entities and then I deleted all the entities. Now in the program there are no entities registered, but I still can see data in the Data Visualizer.
Is it possible that these behaviours are related? As per the problem I originally reported, it looks like there is some mismatch between data entry and reporting.
Thank you and Best Regards,
Davide

Hi @davide,

I think the behavior you see might be explained by the caching. For the stable releases in the play environment we have both server-side caching and HTTP/client caching enabled. So depending on what requests/reports have been generated previously, you might be seeing a cached response.

I recommend that you do these tests on a local environment where you disable all caching. You can do that from Apps > System Settings > Server > Cache strategy and set to No cache.

best,

Lars