Problem with org units and data aggregation on Event Reports

Hello devs,

I’m trying to generate data tables in a system with test data on Event Report app.

Test data was introduced in the system by two different users through the same program without registration.

For some reason, once Export Analytics is done succesfully, only the data which has been introduced by one of the users is appearing on Event Report tables app. Besides, the org unit hierarchy tab only seems to load some part of the org unit hierarchy on Event Report (screenshot attached).

I double checked users and users role configuration (Data capture and maintenance organisation units and Data output and analysis organisation units) and it seems to be ok (screenshots attached)

I don’t know if this is a misconfiguration of something or a bug somewhere (catalina.out doesn’t complain).

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

···

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS
Telemedicina para países en desarrollo -www.ehas.org

E.T.S.I. de Telecomunicación A.101-9L. Ciudad Universitaria 30, 28040 Madrid - España

Tlfno. (+34) 91 488 87 41: (+34) 687 67 17 62

I forgot to add:

• DHIS2 version: 2.22
  • Revision: 21889
···

2016-03-11 11:52 GMT+01:00 Sergio Valenzuela sergio.valenzuela@ehas.org:

Hello devs,

I’m trying to generate data tables in a system with test data on Event Report app.

Test data was introduced in the system by two different users through the same program without registration.

For some reason, once Export Analytics is done succesfully, only the data which has been introduced by one of the users is appearing on Event Report tables app. Besides, the org unit hierarchy tab only seems to load some part of the org unit hierarchy on Event Report (screenshot attached).

I double checked users and users role configuration (Data capture and maintenance organisation units and Data output and analysis organisation units) and it seems to be ok (screenshots attached)

I don’t know if this is a misconfiguration of something or a bug somewhere (catalina.out doesn’t complain).

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

E.T.S.I. de Telecomunicación A.101-9L. Ciudad Universitaria 30, 28040 Madrid - España

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,
Is there are reason you have selected so many orgunits?

Normally, a user would be assigned to a single (perhaps a few) organisation units for data capture. DHIS2 will enable data entry for all units which are descendants of the orgunit selected (assuming, a data set has been assigned).

For the second one “Data analysis” orgunits, typically, again, this would be a single orgunit, which would restrict the user to that orgunit and its descendants.

I would try and configure the user like that, and see if that helps.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Sergio Valenzuela sergio.valenzuela@ehas.org wrote:

I forgot to add:

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Jason P. Pickering
email: jason.p.pickering@gmail.com
tel:+46764147049

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer.

For data capture:
I’m not using any data set because all the data elements are tracker type. Could this be the problem? So that’s why I’m selecting all org units for this user (Maybe I could try to select only the children and unselect all the parents, to see if this fix anything)

For data analysis:

I’m selecting all for the same reason as in data capture. Is it normal the way hierarchy is showing on the screenshot? It’s like is all messed up, parents and children mix all together…

Thanks again for your time.

···

2016-03-11 12:23 GMT+01:00 Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com:

Hi Sergio,

Normally, a user would be assigned to a single (perhaps a few) organisation units for data capture. DHIS2 will enable data entry for all units which are descendants of the orgunit selected (assuming, a data set has been assigned).

For the second one “Data analysis” orgunits, typically, again, this would be a single orgunit, which would restrict the user to that orgunit and its descendants.

Regards,

Jason

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Sergio Valenzuela sergio.valenzuela@ehas.org wrote:

I forgot to add:

Jason P. Pickering

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi there. This is not the intended function of these settings.

For data capture, this will restrict data entry to a given branch of the hierarchy. For instance, if this person is responsible for a given district and it’s facilities, you should assign them to the district. In the data entry screen, the user will only see that districts branch of the hierarchy. Data entry will still be controlled by the data set assignments.

For the analysis hierarchy, the intent of this feature is to restrict the user to a given branch. For instance, in a Global hierarchy, you might want to restrict users to their country (which you would select). This would have the effect of allowing them to do data entry at say the district level, but see data across their own country (but not above it).

This seems to be a very misused feature, and one poorly explained in the documentation after I took at look at it now to refer you to it.

Hope this helps. My advice would be

1. Do not have multiple roots to the hierarchy. There should always be just a single level 1 node.

2. Do not assign the super user role to anything other than this top root node

3. Do not assign users too many data entry orgunits. Let the data set assignments take care of this.

4. Do not use the data analysis orgunits at all, unless you have a specific reason to restrict users to a particular branch of the hierarchy.

5. Consider using approvals if you really need to obfuscate data from certain classes of users.

Regards,

Jason

···

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,

Regards,

Jason

I forgot to add:

Jason P. Pickering

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Thank you Jason.

As you said, there is not a lot of information about this feature and I was kind of confused about how It worked. It is more clear now.

I followed your recommendations and they fixed some of the malfunction on my implementation. The only thing it is still not working is the “not aggregation” to the Event Report tables (after Analytics export) of the test data which was introduced by an user other than me (with a superuser role as mine). I will keep trying for a while to fix this too (because it took us quite a long time to introduce all this test data), but eventually I guess we’ll have to introduce it again with the new configuration tips you’ve just gave me.

Best regards!

···

2016-03-11 13:18 GMT+01:00 Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com:

For data capture, this will restrict data entry to a given branch of the hierarchy. For instance, if this person is responsible for a given district and it’s facilities, you should assign them to the district. In the data entry screen, the user will only see that districts branch of the hierarchy. Data entry will still be controlled by the data set assignments.

For the analysis hierarchy, the intent of this feature is to restrict the user to a given branch. For instance, in a Global hierarchy, you might want to restrict users to their country (which you would select). This would have the effect of allowing them to do data entry at say the district level, but see data across their own country (but not above it).

This seems to be a very misused feature, and one poorly explained in the documentation after I took at look at it now to refer you to it.

1. Do not have multiple roots to the hierarchy. There should always be just a single level 1 node.
  1. Do not assign the super user role to anything other than this top root node
  1. Do not assign users too many data entry orgunits. Let the data set assignments take care of this.
  1. Do not use the data analysis orgunits at all, unless you have a specific reason to restrict users to a particular branch of the hierarchy.
  1. Consider using approvals if you really need to obfuscate data from certain classes of users.

Regards,

Jason

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016, 12:42 Sergio Valenzuela sergio.valenzuela@ehas.org wrote:

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer.

For data capture:
I’m not using any data set because all the data elements are tracker type. Could this be the problem? So that’s why I’m selecting all org units for this user (Maybe I could try to select only the children and unselect all the parents, to see if this fix anything)

For data analysis:

I’m selecting all for the same reason as in data capture. Is it normal the way hierarchy is showing on the screenshot? It’s like is all messed up, parents and children mix all together…

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,

Regards,

Jason

I forgot to add:

Jason P. Pickering

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Jason,

Just to add a tuppins worth. We had a case where a user was accidentally allocated to OU1 and OU2 orgunit and the result is that the hierarchy renders in reports with the OU2 orgunit and it’s descendants followed by the OU1 orgunit and it’s descendants. Fixed when we unallocated the user from the OU2 orgunit. It makes sense to allocate a user only to the parent Ou level so maybe dhis2 should not allow multiple level assignments or if there is a use case for it consider this as a bug though I would agree with the parent assignment rule.

Elmarie Claasen

HISP-SA

···

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,

Regards,

Jason

I forgot to add:

Jason P. Pickering

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,

like said above, by selecting org units, the system provides access to all units in their sub-hierarchy as well. We have seen this many times now so I have included a tip text in the add/edit user screen. Hope it is clearer now.

regards,

Lars

···

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

1. Do not assign the super user role to anything other than this top root node
  1. Do not assign users too many data entry orgunits. Let the data set assignments take care of this.
  1. Do not use the data analysis orgunits at all, unless you have a specific reason to restrict users to a particular branch of the hierarchy.
  1. Consider using approvals if you really need to obfuscate data from certain classes of users.

Regards,

Jason

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016, 12:42 Sergio Valenzuela sergio.valenzuela@ehas.org wrote:

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer.

For data capture:

For data analysis:

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hi Sergio,

Regards,

Jason

I forgot to add:

Jason P. Pickering

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Hello devs,

Sergio Valenzuela
Fundación EHAS

Lars Helge Øverland

Lead developer, DHIS 2

University of Oslo

http://www.dhis2.org