Problem displaying translation of dataelements in data entry

I’m not sure if others have had this issue, but in Rwanda we have some of our forms in both French and Kinyarwanda. We have translated all of the data elements and are using section forms. In theory, when we use section forms rather than custom forms, the data element names should change automatically when the database language changes.

This does not appear to work!

When I change database languages and I go to the data element list I see the names displayed in the new language. However when I go to data entry or to edit a dataset section form – I only see the names displayed in the default language. What is strange is that one of the section forms is actually working correctly (out of about 12!).

We are using version 2.8 of DHIS-2 and I have cleared system cache through the Database maintenance module and cleared my local cache to no avail.

Any tips, advise would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Wilson

HMIS advisor/MOH Rwanda

I've tried this on a different computer and it appears to work again! I'm not sure why Chrome on my laptop continues to show the same error. Sorry for the false alarm. I'll uninstall and re-install Chrome to see if that makes a difference.

Randy Wilson

···

Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:49 PM
To: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements in data entry

I’m not sure if others have had this issue, but in Rwanda we have some of our forms in both French and Kinyarwanda. We have translated all of the data elements and are using section forms. In theory, when we use section forms rather than custom forms, the data element names should change automatically when the database language changes.

When I change database languages and I go to the data element list I see the names displayed in the new language. However when I go to data entry or to edit a dataset section form – I only see the names displayed in the default language. What is strange is that one of the section forms is actually working correctly (out of about 12!).

We are using version 2.8 of DHIS-2 and I have cleared system cache through the Database maintenance module and cleared my local cache to no avail.

Randy Wilson
HMIS advisor/MOH Rwanda

Hi Randy,

you are right in your observation. Because of the offline data entry
function we store a copy of the entry forms locally in the web
browser's localstorage. These forms remain there until there is a
change in the form, which will trigger a new download of it. So it
will use the language you had set when opening data entry the first
place.

Unfortunately Chrome seems to not clear the localstorage when clearing
"cache" anymore. You can install a chrome extension that lets you
clear it easily though:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fekfnmjadklpmoednhfjphigbiglmafk

If this is a big matter we can change the way this works so that when
the user changes locale, it will compare with the current locale of
the offline forms and re-download it if necessary.

regards,

Lars

···

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Wilson,Randy <rwilson@msh.org> wrote:

I've tried this on a different computer and it appears to work again! I'm not sure why Chrome on my laptop continues to show the same error. Sorry for the false alarm. I'll uninstall and re-install Chrome to see if that makes a difference.

Randy Wilson
Subject: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements in data entry

Randy Wilson
HMIS advisor/MOH Rwanda

More help : ListHelp - Launchpad Help

Hi Lars,

Thanks for this clarification. It seems to me the trigger for updating the localstorage of this form data should be both: when a user changes his or her locale and when the forms are changed.

The utility you've suggested is very helpful. We should probably recommend its use to all Chrome users because clearing cache is a common issue we spend a lot of time on during training - and the built-in tools don't seem to work.

Randy

···

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 12:25 PM
To: Wilson,Randy
Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements in data entry

Hi Randy,

you are right in your observation. Because of the offline data entry function we store a copy of the entry forms locally in the web browser's localstorage. These forms remain there until there is a change in the form, which will trigger a new download of it. So it will use the language you had set when opening data entry the first place.

Unfortunately Chrome seems to not clear the localstorage when clearing "cache" anymore. You can install a chrome extension that lets you clear it easily though:

If this is a big matter we can change the way this works so that when the user changes locale, it will compare with the current locale of the offline forms and re-download it if necessary.

regards,

Lars

Randy Wilson
Subject: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements
in data entry

I'm not sure if others have had this issue, but in Rwanda we have some of our forms in both French and Kinyarwanda. We have translated all of the data elements and are using section forms. In theory, when we use section forms rather than custom forms, the data element names should change automatically when the database language changes.

When I change database languages and I go to the data element list I see the names displayed in the new language. However when I go to data entry or to edit a dataset section form - I only see the names displayed in the default language. What is strange is that one of the section forms is actually working correctly (out of about 12!).

Randy Wilson
HMIS advisor/MOH Rwanda

Hi Lars,

Thanks for this clarification. It seems to me the trigger for updating the localstorage of this form data should be both: when a user changes his or her locale and when the forms are changed.

OK. I think this makes sense, shouldn't be intrusive or a lot of work.

The utility you've suggested is very helpful. We should probably recommend its use to all Chrome users because clearing cache is a common issue we spend a lot of time on during training - and the built-in tools don't seem to work.

Yes. I think this is by design and not an error as such. But it looks
weird to me too.

···

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Wilson,Randy <rwilson@msh.org> wrote:

Randy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 12:25 PM
To: Wilson,Randy
Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements in data entry

Hi Randy,

you are right in your observation. Because of the offline data entry function we store a copy of the entry forms locally in the web browser's localstorage. These forms remain there until there is a change in the form, which will trigger a new download of it. So it will use the language you had set when opening data entry the first place.

Unfortunately Chrome seems to not clear the localstorage when clearing "cache" anymore. You can install a chrome extension that lets you clear it easily though:

If this is a big matter we can change the way this works so that when the user changes locale, it will compare with the current locale of the offline forms and re-download it if necessary.

regards,

Lars

Randy Wilson
Subject: [Dhis2-users] Problem displaying translation of dataelements
in data entry

I'm not sure if others have had this issue, but in Rwanda we have some of our forms in both French and Kinyarwanda. We have translated all of the data elements and are using section forms. In theory, when we use section forms rather than custom forms, the data element names should change automatically when the database language changes.

When I change database languages and I go to the data element list I see the names displayed in the new language. However when I go to data entry or to edit a dataset section form - I only see the names displayed in the default language. What is strange is that one of the section forms is actually working correctly (out of about 12!).

Randy Wilson
HMIS advisor/MOH Rwanda