Patient Identification using Fingerprints

Hi,

In a bid to simplify patient identification, we here in India are adding fingerprint information about the patient when getting registered. The idea in the Ministry’s technical support group is that we can have an incoming patient at the hospital, keep his/her finger on a scanner and he would automatically be identified and his summary printed-out alongwith his latest appointment date.

Such a project requires 1-n identification based on the patient’s fingerprint. I have been testing a few SDKs (Java, C++ and C#) and most of them seem to only allow 1-1 matching. Others, I have modified for 1-n identification take exponentially more time as the number of fingerprints are increasing (4 users = 41 secs; 6 users = 179 secs ). What is normally done is that the user puts a card/password and then the authentication software performs a 1-1 match on the given fingerprint with the one stored in the database. But what we want is a identification system, rather than an authentication system based on fingerprints.

I would like to get your ideas on how to solve this problem or if any implementation is already using such a system. If you know of any existing SDKs that can quickly do person identification based on fingerprints. Any comments would be appreciated.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA
Director R & D, HISP India
Health Information Systems Programme

My Tech Blog: http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com

You Live by CHOICE, Not by CHANCE

I just now discovered that libfprint is doing a good job as I can see from the fprint_demo application. For me, it was JNA that was slowing things down exponentially. Have to find another way to use that in Java or may be something else.

Your comments are still appreciated and other FOSS SDKs/libraries that you know of ??

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

2009/6/7 Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com

Hi,

In a bid to simplify patient identification, we here in India are adding fingerprint information about the patient when getting registered. The idea in the Ministry’s technical support group is that we can have an incoming patient at the hospital, keep his/her finger on a scanner and he would automatically be identified and his summary printed-out alongwith his latest appointment date.

Such a project requires 1-n identification based on the patient’s fingerprint. I have been testing a few SDKs (Java, C++ and C#) and most of them seem to only allow 1-1 matching. Others, I have modified for 1-n identification take exponentially more time as the number of fingerprints are increasing (4 users = 41 secs; 6 users = 179 secs ). What is normally done is that the user puts a card/password and then the authentication software performs a 1-1 match on the given fingerprint with the one stored in the database. But what we want is a identification system, rather than an authentication system based on fingerprints.

I would like to get your ideas on how to solve this problem or if any implementation is already using such a system. If you know of any existing SDKs that can quickly do person identification based on fingerprints. Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA