Out of memorry

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to solve. Currently DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module to generate reports which created by BIRT report designer. On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training class for users to practice entering data and generating reports. The class includes 40 users work at same time in the program.

Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users generate reports at the same time. The system suddenly become very slow and every user get the OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of the program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again when few users generate reports. This even affect to another users who doesn’t generate report but entering data in the class that time.

Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions opened but weren’t closed.
After meeting to find the reason, we don’t know about other reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were wrong. We are looking forward your suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and solutions to solve. May be change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution before April.

Please help us…

···

Thuy
HISP Vietnam
+84902079126
xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com
thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com

What parameters are you using for Tomcat when you start up?
What version of Tomcat and Java? Which OS?

Also, if you could include any logs for Tomcat for when the problems
started happening, this would be useful.

···

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Thuy Nguyen <thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to solve. Currently
DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module to generate reports which created
by BIRT report designer. On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training class
for users to practice entering data and generating reports. The class
includes 40 users work at same time in the program.
Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users generate
reports at the same time. The system suddenly become very slow and every
user get the OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of the
program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation
become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again when few users
generate reports. This even affect to another users who doesn't generate
report but entering data in the class that time.
Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions opened but
weren't closed.
After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about other reason except
reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were wrong. We are looking forward
your suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and solutions to
solve. May be change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or
someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution before
April.
Please help us...

--
--
Thuy
HISP Vietnam
+84902079126
xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Increasing memory for Java/Tomcat and the database is an option as Jason points out. Please check the archives for info on this.

Otherwise, report generation processes are run sequentially and shouldn’t really give memory problems. A workaround could be to use the “view report based on existing datasource” option when viewing the report (after the data has been generated once), that is, skipping the aggregation process and view the report based on what already exists in the database, should be less resource demanding.

Will investigate this further.

Lars

···

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Thuy Nguyen thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to solve. Currently DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module to generate reports which created by BIRT report designer. On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training class for users to practice entering data and generating reports. The class includes 40 users work at same time in the program.

Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users generate reports at the same time. The system suddenly become very slow and every user get the OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of the program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again when few users generate reports. This even affect to another users who doesn’t generate report but entering data in the class that time.

Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions opened but weren’t closed.
After meeting to find the reason, we don’t know about other reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were wrong. We are looking forward your suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and solutions to solve. May be change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution before April.

Please help us…

As Lars points out, there are a lot of messages on this archive
related to this issue.

Just a word of caution..I would doubt that it would be a problem with
Postgres, and would caution you if you start to try and optimize the
memory settings beyond what is in the default configuration file.
Tweaking memory settings in Postgres (if that is what you are using?)
can lead to decreased performance unless you are quite careful and
methodical. But, if you do have posgres logs it would help to see them
as well.

···

2009/3/20 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@gmail.com>:

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Thuy Nguyen <thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com> > wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to solve. Currently
DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module to generate reports which created
by BIRT report designer. On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training class
for users to practice entering data and generating reports. The class
Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users generate
reports at the same time. The system suddenly become very slow and every
user get the OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of the
program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation
become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again when few users
generate reports. This even affect to another users who doesn't generate
Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions opened but
weren't closed.
After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about other reason except
reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were wrong. We are looking forward
your suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and solutions to
solve. May be change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or
someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution before
April.
Please help us...

Increasing memory for Java/Tomcat and the database is an option as Jason
points out. Please check the archives for info on this.

Otherwise, report generation processes are run sequentially and shouldn't
really give memory problems. A workaround could be to use the "view report
based on existing datasource" option when viewing the report (after the data
has been generated once), that is, skipping the aggregation process and view
the report based on what already exists in the database, should be less
resource demanding.

Will investigate this further.

Lars

Tweaking memory settings in Postgres (if that is what you are using?)

can lead to decreased performance unless you are quite careful and

methodical. But, if you do have posgres logs it would help to see them

as well.

As for Postgres memory optimization I am only increasing the shared_buffers property in PostgreSQL\8.3\data\postgresql.conf from the inital 32MB to 256MB. This gave me eg. a 25 % time reduction in datavalue import.

We need more info.

Logs form postgres and tomcat.
Configuration files for tomcat.
Physical resources of you machine (RAM and CPU)
Operating System and FileSystem

I am not sure... but it seems that someone have discussed this here before.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

···

From my experience this is issued much probably by JVM/Tomcat.

Dear all,

Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users generate reports at the same time. The system suddenly become very slow and every user get the OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of the program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again when few users generate reports. This even affect to another users who doesn't generate report but entering data in the class that time.
Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions opened but weren't closed.
After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about other reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were wrong. We are looking forward your suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and solutions to solve. May be change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution before April.
Please help us...

--
--
Thuy
HISP Vietnam
+84902079126
xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com>
thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>

I have found 2 ways in which the Java Out-of-Memory Exception can be solved:

1.) On linux machines, we can start tomcat as a unix daemon as pointed out in this tutorial. Tomcat gets more priority, memory and can run more efficiently. Infact, it also helps performance by benchmarking and as pointed here: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101060/chapter/ch04.pdf

2.) On Windows machines, the JRE runs with the Client JVM which is optimized for quick start, but not for better memory/thread management as the server HotSpot VM. We should by default start tomcat with server VM. In my JavaEE experience, this does reduce a lot of OOM exceptions. If you just have the JRE installed then the server vm is not installed. You need the JDK and have to pass the -server parameter when starting tomcat. If you have the JRE only, then you can copy the server folder from a JDK installation, just like I am doing in the new installer for Windows.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA
Director R & D, HISP India
Health Information Systems Programme

My Tech Blog: http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com

You Live by CHOICE, Not by CHANCE

2009/3/20 Orvalho Joaquim Augusto orvaquim@gmail.com

We need more info.

I am not sure… but it seems that someone have discussed this here before.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com

thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

2.) On Windows machines, the JRE runs with the Client JVM which is optimized for quick start, but not for better memory/thread management as the server HotSpot VM. We should by default start tomcat with server VM. In my JavaEE experience, this does reduce a lot of OOM exceptions. If you just have the JRE installed then the server vm is not installed. You need the JDK and have to pass the -server parameter when starting tomcat. If you have the JRE only, then you can copy the server folder from a JDK installation, just like I am doing in the new installer for Windows.

This is interesting. Is this something that is done on the India server installations as well?

···

I don’t know if it was being done yet, but the installer that I have now built also puts the Server VM with the JRE and starts tomcat on the server vm… On our office linux server I have installed tomcat as a unix daemon.

BTW, can the installer code stay in the tools/installer folder on the bazaar repo or should it be in the local/in ??

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

2009/3/20 Lars Helge Øverland larshelge@gmail.com

This is interesting. Is this something that is done on the India server installations as well?

I don’t know if it was being done yet, but the installer that I have now built also puts the Server VM with the JRE and starts tomcat on the server vm… On our office linux server I have installed tomcat as a unix daemon.

OK. This should be considered for the sierra leone ubuntu setups as well.

BTW, can the installer code stay in the tools/installer folder on the bazaar repo or should it be in the local/in ??

If its general (can be reused for other countries) put it in tools, otherwise in local/in/tools

···

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all

This is log and config of our server tomcat.
Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

tomcatconf.zip (16 KB)

tomcatlog.zip (57.9 KB)

···

We need more info.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

Our server:

• CPU : xeon 2.13 Ghz
  • RAM : 2GB
  • JDK 6
  • Tomcat 6.0
  • WIndow server 2003

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

tomcatconf.zip (16 KB)

tomcatlog.zip (57.9 KB)

···

2009/3/23 Trí Trần Thanh tranthanhtri84@gmail.com

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

We need more info.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

Our server:

• CPU : xeon 2.13 Ghz
  • RAM : 2GB
  • JDK 6
  • Tomcat 6.0
  • WIndow server 2003

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

tomcatconf.zip (16 KB)

tomcatlog.zip (57.9 KB)

···

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

We need more info.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

Ok!

Indeed, there is no enough memory for JVM:

You did not provide the "Operating System" and "How much RAM you have". I am gessing that you are using Linux Ubuntu. If so check this very important file:
/etc/default/tomcat6

You must play with the line:
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx300M"

If not ubuntu, you must find somewhere.

If you have 2GB of RAM take 25% to 30% to JVM. And try to see what happens.

Is this machine dedicated to dhis2?

It may help if you use the last possible JDK. The JDK making guys claim that the from the update 10 of 1.6 there is less memory consuming that the previous versions [I do not know really].

Caveman

Trí Trần Thanh wrote:

···

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

2009/3/20 Orvalho Joaquim Augusto <orvaquim@gmail.com <mailto:orvaquim@gmail.com>>

We need more info.

>From my experience this is issued much probably by JVM/Tomcat.

I am not sure... but it seems that someone have discussed this here
    before.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to solve.
        Currently DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module to generate
        reports which created by BIRT report designer. On the March
        19th, 2009 there was a training class for users to practice
        entering data and generating reports. The class includes 40
        users work at same time in the program.
        Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users
        generate reports at the same time. The system suddenly become
        very slow and every user get the OutOfMemorry java exception
        when click in any button of the program. That time Tri has to
        restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation become better for 2
        minutes, and the problem appear again when few users generate
        reports. This even affect to another users who doesn't generate
        Tri has checked in database, there were many many transactions
        opened but weren't closed.
        After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about other
        reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were
        wrong. We are looking forward your suggestions and consult to
        find out the right reason and solutions to solve. May be change
        another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program or someway
        else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the right solution
        before April.
        Please help us...

-- --
        Thuy
        HISP Vietnam
        +84902079126
        <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com>>
        thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>
        <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com
        <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the diagnosis is the same actually.

You need to tune tomcat.

I have little experience with tomcat under windows [I prefer Linux] but anyway:
1. Stop Tomcat; Check with taskmgr if there is an tomcat instance running and stop it.

2. Under start->programs find configure tomcat. You will see a window where you can place the max memory pool; Start 512MB.

3. Remember Java needs memory and BIRT uses much RAM. So consider to use a 64bit SO and place more RAM on the machine (4GB) and give JVM 1GB.

Do this even if 2 solves your problems.

Good Luck
Caveman

Trí Trần Thanh wrote:

···

Our server:
  - CPU : xeon 2.13 Ghz
  - RAM : 2GB
  - JDK 6
  - Tomcat 6.0
  - WIndow server 2003

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

2009/3/23 Trí Trần Thanh <tranthanhtri84@gmail.com <mailto:tranthanhtri84@gmail.com>>

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
    HISP Viet Nam
    +84903670967

2009/3/20 Orvalho Joaquim Augusto <orvaquim@gmail.com
    <mailto:orvaquim@gmail.com>>

We need more info.

I am not sure... but it seems that someone have discussed this
        here before.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to
            solve. Currently DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report module
            to generate reports which created by BIRT report designer.
            On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training class for users
            to practice entering data and generating reports. The class
            Entering data values was fine. But when there are many users
            generate reports at the same time. The system suddenly
            become very slow and every user get the OutOfMemorry java
            exception when click in any button of the program. That time
            Tri has to restart the tomcat of server, the sistuation
            become better for 2 minutes, and the problem appear again
            when few users generate reports. This even affect to another
            users who doesn't generate report but entering data in the
            class that time.
            Tri has checked in database, there were many many
            transactions opened but weren't closed.
            After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about other
            reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May be we were
            wrong. We are looking forward your suggestions and consult
            to find out the right reason and solutions to solve. May be
            change another tool instead of BIRT, or correct the program
            or someway else. Dr. Trung requested us have to find the
            right solution before April.
            Please help us...

-- --
            Thuy
            HISP Vietnam
            +84902079126
            <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com>>
            <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>
            <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com
            <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attaching your conf folder is murderous!! It contains passwords, privileges to tomcat… may be it isn’t an online server and the tomcat manager app password isn’t the end-of-the-world!! But this is a good lesson for everyone that we can’t give passwords away on mailing lists, IRC or other places where we lots of eyeballs!

This list is being archived!!! (:-o) ==> https://lists.launchpad.net/dhis2-devs/

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

We need more info.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

Thanks very much for pointing that out, Saptarshi. Tri, please change your password immediately (and don’t post it on this list). Secondly, please all stop sending to dhis-dev@hisp.info.

Knut

···

2009/3/23 Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com

Attaching your conf folder is murderous!! It contains passwords, privileges to tomcat… may be it isn’t an online server and the tomcat manager app password isn’t the end-of-the-world!! But this is a good lesson for everyone that we can’t give passwords away on mailing lists, IRC or other places where we lots of eyeballs!

This list is being archived!!! (:-o) ==> https://lists.launchpad.net/dhis2-devs/

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
HISP Viet Nam
+84903670967

We need more info.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

Please help us…

Thuy

HISP Vietnam

+84902079126

Cheers,
Knut Staring

Thanks for the password advice and I am so sorry if I did not notice that before.

Back to PermGen space error I suggest to try these things too:
http://www.freshblurbs.com/explaining-java-lang-outofmemoryerror-permgen-space

Good luck
Caveman

Knut Staring wrote:

···

Thanks very much for pointing that out, Saptarshi. Tri, please change your password immediately (and don't post it on this list). Secondly, please all stop sending to dhis-dev@hisp.info <mailto:dhis-dev@hisp.info>.

Knut

2009/3/23 Saptarshi Purkayastha <sunbiz@gmail.com <mailto:sunbiz@gmail.com>>

Attaching your conf folder is murderous!! It contains passwords,
    privileges to tomcat... may be it isn't an online server and the
    tomcat manager app password isn't the end-of-the-world!! But this is
    a good lesson for everyone that we can't give passwords away on
    mailing lists, IRC or other places where we lots of eyeballs!

This list is being archived!!!! (:-o) ==>
    Messages by thread : Mailing list archive : dhis2-devs team in Launchpad

---

Regards,
    Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

2009/3/23 Trí Trần Thanh <tranthanhtri84@gmail.com
    <mailto:tranthanhtri84@gmail.com>>

Hi all

Our server

Tran Thanh Tri
        HISP Viet Nam
        +84903670967

2009/3/20 Orvalho Joaquim Augusto <orvaquim@gmail.com
        <mailto:orvaquim@gmail.com>>

We need more info.

I am not sure... but it seems that someone have discussed
            this here before.

Caveman

Thuy Nguyen wrote:

Dear all,

We HISP Vietnam team meet a problem and need solution to
                solve. Currently DHIS2 of HISP Vietnam using report
                module to generate reports which created by BIRT report
                designer. On the March 19th, 2009 there was a training
                class for users to practice entering data and generating
                reports. The class includes 40 users work at same time
                in the program.
                Entering data values was fine. But when there are many
                users generate reports at the same time. The system
                suddenly become very slow and every user get the
                OutOfMemorry java exception when click in any button of
                the program. That time Tri has to restart the tomcat of
                server, the sistuation become better for 2 minutes, and
                the problem appear again when few users generate
                reports. This even affect to another users who doesn't
                generate report but entering data in the class that time.
                Tri has checked in database, there were many many
                transactions opened but weren't closed.
                After meeting to find the reason, we don't know about
                other reason except reports were designed by BIRT. May
                be we were wrong. We are looking forward your
                suggestions and consult to find out the right reason and
                solutions to solve. May be change another tool instead
                of BIRT, or correct the program or someway else. Dr.
                Trung requested us have to find the right solution
                before April.
                Please help us...

-- --
                Thuy
                HISP Vietnam
                +84902079126
                <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com
                <mailto:xuan_thuy_vn@yahoo.com>>
                <mailto:thuy.hispvietnam@gmail.com>