More Useful Information in the Commit Messages

I have been looking at the commit messages that developers have added and looking at them in the long-term, they will become useless because we lack detail. I suggest that we should have some standard for commit messages.

My suggested format:

: [author] - [bug fix] -

[author], [bug fix] - is optional… [author] should be included if you are applying a patch or committing code that someone else has written

I also suggest that we should add lp:id when fixing any bug filed under our project bug list. This automatically links the bazaar commits with launchpad bug ids.

Please comment if you have some other formats and we all need to follow that commit msg format.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA
Director R & D, HISP India
Health Information Systems Programme

My Tech Blog: http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com

You Live by CHOICE, Not by CHANCE

Sounds a like a good convention to me.

Lars

···

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com wrote:

I have been looking at the commit messages that developers have added and looking at them in the long-term, they will become useless because we lack detail. I suggest that we should have some standard for commit messages.

My suggested format:

[author], [bug fix] - is optional… [author] should be included if you are applying a patch or committing code that someone else has written

I also suggest that we should add lp:id when fixing any bug filed under our project bug list. This automatically links the bazaar commits with launchpad bug ids.

Please comment if you have some other formats and we all need to follow that commit msg format.

My suggested format:

Looks as if bug # will result in a link to the launchpad bug page.