Making ‘feature type’ that is set to ‘point’ mandatory

Hi all,

We use various Capture programs (event without registration) that all have the ‘feature type’ set to ‘point’. These coordinates are used to populate the maps generated through the use of the capture program.

We do, however, encounter users that are frequently not capturing the coordinates and I was wondering if there is any way to make this a mandatory field?

Thanks in advance,

Andre

1 Like

Hi @ACoetzer1988 my current understanding is that there is not (in Android nor Web) a way to mandate the GPS points. This (in addition to lack of precision as a way to add context/set mandates to the quality of the GPS capture in android) continues to be a struggle for us.

One workaround we have is to add a DataElement instead with GPS point format, which still works well in Maps and can be set to mandatory. Perhaps that could work for you?

2 Likes

btw I see @Karoline agrees with you: DHIS 2 Software - Issues - Jira

1 Like

Hi @Matthew_Boddie

Thanks for the feedback and link to the JIRA issue. I have commented this post there for future reference.

Although a possible solution, adding a Data Element with GPS point format will be less than ideal as it adds yet another field to complete since each user will still need to complete the feature type information. As some of the capture programs are already input heavy, we want to avoid adding more fields that users need to complete. Hopefully making the feature type mandatory will be available in the future as that will be a simple solve. :slight_smile:

Thanks once again,

Andre

makes sense—can you not remove the feature type though if you have the GPS DE?

Hi @Matthew_Boddie

You are 100% correct. Let’s just say that was a complete oversight from my side. :smiley:

That would work in theory. Our problem is, however, that we already have hundreds of thousand records collected where the feature type is mapping the location. So we wont be able to change over to a new location capture approach without losing those plotted locations.

Or can you foresee a way to “change over” without impacting visualized data?

1 Like

@ACoetzer1988 nothing immediately awesome, although I could envision:

1. Simply pulling event data (in its entirety) and copying point lat/long into the de value with some fairly straightforward script and re-importing them
  2. making use of the fact that maps very easily allows for “layers” to be added on top of one another. Simply use the “legacy” data with the point and “current” data with the GPS DE, and they should be able to exist on the same map with the same style as long as you set it up that way.

Hi @Matthew_Boddie

I think trying the map layers would be the most obvious solution for the time being and I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Kind regards,

Andre

1 Like