Integration between DHIS2 TB/L Tracker and GeneXpert Machine: A Case of National TB/Leprosy Programme (NTLP) in Tanzania

By @Lilian_Mkonyi, @josephatjulius, @bennett, @vincentminde, et al

Greetings! My name is Henry Kalisti from Tanzania, I am an academic and Senior System Analyst at the University of Dar es Salam (UDSM). Through the UDSM DHIS2 Lab, I have consulted widely in the area of Information Systems, including implementation of government systems in the Health, Social Welfare and Agricultural Sector, using the DHIS2.

I would like to invite you to my presentation during the Annual Conference session named Country System Integrations planned on Tuesday 13 June, 15:30-17:00 Oslo time zone. You can go through overview of my presentation below.

Overview
Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease. About quarter of the world’s population is infected whereby 5–10% of people infected with TB develop TB disease. Good news is that TB is preventable and curable. Usually treated with antibiotics. However, it can be fatal without treatment. TB Detection is done through various approaches including using GeneXpert Machines to detect the mycobacterium tuberculosis. GeneXpert is a rapid molecular test for detection of TB simultaneously detects resistance to the antibiotic rifampicin all within two hours.

Delivery of accurate, timely, and complete diagnostic and logistics data from laboratory machines is still problematic. A number of GeneXpert machines are installed in designated facilities and are used to process TB samples from all health facilities in the country. However, GeneXpert machines run offline with limited access to the diagnostic data and the management of the devices. Health workers are forced to manually transfer data from GeneXpert machines to electronic case based systems, for example a case of DHIS2-ETL in Tanzania. Leading to data quality problems such as receiving incomplete, inaccurate and usually late data for patient management.

Implementation Method
Exploring an alternative approach to providing GeneXpert connectivity and data management within Tanzania, a participatory design approach was employed by engaging staff from National Institute of Medical Research Mbeya Medical Research Center (NIMR - MMRC) under TIFA Project, Laboratory staffs and the Ministry of Health National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP). 10 Color Module GeneXpert Machine was then used to design and implement the linkage with DHIS2.

Achievement and Expected Outcome
General purpose mediator for transferring diagnostic and logistics data from GeneXpert to DHIS2 has been implemented. This create an opportunity to engage more stakeholders to scale up and connect all geneXpert machines for:

• Strengthening TB programmes M&E through accurate, timely, and complete diagnostic and logistics data.
  • Maintenance of GeneXpert machines through timely interventions.

Acknowledgment
We would to extend sincere appreciation for the cooperation provided by the University of Dar es Salaam DHIS2 Lab team, National Institute of Medical Research Mbeya Medical Research Center (NIMR - MMRC) under TIFA Project, Laboratory staffs and the Ministry of Health National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP).

This project is made possible by the support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents are the sole responsibility of NIMR-MMRC and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

4 Likes