Indicator - Maximum number of data elements in the expression

Dear All,
Is there a maximum number of data elements to be included in the Numerator/Denominator expression?

If so, is it possible to include another indicator in the indicator calculation expression?

Regards,

···

Peter Dotto Lubambi,

Mobile: +255 786 087 087

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I believe the limit to the number of expressions which are included in an indicator is that of the underlying database field which stores the expression, which should be very large. I think in practice, you may reach a limit where the indicator may be too complex to calculate quickly enough. We have created indicators with many hundreds of data elements, and while they do work, it can be a bit slow.

You may also encounter a limit in the user interface when defining the indicators, but if you are creating one with many dozens or hundreds of expression elements, you are probably not going to want to use the UI anyway, and would script the creation of the indicator.

While not supported through the user interface, adding together indicators will work it seems.

Would be interested to hear what your experience is if you create a “large” indicator, or one which consists of multiple indicator components.

Best regards,

Jason

···

Jason P. Pickering
email: jason.p.pickering@gmail.com
tel:+46764147049

Hi Jason,
My indicator expression consist a total of 220 data elements (1 Positive*11 age bands 2 Sex10 Testing points ), Alternative is, since I have created POS Male and POS Female so adding these two indicators would serve the purpose.

Regards,

···

Peter Dotto Lubambi,

Hi Jason,

Thanks, your hint solved a problem for us too where we had a large number of data elements needing to be included in denominators of indicators – now we can make indicators to insert into other indicators. We are working in 2.26 and hoping this will not break in the newer versions when we update.

Regards

Jane

···

Hi Jason,

My indicator expression consist a total of 220 data elements (1 Positive*11 age bands 2 Sex10 Testing points ), Alternative is, since I have created POS Male and POS Female so adding these two indicators would serve the purpose.

Regards,

Peter Dotto Lubambi,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Peter,

I believe the limit to the number of expressions which are included in an indicator is that of the underlying database field which stores the expression, which should be very large. I think in practice, you may reach a limit where the indicator may be too complex to calculate quickly enough. We have created indicators with many hundreds of data elements, and while they do work, it can be a bit slow.

You may also encounter a limit in the user interface when defining the indicators, but if you are creating one with many dozens or hundreds of expression elements, you are probably not going to want to use the UI anyway, and would script the creation of the indicator.

While not supported through the user interface, adding together indicators will work it seems.

Would be interested to hear what your experience is if you create a “large” indicator, or one which consists of multiple indicator components.

Best regards,

Jason

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:11 AM Peter D Lubambi plubambi@gmail.com wrote:

Dear All,

Is there a maximum number of data elements to be included in the Numerator/Denominator expression?

If so, is it possible to include another indicator in the indicator calculation expression?

Regards,

Peter Dotto Lubambi,

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Jason P. Pickering

@ Peter: This sounds quite similar to what we have done in the PEPFAR system as well, except we have about 1400 data element + category option combos in one of the bigger indicators. It was not of course possible to define these through the user interface, but worked fine through the API.

@Jane : Good to hear that it works for you. We’ll be sure to include a regression test for this to be sure this continues to be “supported”.

Regards,

Jason

···

Jason P. Pickering

I have run into this same issue while adding data elements from different entry point, at some point, the expression stops validating and is marked as not correct when its correct. How can I use a script to sum up indicators? An example script will be very helpful. Thank You.

1 Like