Guidance on Real-time Monitoring of Vaccination Campaigns

The HISP Centre at the University of Oslo is pleased to announce the publication of detailed guidance on DHIS2 for Vaccination Campaigns, which includes resources and guidance implementing DHIS2 for planning, designing, implementing, and real-time monitoring (RTM) of immunization campaigns.

Over the past 3 years – with many of your direct inputs and guidance – we have learned from a number of countries & implementing partners on the use of DHIS2 to support Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIAs) - including but not limited to national scale campaigns in countries like Uganda & Bangladesh. These learnings were amplified by the experiences of the 50+ countries who have integrated routine immunization programme data into their national DHIS2 systems, and the 42 countries who used DHIS2 as part of their COVID-19 vaccine delivery plans, with many implementing campaign-style delivery and other novel distribution methods. This document is intended to be agile and responsive to emerging use cases & field learnings, with the intentions that we can continue to expand and edit over time – particularly as new DHIS2 functionalities become available, such as the RapidPro integration efforts and improved support for external mapping layers.

The document is structured as follows to target slightly different audiences depending on those who design, implement and use the DHIS2 toolkit:

• Use chapter - Overview of the DHIS2 packages/apps/tools available and how they can be used in Pre-Campaign (planning), During campaign (implementation) & Post-campaign (Evaluation) with real-world use cases incorporated throughout

• Audience: immunization programmes, partners, stakeholders, & general interest
  • Design chapter - This chapter focuses on configuration of DHIS2 to meet the needs of RTM

• Audience: DHIS2 designers/implementers/configurers
  • Implement chapter - Here we focus on the non-configuration aspects of a campaign implementation such as performance testing, user management, etc. based on real lessons learned from implementations.

• Audience: DHIS2 implementers and country stakeholders responsible for developing the RTM plan.
7 Likes

We are supporting MoH in the use of DHIS2 for reporting and monitoring of mass drug administration campaigns for neglected tropical diseases. There are so many learnings over use cases here that we would love to explore (geoenabled micro-planning, post-campaign evaluations, triangulation dashboards etc). What may be a good next step or person to approach to get info to enable us to evaluate their usefulness for this context/ start using if relevant?

Hi Laura! thank you for reaching out on this.
I would suggest checking out the available documentations and webinars on the topic first:

Secondly, I think it would be great to hear more about your use cases and needs - we are always happy to have a chat and hear more about it. Feel free send me an email!

On a side note, just to let you know that we are also working with the WHO on some NTD modules that will be available during the second half of the year!

Thanks for the presentation and feedback here, will certainly look into those webinars and documentation you signposted. Yes, was aware your group was working with WHO on the NTD modules, I suspect there would be interest from FMoH in Nigeria (one of the countries using MDA reporting through DHIS2) to be an early adopter of the WHO MDA reporting module. I don’t have your email address, but it would be great to chat a little more about use of DHIS2 in the NTD context. My email is lsenyonjo@sightsavers.org. Thanks again Laura

Hi Laura,

my email il vittoria@dhis2.org - looking forward to hearing more from you!