[GSoC 2014] Questions regarding Android and HTML5 features

Hello

Congrats to DHIS on being selected as a mentor organization.

I am Bhargav Golla, a graduate student in Computer Science at Clemson University, US. I am an avid mobile and web app developer. I worked on Phonegap apps during GSoC 2012 and GSoC 2013 with Apache Software Foundation and have developed many Windows Phone apps. The native android app I developed for Exotel (a startup in cloud telephony in India) is still being actively used by Exotel’s clientele of over 1000 firms. My Github account will provide much more details about my developer expertise. I am particularly interested in Android and HTML5 features ideas at DHIS.

I have a few questions regarding the Android and HTML5 features idea.

1. I have observed from DHIS website that there is Mobile solution already available (http://www.dhis2.org/mobile). What other features are required in this idea?
  2. Are we considering developing a native android application instead of the web application?
    I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to work with DHIS.

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Github | LinkedIN | Website

Hello

I hope my mail hasn’t missed anyone’s attention. I would be very much obliged if someone could provide their feedback regarding these questions.

Thanks

···

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Bhargav Golla bhargav.golla@gmail.com wrote:

Hello

I am Bhargav Golla, a graduate student in Computer Science at Clemson University, US. I am an avid mobile and web app developer. I worked on Phonegap apps during GSoC 2012 and GSoC 2013 with Apache Software Foundation and have developed many Windows Phone apps. The native android app I developed for Exotel (a startup in cloud telephony in India) is still being actively used by Exotel’s clientele of over 1000 firms. My Github account will provide much more details about my developer expertise. I am particularly interested in Android and HTML5 features ideas at DHIS.

1. I have observed from DHIS website that there is Mobile solution already available (http://www.dhis2.org/mobile). What other features are required in this idea?
  2. Are we considering developing a native android application instead of the web application?
    I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to work with DHIS.

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hi Bhargav,

Didnt miss it, just wanted to gather a few more students before replying :slight_smile:

Please look at the other email to which I just replied. It has some example apps that have been attempted. Some are rudimentary, but those were built in 3 weeks. You’ve got 3 months!

DHIS2 has a number of features that still do not have a mobile interface.
The DHIS 2 dashboard is one such place… so a mobile dashboard will be useful. A messaging (DHIS2 messages) mobile app will be useful. Also an app that can share and comment on interpretations will be useful. You can also come up with your own suggestions.

Do read the other emails, to see what you can do till the GSoC application process starts.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

On 28 February 2014 19:16, Bhargav Golla bhargav.golla@gmail.com wrote:

Hello

I hope my mail hasn’t missed anyone’s attention. I would be very much obliged if someone could provide their feedback regarding these questions.

Thanks

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Bhargav Golla bhargav.golla@gmail.com wrote:

Hello

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hello team,
It is a good idea to have more DHIS 2 features available on mobile. I am working with 2 students on mainly the dashboard and customize report for DHIS 2. We need to finalize the interfaces and we were planning to start implementation in two weeks.

How can we join the team?

Germine

···

Regards,

Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

On 28 February 2014 19:16, Bhargav Golla
bhargav.golla@gmail.com wrote:

Hello

Thanks

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Bhargav Golla

Hello

1. I have observed from DHIS website that there is Mobile solution already available (http://www.dhis2.org/mobile ). What other features are required in this idea?

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hi Germine,

Sharing requirements and user-interface mockups will be helpful to work in teams.

If your work is going to be open-source, any GSoC student can work with your codebase.

The rule for GSoC is that the student should be doing independent work, such that the student’s code can be verified to be their own.

The GSoC roadmap is 3-months and if you are looking to start implementation in 2 weeks, it will be difficult to expect that from GSoC work.

The GSoC student will be able to use your work and build better solutions based on your feedback.

This is our goal with student participation, such that they become better community players.

You may also ask your 2 students to apply to the GSoC programme. We cant guarantee slots, as we expect it to be highly competitive.

You may want to create blueprints in launchpad for a unit of work related to the project.

If you already have a project tracker (like github, JIRA etc.), we can also use that.

···

Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

On 28 February 2014 19:52, Seide, Germine GSeide@futuresgroup.com wrote:

Hello team,
It is a good idea to have more DHIS 2 features available on mobile. I am working with 2 students on mainly the dashboard and customize report for DHIS 2. We need to finalize the interfaces and we were planning to start implementation in two weeks.

Germine

Le 28 févr. 2014 à 08:56, Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com a écrit :

Hi Bhargav,

Didnt miss it, just wanted to gather a few more students before replying :slight_smile:

Please look at the other email to which I just replied. It has some example apps that have been attempted. Some are rudimentary, but those were built in 3 weeks. You’ve got 3 months!

The DHIS 2 dashboard is one such place… so a mobile dashboard will be useful. A messaging (DHIS2 messages) mobile app will be useful. Also an app that can share and comment on interpretations will be useful. You can also come up with your own suggestions.

Do read the other emails, to see what you can do till the GSoC application process starts.

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Regards,

Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

Hello

Thanks

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hello

1. I have observed from DHIS website that there is Mobile solution already available (http://www.dhis2.org/mobile ). What other features are required in this idea?

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hello,
Thank you for your advice. I will meet with the students and Tomorrow I will make the mockup available for the Dev team.

Germine.

···

Regards,

Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

On 28 February 2014 19:52, Seide, Germine
GSeide@futuresgroup.com wrote:

Hello team,

Germine

Le 28 févr. 2014 à 08:56, Saptarshi Purkayastha sunbiz@gmail.com a écrit :

Hi Bhargav,

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Regards,

Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

Hello

Thanks

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.

Hello

Regards

Bhargav Golla

Developer. Freelancer.