Formulas and connections between DataElements and Indicators

Hi Jose

Copying to devs list as there may be greater wisdom there :slight_smile:

I think your approach can work … ie store your historical scores as dataelement.

Regarding regenerating the formula, again I think you are right and will have to resort to a database function as I can’t think of an easy workaround through the application and you really don’t want to do these manually.

Though I start to think that if you go down this route perhaps the indicator becomes redundant. You will have your formula as stored proc in database and can probably use that to populate your “score” dataelement directly.

Bob

···

On 14 July 2013 12:15, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

first at all, maybe I should send this email to the dev user list, if so, sorry about that and please feel free to resend it.

I am dealing with several forms in DHIS2 with all its DE of the “trueOnly” type value. For each form, one final score is calculated depending on the number of questions answered by the users and one weight associated for each question. Of course, we have defined an indicator to calculate this value. But, what about when the number of questions (or the different weights) change along the time (so the formula needs to be redefined) and we still need to maintain the historical score of the “old” formulas?

We were thinking about the possibility of creating a data element for each form to store the historical scores. Does it make sense? If so, the big challenge will be the connection of the indicator (when its value is calculated) with the Data Element. Some ideas about how could I deal with this? Create a trigger inside the database (with an ‘on completion’ event)?

Best regards

Jose

Thanks Bob!

You are right in the sense that the indicator becomes redundant, but I think we will still need it because we can train the end-users in the use of formulas and indicators inside DHIS2, but stored procedures is quite hard if they don’t have much technical skills. So the idea I think is to define a function in plpgsql to make a copy of the value of the indicator into the dataelement (knowing the period and source of course) linking the function to a trigger. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I don’t have much experience using triggers.

Also, when you introduce an indicator into a dataset, when does the indicator update its value? (when you click in the complete button of the dataentry maybe?) and which table stores the value of the indicator? (attributevalue?)

Thanks

Jose

···

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose

I think your approach can work … ie store your historical scores as dataelement.

Regarding regenerating the formula, again I think you are right and will have to resort to a database function as I can’t think of an easy workaround through the application and you really don’t want to do these manually.

Though I start to think that if you go down this route perhaps the indicator becomes redundant. You will have your formula as stored proc in database and can probably use that to populate your “score” dataelement directly.

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

first at all, maybe I should send this email to the dev user list, if so, sorry about that and please feel free to resend it.

I am dealing with several forms in DHIS2 with all its DE of the “trueOnly” type value. For each form, one final score is calculated depending on the number of questions answered by the users and one weight associated for each question. Of course, we have defined an indicator to calculate this value. But, what about when the number of questions (or the different weights) change along the time (so the formula needs to be redefined) and we still need to maintain the historical score of the “old” formulas?

We were thinking about the possibility of creating a data element for each form to store the historical scores. Does it make sense? If so, the big challenge will be the connection of the indicator (when its value is calculated) with the Data Element. Some ideas about how could I deal with this? Create a trigger inside the database (with an ‘on completion’ event)?

Best regards

Jose

Hi Jose

···

On 14 July 2013 20:40, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Bob!

You are right in the sense that the indicator becomes redundant, but I think we will still need it because we can train the end-users in the use of formulas and indicators inside DHIS2, but stored procedures is quite hard if they don’t have much technical skills. So the idea I think is to define a function in plpgsql to make a copy of the value of the indicator into the dataelement (knowinI don-g the period and source of course) linking the function to a trigger. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I don’t have much experience using triggers.

I don’t think storing the value of the indicator is the main issue. In fact indicator values are not generally stored, except as a result of aggregation into the datamart. And with the newer analytics I don’t think the value is necessarily stored at all. They are calculated on the fly (Lars will know better).

My understanding of your problem is that the indicator formula itself would need to be reconstructed because you might change the number of dataelements in the dataset which contribute to it’s sum. So I thought that what your trigger function would be doing is to simply sum the number of true data values in the dataset and use that to populate the dataelement.

I agree this is not something you would expect users to do, but I guess you would write the trigger function in such a way that it would dynamically calculate the sum so its inner workings would be hidden from users.

Caveat: I am also not a postgres trigger expert but I am reasonably sure it is doable. Perhaps you could trigger it on the data completeness update? Jason might have some ideas.

If the trigger is intimidating you might also execute the function as a scheduled cron job but then you would be facing delays before the system reacts to the new data. I think I would investigate the trigger approach.

Bob

Also, when you introduce an indicator into a dataset, when does the indicator update its value? (when you click in the complete button of the dataentry maybe?) and which table stores the value of the indicator? (attributevalue?)

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Hi Jose,
I do not understand exactly what you are trying to do. It sounds a bit tricky, but if I understand correctly, you would like to somehow preserve the original state of your indicator, in spite of the fact that you may want to change it at a later point in time. I think this is particularly difficult to do. Creating a table of inserted values is fairly simple using a function similar to the one below. This SP will insert records into a separate table called "pricate.completeddatasetregistration_new_records, whenever a record is inserted into the “completeddatasetregistration” table. This is a pretty typical approach to create an audit table. I am guessing that you could create an audit table of your indicators, and then create a separate function to prune out all values except the first one (which would know through a time stamp). However, the problem with this approach is, you may not really know if this value is the “final” value or not; the data might change, and in this case, the indicator value would need to change (but not because of a change to the indicator formula).

Sounds pretty complex to me. How do you know when the value is finalized and will never be changed again?

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

Here is the SP which inserts the records into another table.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION completedatasetregistration_new()

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

INSERT INTO private.completedatasetregistration_new_records(datasetid, periodid,sourceid,

date, storedby)

VALUES (new.datasetid, new.periodid,new.sourceid,

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE

COST 100;

ALTER FUNCTION completedatasetregistration_new()

OWNER TO postgres;

Here is the trigger function attached to the “completeddatasetregistration” table…only after an insert.

CREATE TRIGGER inserts_completedatasetregistration

AFTER INSERT

ON completedatasetregistration

FOR EACH ROW

EXECUTE PROCEDURE completedatasetregistration_new();

···

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Bob!

You are right in the sense that the indicator becomes redundant, but I think we will still need it because we can train the end-users in the use of formulas and indicators inside DHIS2, but stored procedures is quite hard if they don’t have much technical skills. So the idea I think is to define a function in plpgsql to make a copy of the value of the indicator into the dataelement (knowing the period and source of course) linking the function to a trigger. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I don’t have much experience using triggers.

Thanks

Jose

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Bob, I get your point, but the tricky part is that the final score is not calculated as a sum of the answers of the dataset, because also each question (I mean each “trueOnly” DE) has associated a weight, so the final score is = W1Q1 + W2Q2 + … Wn*Qn. So in the future not only the number of questions could change (that will be slightly easier to deal with, as you could define a generic SP no matter the number of questions the dataset contain), but also the weights could change and there is no chance to generalize the formula. So that was my reason to try to define one indicator (with a formula defined by the local DHIS users), copy the indicator value into a dataelement, as the formula could change in the future but still we need to maintain the old values of the scores.

Jason, we don’t know if the value is finalized but it is not really important. What we’d like to do is to let the users to know the score of one specific period of time no matter which formula is used in the present. But yes, maybe one trigger on the completedatasetregistration would make part of the job. Many thanks for the code, I will try to follow and understand it :slight_smile:

···

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,
I do not understand exactly what you are trying to do. It sounds a bit tricky, but if I understand correctly, you would like to somehow preserve the original state of your indicator, in spite of the fact that you may want to change it at a later point in time. I think this is particularly difficult to do. Creating a table of inserted values is fairly simple using a function similar to the one below. This SP will insert records into a separate table called "pricate.completeddatasetregistration_new_records, whenever a record is inserted into the “completeddatasetregistration” table. This is a pretty typical approach to create an audit table. I am guessing that you could create an audit table of your indicators, and then create a separate function to prune out all values except the first one (which would know through a time stamp). However, the problem with this approach is, you may not really know if this value is the “final” value or not; the data might change, and in this case, the indicator value would need to change (but not because of a change to the indicator formula).

Sounds pretty complex to me. How do you know when the value is finalized and will never be changed again?

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

INSERT INTO private.completedatasetregistration_new_records(datasetid, periodid,sourceid,

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

Here is the trigger function attached to the “completeddatasetregistration” table…only after an insert.

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Hi Jose,
The completeddatasetgregistration object is not really important in this case (well it might be, but not sure). The point I was trying to make was the use of triggers when a value is inserted into a table. I have not started to pick apart the analytics stuff yet to even know whether or not the values actually exist there but I suppose you could use the datamart to get the value, and then create an auditing mechanism to keep track of all values. The problem with the auditing tables is they typically tend to be really huge, so I am sure the procedure would need to be significantly different than what I have illustrated, but the approach might be worth attempting. Probably not really challenging from a code standpoint, but making sense of what comes out of the SP, and presenting it back to the users in a digestible format might be a big challenge.

Regards,

Jason

···

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Bob, I get your point, but the tricky part is that the final score is not calculated as a sum of the answers of the dataset, because also each question (I mean each “trueOnly” DE) has associated a weight, so the final score is = W1Q1 + W2Q2 + … Wn*Qn. So in the future not only the number of questions could change (that will be slightly easier to deal with, as you could define a generic SP no matter the number of questions the dataset contain), but also the weights could change and there is no chance to generalize the formula. So that was my reason to try to define one indicator (with a formula defined by the local DHIS users), copy the indicator value into a dataelement, as the formula could change in the future but still we need to maintain the old values of the scores.

Jason, we don’t know if the value is finalized but it is not really important. What we’d like to do is to let the users to know the score of one specific period of time no matter which formula is used in the present. But yes, maybe one trigger on the completedatasetregistration would make part of the job. Many thanks for the code, I will try to follow and understand it :slight_smile:

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Many thanks Jason,

we plan to present the information to the users as dataelements associated to a period, Org. unit, and forms. So, we have different forms with a questionnaire and for each one we create also a dataelement, not editable for the users, to store the value of the indicator. This was the initial plan. So, when the indicator (score) is calculated we want to “copy” that value inside the that dataelement (using a trigger in the database).

The ideal solution would be to generate all this process automatically when the user completes the questionnaire, but I think that it is not possible right? So, in my understanding the options are:

1. As you said before, run the datamart, and with a trigger get the value of the indicator already stored in the database, and copying to our dataelement.

and maybe…??

1. Create a script that could use the analytic API to get the current value of the score. Could be also a valid approach?

Maybe I am missing something (I am not an expert in this area of DHIS2), Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jose

···

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,
The completeddatasetgregistration object is not really important in this case (well it might be, but not sure). The point I was trying to make was the use of triggers when a value is inserted into a table. I have not started to pick apart the analytics stuff yet to even know whether or not the values actually exist there but I suppose you could use the datamart to get the value, and then create an auditing mechanism to keep track of all values. The problem with the auditing tables is they typically tend to be really huge, so I am sure the procedure would need to be significantly different than what I have illustrated, but the approach might be worth attempting. Probably not really challenging from a code standpoint, but making sense of what comes out of the SP, and presenting it back to the users in a digestible format might be a big challenge.

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Hi Jose,

Just a thought - hopefully the developers can chime in on whether this is a good (or terrible) idea:

Since you have quite specific needs, I suppose you could build your own Javascript app (see the new App framework, chapter 27 in the manual) to make use of the WebAPI (chapter 25) and create your own dataentry module that does all the things you need, including making use of the Analytics capabilities.

Knut

···

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Many thanks Jason,

we plan to present the information to the users as dataelements associated to a period, Org. unit, and forms. So, we have different forms with a questionnaire and for each one we create also a dataelement, not editable for the users, to store the value of the indicator. This was the initial plan. So, when the indicator (score) is calculated we want to “copy” that value inside the that dataelement (using a trigger in the database).

The ideal solution would be to generate all this process automatically when the user completes the questionnaire, but I think that it is not possible right? So, in my understanding the options are:

1. As you said before, run the datamart, and with a trigger get the value of the indicator already stored in the database, and copying to our dataelement.

and maybe…??

1. Create a script that could use the analytic API to get the current value of the score. Could be also a valid approach?

Maybe I am missing something (I am not an expert in this area of DHIS2), Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jose

Knut Staring

Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

+4791880522

http://dhis2.org

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Hi Jose,

There are many ways to skin a cat, and as Knut says, creating an “App” is one way to possibly achieve this. I personally have no idea how to do this, but could imagine it would be possible in some way.

Maybe Lars or the other devs can comment, but I am thinking the easiest way would be to somehow calculate your indicator when the “Complete” button is pressed, and save this effectively as a data value. This indicator might take the form of a hidden field, but would be posted back to the application and saved as a normal data value when the “On-complete” button is pressed. The advantage with this of course is that all of the values would be available through the normal analytics resources. I do not know exactly how this could be done, but if the indicator would be calculated on the fly and then effectively treated as a data value and posted back to the application when the complete button is pressed, it would seem to be the easiest method I think. Since indicators can already be inserted into a form, it would seem like little code required to calculate the value from the data elements, and then post it back through the WebAPI and save it as a data value. Again, just hypothesizing, but it would seem to be possible.

The other option (which I would likely prefer given my choice of tools) would be a trigger which would happen when a record is inserted into the “completedatasetregistration” table. This happens when the user completes the records, so it is certainly possible to create a trigger from such an action. Thinking though the code, you could detect when a record is completed, and then create a stored procedure to calculate the indicator from the values. I see a few problems with this though, and one of them is the parsing of the indicators. There are robust methods to do this in Java, but you would need to develop methods to parse out the indicator into something which could be used with PLSQL. Not really sure it would be worth it.

Would be interested to see what you come up with.

Regards,

Jason

···

Many thanks Jason,

and maybe…??

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Many thanks Knut, Jason,

Yes, I understand the two options (apps + WebAPI, and triggers). I would like to explore a bit about the possibilities of creating and using an app. As I have never seen one embedded into DHIS2, do you have some code example to look at?

Of course, I will let you know about how the things are going!

Thank you!

Jose

···

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,

There are many ways to skin a cat, and as Knut says, creating an “App” is one way to possibly achieve this. I personally have no idea how to do this, but could imagine it would be possible in some way.

Maybe Lars or the other devs can comment, but I am thinking the easiest way would be to somehow calculate your indicator when the “Complete” button is pressed, and save this effectively as a data value. This indicator might take the form of a hidden field, but would be posted back to the application and saved as a normal data value when the “On-complete” button is pressed. The advantage with this of course is that all of the values would be available through the normal analytics resources. I do not know exactly how this could be done, but if the indicator would be calculated on the fly and then effectively treated as a data value and posted back to the application when the complete button is pressed, it would seem to be the easiest method I think. Since indicators can already be inserted into a form, it would seem like little code required to calculate the value from the data elements, and then post it back through the WebAPI and save it as a data value. Again, just hypothesizing, but it would seem to be possible.

The other option (which I would likely prefer given my choice of tools) would be a trigger which would happen when a record is inserted into the “completedatasetregistration” table. This happens when the user completes the records, so it is certainly possible to create a trigger from such an action. Thinking though the code, you could detect when a record is completed, and then create a stored procedure to calculate the indicator from the values. I see a few problems with this though, and one of them is the parsing of the indicators. There are robust methods to do this in Java, but you would need to develop methods to parse out the indicator into something which could be used with PLSQL. Not really sure it would be worth it.

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason,

and maybe…??

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose

Hi guys,

here again with this issue!

Maybe I came up with other potential solution: As I have defined a custom form and introduced some javascript code on it, I can get the control when the user click on the “complete” button as it follows right?:

document.getElementById(“completeButton”).onclick=function(){ …};

I know is not like very elegant, but if we want to automate the calculation of the final score and save it as a dataelement (using the Web API) when the user clicks on the “complete” button … Could this be a good solution? What do you think? Again, I am not an expert.

Other question: We need to collect this data also with mobiles. Is there a way to let the system know that a form is completed? Because, in the mobile interfaces there is no a complete button, right? (please correct me if i am wrong).

Many thanks

Jose

···

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Jose Garcia Muñoz josemp10@gmail.com wrote:

Many thanks Knut, Jason,

Yes, I understand the two options (apps + WebAPI, and triggers). I would like to explore a bit about the possibilities of creating and using an app. As I have never seen one embedded into DHIS2, do you have some code example to look at?

Of course, I will let you know about how the things are going!

Thank you!

Jose

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason,

and maybe…??

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

Many thanks Jason, Bob,

Hi Jose,

Regards,

Jason

SQL below…

RETURNS trigger AS

$BODY$

DECLARE

changed boolean;

BEGIN

date, storedby)

now(),new.storedby);

RETURN new;

END;

$BODY$

COST 100;

OWNER TO postgres;

AFTER INSERT

FOR EACH ROW

Thanks Bob!

Thanks

Jose

Hi Jose

Bob

Hi guys,

How are you doing?

Best regards

Jose