Event reports and event visualiser

Hi devs,
I wanted to make a dashboard for a single event death registration program, but I found it quite difficult. Below is a list of issues I ran into - some of them are bugs/problems, others feature requests and questions.

- Days are not part of the relative periods. Since all data is recorded by day/date, it would be great if we could also have reports by day/date (fixed periods allow you to make reports by day of course, but if you want to have an up-to-date dashboard it means you have to update the report every day). Having at least the last 7 days, or last 28/30/31 days (not sure which one is the most useful) would be great.

- The last/this for relative periods is problematic here (as elsewhere). Making a report for the number of cases registered this year, for example, is not possible using the relative periods: «This year» is still 2014 in DHIS. I’m sure it will change at some point, but I don’t know when.

- In event report, the default layout is to have orgunits AND periods on the columns, and nothing on rows. So by default you get «undefined/Periods» as cell A2 (in Excel terminology) and the table will be messed up (all data rows shifted one place to the left because there is no header cell on the rows). It is not uncommon to want to run a report without data items, since it will give you the number of event or TEIs registered in a period.
- event reports do not seem to be available in dashboards?

- More than one series in event visualiser would be great. For example number of cases as a line chart with one series for male and one for female, or for different age groups.

- The options for filtering in event visualiser and report is a bit strange. For example, using an «age» data element, it does not seem to be possible to make a chart where the series is «cases with age < 5 yrs». Instead, it will make five different series (Age 0, Age 1, Age 2). I see that this is useful in some cases (though I can’t really think of any right now), but my guess is that getting all matches together would be most useful in most cases.

- «Yes only» data elements are treated as integers when filtering in event visualiser/reports.

- It is not possible to make a report on the number of cases in event visualiser, as it requires you to select a data item (unlike event reports). Being able to make a chart of the total number of cases by time or orgunit would be useful.

Regards
Olav

Thanks for the feedback.

···

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Olav Poppe olav.poppe@me.com wrote:

Hi devs,

I wanted to make a dashboard for a single event death registration program, but I found it quite difficult. Below is a list of issues I ran into - some of them are bugs/problems, others feature requests and questions.

• Days are not part of the relative periods. Since all data is recorded by day/date, it would be great if we could also have reports by day/date (fixed periods allow you to make reports by day of course, but if you want to have an up-to-date dashboard it means you have to update the report every day). Having at least the last 7 days, or last 28/30/31 days (not sure which one is the most useful) would be great.

• The last/this for relative periods is problematic here (as elsewhere). Making a report for the number of cases registered this year, for example, is not possible using the relative periods: «This year» is still 2014 in DHIS. I’m sure it will change at some point, but I don’t know when.

• In event report, the default layout is to have orgunits AND periods on the columns, and nothing on rows. So by default you get «undefined/Periods» as cell A2 (in Excel terminology) and the table will be messed up (all data rows shifted one place to the left because there is no header cell on the rows). It is not uncommon to want to run a report without data items, since it will give you the number of event or TEIs registered in a period.

• event reports do not seem to be available in dashboards?

• More than one series in event visualiser would be great. For example number of cases as a line chart with one series for male and one for female, or for different age groups.

• The options for filtering in event visualiser and report is a bit strange. For example, using an «age» data element, it does not seem to be possible to make a chart where the series is «cases with age < 5 yrs». Instead, it will make five different series (Age 0, Age 1, Age 2). I see that this is useful in some cases (though I can’t really think of any right now), but my guess is that getting all matches together would be most useful in most cases.

• «Yes only» data elements are treated as integers when filtering in event visualiser/reports.

• It is not possible to make a report on the number of cases in event visualiser, as it requires you to select a data item (unlike event reports). Being able to make a chart of the total number of cases by time or orgunit would be useful.

Regards

Olav

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

Post to : dhis2-devs@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi devs,
I wanted to make a dashboard for a single event death registration
program, but I found it quite difficult. Below is a list of issues I ran
into - some of them are bugs/problems, others feature requests and
questions.

- Days are not part of the relative periods. Since all data is recorded by
day/date, it would be great if we could also have reports by day/date
(fixed periods allow you to make reports by day of course, but if you want
to have an up-to-date dashboard it means you have to update the report
every day). Having at least the last 7 days, or last 28/30/31 days (not
sure which one is the most useful) would be great.

- The last/this for relative periods is problematic here (as elsewhere).
Making a report for the number of cases registered this year, for example,
is not possible using the relative periods: «This year» is still 2014 in
DHIS. I’m sure it will change at some point, but I don’t know when.

- In event report, the default layout is to have orgunits AND periods on
the columns, and nothing on rows. So by default you get «undefined/Periods»
as cell A2 (in Excel terminology) and the table will be messed up (all data
rows shifted one place to the left because there is no header cell on the
rows). It is not uncommon to want to run a report without data items, since
it will give you the number of event or TEIs registered in a period.

Fixed in trunk and 2.18.

- event reports do not seem to be available in dashboards?

Available (as you know) in 2.18.

···

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Olav Poppe <olav.poppe@me.com> wrote:

- More than one series in event visualiser would be great. For example
number of cases as a line chart with one series for male and one for
female, or for different age groups.

- The options for filtering in event visualiser and report is a bit
strange. For example, using an «age» data element, it does not seem to be
possible to make a chart where the series is «cases with age < 5 yrs».
Instead, it will make five different series (Age 0, Age 1, Age 2). I see
that this is useful in some cases (though I can’t really think of any right
now), but my guess is that getting all matches together would be most
useful in most cases.

- «Yes only» data elements are treated as integers when filtering in event
visualiser/reports.

- It is not possible to make a report on the number of cases in event
visualiser, as it requires you to select a data item (unlike event
reports). Being able to make a chart of the total number of cases by time
or orgunit would be useful.

Regards
Olav