Docker on macOS Big Sur

I am facing some issue running docker image dhis2/core:2.37.2 on MacOS Big Sur. Has anyone been able to get it running? So you know, I am using the same image on macOS Catalina and it is all good.

See error I am experiencing:

dhis2-web | # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
dhis2-web | #
dhis2-web | # Internal Error (safepoint.cpp:388), pid=1, tid=0x000000403f019700
dhis2-web | # guarantee(PageArmed == 0) failed: invariant
dhis2-web | #
dhis2-web | # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_312-b07) (build 1.8.0_312-b07)
dhis2-web | # Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.312-b07 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
dhis2-web | # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try “ulimit -c unlimited” before starting Java again
dhis2-web | #
dhis2-web | # An error report file with more information is saved as:
dhis2-web | # /tmp/hs_err_pid1.log
dhis2-web | #
dhis2-web | # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
dhis2-web | # Crash Report
dhis2-web | #
dhis2-web | qemu: uncaught target signal 6 (Aborted) - core dumped

Thanks

Hi @Michael_Mwebaze

Have you tried to use the command mentioned above? If it doesn’t work try ulimit -H -c unlimited

Additionally, I would like to know please what guide/docs/instructions are you following to perform the installation? Have you checked out Developer Portal Documentation | DHIS2 Developer Portal?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Gassim I did use the “ulimit -c unlimited” command in the past but they wasn’t helpful. I will try ulimit -H -c unlimited. So you know, I have a docker-compose file I am using which has been working great on macOS Catalina. I recently acquired a new mac book running macOS big sur and attempted to run the same docker-compose file but got the above issues.

Thanks,

1 Like

Just in-case someone comes here for help. I suspect because of the architecture type, the dhis2 images are failing. So I decided to build a new image from scratch and that has helped.

https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/mwebaze/dhis2-2.37.3-tomcat-9.0-jdk8-openjdk-slim

1 Like

Hi Michael, thanks for passing this feedback! Is your new Mac an M1 processor based machine?
Because I don’t see this on Big Sur but my processor is not the new one.
Best!

Yes! My mac has the M1 processor. None of the official images were helpful. So I had to build the dhis2 and then create the above image to get around that.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Michael,

We build Docker images for all releases that work with x86 and ARM chips, including the M1, that are released to the public you can find them here.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

Thanks Dan! @Michael_Mwebaze We’re taking a look at this, we could reproduce on M1 based machines. Please hang on!

2 Likes