DHIS2 version 2.39.3.1 is now available - HOTFIX

Dear all,

DHIS2 version 2.39.3.1 is out as a HOTFIX release to address critical functional and performance issues in v39.

• DHIS2-15573: Errors executing analytics due invalid date and period
  • DHIS2-15362: Connection pool exceeded with idle connections by data value set import
  • DHIS2-16138: dataValueSet API performance has drastically worsened in v40
  • DHIS2-16159: dataValueSet API performance has drastically worsened in v40
  • DHIS2-16145: Database connection test during startup does not close database connection

This is the latest stable release for version 2.39, and supersedes patch 2.39.3.

These hotfixes are provided to make it easy for you to keep your system secure and reliable; provided you keep up to date with the latest patch versions.

The release note for this patch can be found here: Patch 2.39.3.1 Release Note.

Thanks!

DHIS2 Release Team

P.S. These issues have also been addressed for the upcoming v40.2 patch release.

Release Information Links
Release Note Patch 2.39.3.1 Release Note
Upgrade notes 2.39 Upgrade notes
Download release and sample database Downloads - DHIS2
Documentation Home - DHIS2 Documentation
Source code on Github tag/2.39.3.1
Demo instance DHIS 2 Demo - Sierra Leone
Docker docker pull dhis2/core:2.39.3.1
for more docker image variants see dockerhub
2 Likes

Thanks @phil.

Does this hotfix fix 2.40.0 and 2.40.1?? We seem to be having issues with this specific version.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks, this fixed the analytics date bug we had on one of our instances.

1 Like

Hi @stephocay

Thank you for the question. The HOTFIX is only for version 2.39, but if if the issues are any of the ones listed above, please check the field Fix versions in the ticket, if the version is there then the FIX will also be included. If the version is not listed in Fix versions please add a comment in the Jira issue with the version number.

Additionally, if the issue is not listed above nor has it been reported in the CoP or Jira then please feel free to create a new topic. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi @phil do you have an expected date for the v40.2 patch release. We are looking to upgrade now to v40 and it would obviously make sense to wait for this patch release.

Regards
Elmarie

Hi @Elmarie_Claasen,

I hope very much we will get v40.2 out in the next couple of days!

Kind regards,
Phil

Is there a reason why this constitutes a HOTFIX for V39 but not for V40? Normally we’d consider a HOTFIX something to prioritize and could roll out more quickly (given, generally, very few edits made), vs. a patch update which normally has many different notes which could have positive and negative impacts on our server. Thanks for any insight here!

Hi @Matthew_Boddie ,

That’s a fair question. My feeling has been that implementations should do their best to stay up to date with the latest patch anyway (and we should do our best to ensure the risks are as low as possible); as only then can they take advantage of the next HOTFIXES - which might be needed for, say, an urgent vulnerability. So if we were to release v40.1.1 close to, or at the same time as, v40.2.0, it feels a bit redundant; as we would always recommend moving to v40.2.0. For that reason our policy has been to create a HOTFIX unless we have already started testing a release candidate for the next patch.

Having said that, I do understand that you may wish to update to a HOTFIX version while performing more thorough testing to update to the next patch; which, as you say, might have issues that prevent you updating. We will take your point it into consideration.

Now, in this case, it is my understanding that those who are affected by these “hotfix” issues are, in most cases, completely blocked from updating to v40.1.0, so I still feel that v40.2.0 will be the best option for them.

Kind regards,
Phil

1 Like

This is well noted, and can see the logic used. Much appreciated!