DHIS2 Toolkit for Antenatal Care (ANC) Registry is Released

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to announce the release of a DHIS2 implementation toolkit for tracking Antenatal Care (ANC), or care during pregnancy at primary healthcare level. This DHIS2 Tracker configuration is designed to match as closely as possible to the World Health Organization (WHO) Digital Adaptation Kit (DAK) for Antenatal Care, part of the WHO’s SMART guidelines initiative. The WHO ANC DAK provides a comprehensive list of data elements for various services and stages within a typical ANC program, as well as generic descriptions of end user workflows, decision support logics, and indicators.

An adapted version of this ANC Registry program is currently being implemented as a part of a research project in primary health care centers across two districts of Uganda, in collaboration between Makerere University School of Public Health, HISP Uganda, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, University of Oslo and the University of Bergen. The configuration shared below, derived from the ANC DAK, was used as a baseline demo program during partner consultations before being narrowed and contextualized to the Ugandan setting.

The downloadable metadata file also includes a dashboard presenting the nine core DAK indicators, concept mappings for data elements and tracked entity attributes to other coding systems such as ICD-11, and program rules for skip logics and data validations, including an example decision support logic for gestational hypertension.

Links:

• metadata file downloads, link here
  • design guide, link here
  • installation guide, link here
  • presentation at 2022 DHIS2 Annual Conference on this collaboration and the DAK-to-DHIS2 adaptation process, link here

After importing the metadata file, implementers should only keep metadata that are relevant for local context and national health guidelines. We also strongly recommend that users refer to the DAK documentation and Web Annexes for a broader conceptual understanding of this use case.

Thanks to all the partners who contributed to this effort.

14 Likes

I was searching the app but it is not available in App Management. I also clicked the installation guide but it is not working. Kindly advise how I can test it out.

Hi @Kache,

Thanks for your interest. It seems there were some broken links on the docs landing page for this toolkit which Ive just fixed.

ANC System Design guide: Design - DHIS2 Documentation

ANC Installation guide: Installation - DHIS2 Documentation

The metadata can be downloaded from the metadata package downloads page Metadata Package Downloads - DHIS2

There is no public facing demo for this package currently, but I will send you testing credentials to a sandbox instance in a PM.

1 Like

Hi Brian, we are currently developing a project in sub-Saharan Africa on DHIS2 ANC for an EU call. Can we please get in touch ? d.scaramuzzi@revolutionworlwide.community

1 Like

Hi Dario! Just emailed you.