DHIS2 Installation procedure for Cent OS 8

Hi all,
I have been using DHIS2 on ubuntu 18.04 without any issues. Now i want to install it over centos 8.4 but facing lot of issues. Is there any official guide exists for CentOS 8 ?
I am following this guide for installation over CentOS 8: Home - DHIS2 Documentation

Waiting for your replies.

1 Like

@sybghat ghat. Please share the issues. Experienced people in the group can then help you better

2 Likes

Hi @sybghat ,

There is no “official guide” for supporting CentOS 8; so as @amitta suggests, your best bet is to share your issues and experiences with the community.

The core team use a few difference operating systems, as well as different docker containers, but most of our test environments are based on Ubuntu 18.04. I am curious to know what is motivating you to switch to CentOS 8?

Kind regards,
Phil

2 Likes

I would not recommend using CentOS 8 with a new project, due to its End-of-Life coming at the end of 2021. This was a surprise to the CentOS community, which you can read about further here. If you wish to continue with a RHEL-like version of Linux, I would recommend Rocky Linux or AlmaLinux instead.

That said, Tomcat is not included in the default repositories for RHEL/CentOS/Rocky Linux/AlmaLinux 8. The installation procedure for Tomcat requires installing Java 8 or Java 11, downloading and running Tomcat from the Apache website, and you would have to write your own systemd unit file if you wanted to run it under a supervisor daemon. Because of that, I would recommend using Ubuntu 20.04 and use the built-in Tomcat 9 packages.

2 Likes

Agree very much with Alan. There is quite a bit of thought gone into the debian/ubuntu package, particularly around security and file permissions which would be a sizeable job to recreate yourself.

1 Like