DHIS2 Data Capture is not working!

Dear DHIS2 community greetings,

DHIS2 Data Capture app is not working giving error of network error and wrong url with DHIS2 version 2.36.10. The main think is if we update this application this application is no longer in play store.
I would like to mention it was working fine with DHIS2 version 2.32.

Any help or instruction regarding this problem please.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello @jan .

Are you talking about the Android application? It is not clear to me, sorry.

If yes, the first thing to do is checking that the Android device can see the server. For this you can open your web browser in the device and see if you can reach the server by putting the URL. If not there is a problem at network level.

Please let us know so we can further help you.

Thank you @jaime.bosque

Thank you for the support, yes we can access server through web browser and we can enter data as well but we can not access server through DHIS2 Data Capture application.

In some tablets give update message, when we update the tablets, in some tablets we can access the server but can not select current date for entry, in some tablets give the error of network or wrong url error.

But the main think is, i could not find this application in Play Store, the worry is why this application is not in play store with updated version?

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello @janagha

The application is available the Play Store , see link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dhis2 . By clicking on that link from your browser you could install in your devices (in case a Google Account is being used) and if opened with an Android device it should open the Play Store App.

If you cannot open this please let us know, as this could be related to a block in your country (so far I am not aware that this has ever happeend).

Could you please explain further the “we cannot select current date for entry” part? Do you mean in a specific dataSet? a program?
Regarding the network, please make sure you are typing the URL correctly and always verify via the browser. It might be the case that you have a failure at network level and thus the App cannot reach the server.

Let us know :slight_smile:

Dear @jaime.bosque

The link you mentioned is definitely working but i am not talking about this application, this application you are indicating is very heavy and can not be accessed with low bandwidth in health facilities with less expertise.

I am sharing both applications pictures with numbers.

1. Number 1 is the application picture which i am talking about.
    this application was working fine and now it is no longer in play store

2. Number 2 is the application picture which you are talking about.

Hello @janagha

I am not really sure about that application and will seek for advice from my colleagues. In any case, would you mind explaining why you think the application I am linking is very heavy and cannot be accessed in low bandwidth?

Actually the application was developed with this limitations in mind. And despite the initial sync might take a bit, it can perfectly work offline. In order to reduce the initial sync there are may things you can do:

1. For metadata you can limit OU assigned to the user, assign only specific programs/datasets…
  2. For data you can limit the download via the Android Settings Web App ( DHIS2 Android App - DHIS2 Documentation _

Kind regards.

Dear @jaime.bosque

If we do not have the first application (shows in picture 1) in play store then we do not have any other option we compel to use the second application which is available in play store.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hi @janagha

I am trying to understand why this application was removed from the Play Store and bring it back. In any case, I am willing to support you in transititioning to the new application if you want to give it a try. As said, with the proper configuration I am almost sure you could use in a restrictive scenario.

Best.

1 Like

Dear @jaime.bosque

Millions thanks for your support, i was trying to troubleshoot the previous Data Capture Application because we had trained users with previous application, if we implement the new application as you said it will need training again for all users because without training new application would be difficult for them to use, and conducting training for all users needs a lot of resources.

Any how we will plan a suitable way to continue.

Again i would like to thank you for your support.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello again , @janagha

Still investigatin the disapparition of the App and will try to provide another means of downloading i we don’t manage to get it back to the Play Store. However, I have been testing the App and it seems it is not compatible with any version after 2.35 (haven’t tested anything before but several after). The problem is that the Application performs some API calls to retrieve the DataSets which are not available.

More specifically the call is this: https://play.dhis2.org/2.36.12/api/me/assignedDataSets making the application crash and resulting in the Wrong URL message.

Maybe there could be ways to engineer the server to reply to those calls by transforming the calls in something for the newer version but I think it will require lot of work and might not even work.

I am sorry for the inconvenience but we announced the stop of support more than two years ago: We’re stopping maintenance for the old Android apps still, there is no reason for this App to have disappeared from the Play Store but you shouldn’t expect it working in new versions of the server.

Again, I am willing to support you in the migration to the new App if that could be benefitial for your implementation and you are willing to try.

Best regards.

Dear @jaime.bosque

Thank you so much for your outstanding efforts in this regards, yes we will definitely be using the DHIS2 data capture newer version.

I would like to understand the issue i am facing with DHIS2 data capture newer version i can not select the date for data entry before 18 August 2022, would you please assist me in this regard?

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Have you tried as well on the web version? If there you cannot either it might be due to the Organisation Unit being closed. Could you check?

Dear @jaime.bosque

Yes i tried on web i can select previous dates and can enter data as well on the web, the organization unit is open no issue there, the issue is with DHIS2 data capture application.

Note: I am not able to take screen shot from the data capture application due to security reason if i could do it i would.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello @janagha

Regarding the screenshot, this is a security issue that you could disable (understanding the data privacy implications it might have) by using the Android Settings Web App (please check this: Settings configuration - DHIS2 Documentation). Also if you are just testing the application, I would recommed using the DHIS2 Training version (you can download it from Github (Release Android Capture App for DHIS 2 (v2.6.2) - Patch version · dhis2/dhis2-android-capture-app · GitHub look at the assets section) as this one enables screenshots by default without the need of setting this at server level.

We also published a guideline that explains things about troubleshooting that you might find useful: Android Troubleshooting (technical guide)

Regarding the specific issue of dates: I guess you are able to see a pop up where it allows you to select the org unit and the date, right? Is it there where you don’t see the specific date? Can you scroll down and nothing shows up?

Thanks @jaime.bosque

Please check daily dataset with daily entry for previous dates, monthly dataset is ok.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello @janagha

Mine was just an example to show you the scrolling option. In any case, I went to a daily DataSet and I can see earlier to the date you mentioned, as expected:

Are you having this issue in a public server where I could test?

Dear @jaime.bosque

Thank you for your diligently support,

Please see in the pictures there is no sign of scrolling down, and in another picture do you suggest any change should i do?

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

Hello @janagha

Is this a public/testing server? If yes, could you share credentials via private message? From the pictures I cannot see what the problem is, as I believe it is probably due to a specific configuration in the server.

Best.

1 Like

Dear @jaime.bosque

We have solved the mentioned problem successfully due to diligent research, it was showing the default setting number of datasets, the need was to change the default numbers of datasets.

I would like to thank you again for your efforts and support in this regards.

Regards
Jan Agha Stanikzai

3 Likes

Ahhhh, I see! Sorry, I didn’t think this would be related to the Android Settings Web App… Indeed if you cannot due to this it might be a bug. I will check and let you know. In any case good find! And let us know if you need fruther help.

Best regards.

1 Like