Hello, my name is Eric Chingalo, I am a systems developer at HISP Tanzania, from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
I will be presenting the DHIS2 Analytics Messenger at the finals of the Annual Conference App competition on Thursday, June 15 12:00 CEST.
The DHIS2 Analytics Messenger application aims to ease the access of DHIS2 analytics to users. The application leverages the power of popular social messaging platforms, such as WhatsApp and Telegram, to deliver DHIS2 analytics to users’ fingertips.
Given the increasing popularity of social messaging applications in recent years, there has been a growing potential for sharing DHIS2 analytics data through these media. In Tanzania for example, for programs like the COVID-19 vaccine registry, Whatsapp groups are used by data managers to communicate the progress of vaccination campaigns by sharing DHIS2 visualizations. However, this process is manual and takes time, though has proven to mobilize on-time reporting and data quality for the program.
The DHIS2 analytics messenger is implemented in two components:
- Analytics Assistant (ChatBot): This implementation provides a user-driven interactive conversation to get data (configured to be public) from the DHIS2. In the current implementation, a user through a WhatsApp number can start a conversation with the assistant and get a visualization of choice through a configured conversation flow.
- Analytics messenger (Push analytics): This is a component used by data managers to send analytics visualizations from a DHIS2 web app to users through social messaging platforms manually or automatically by scheduling. Furthermore, the analytics messenger acts as the configuration module for Analytics Assistant by enabling management of the conversation flows and what data can be publicly accessible.
Click here to view the video demo.
Feature for future consideration on the roadmap:
- Implementing a simple-to-use interface for a DHIS2 admin to configure the conversation flows for the Analytics assistant.
- Support for Maps analytics sharing through the DHIS2 analytics messenger.
- Support other social messaging platforms i.e. Telegram, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and Slack.
- Support for sharing validation rules results through the DHIS2 analytics messenger.