DHIS 2 version 2.12 is released. We have some great new features for you:
- All analysis tools are working against the analytics Web API. This means that the system is no longer dependent on the resource-demanding data mart process and running it is now optional. You can still run data mart and use it for custom reports but all analysis tools now read from the analytics tables. These tables can be generated ad-hoc from reports module and scheduled in data administration module. The analytics API allows you to do a lot more flexible dimensional data analysis, for instance like this:
- In data visualizer module you can now do analysis on all fixed and dynamic data dimensions. You can select any data dimension and items from the left menu. You can also use multiple dimensions as filter. In DHIS 2 you can create dynamic data dimensions through data element group sets, org unit group sets and categories. For instance we can now create interesting charts where you compare immunization doses given at facility (fixed) and outreach:
(Log in with admin/district)
You can make a chart comparing ANC visits for each facility type:
A chart showing HIV testing broken down on gender:
You can also include data element details (category option combos) directly under data elements by selecting “Details” as opposed to “Totals” in the drop down next to the list of data elements:
- In pivot table module we have added support for analysis on category based dimensions - you can now do analysis based on all fixed and dynamic data dimensions. All dimensions can be selected from the menu on the left. You can for instance create a pivot table for vaccine doses given broken down on age group and facility location like this:
- In pivot table module you can now download your pivot table to your local computer in Microsoft Excel, CSV and HTML format. The downloaded file will have the same table layout as you see on the web page. As an example, load a pivot table by clicking on the link below, then click on “Download” on the top menu, then “Microsoft Excel” under “Table layout”.
You can also use the pivot table to browse the analytics web api and use the download options under “Plain data source” to retrieve the data response.
- Pivot table now supports data interpretations. Load a favorite, click on “Share” in the top menu and write your question, comment or interpretation. It will become visible in the data interpretation feed in the dashboard.
- In GIS you can now include data element details (category option combos) in a map. For instance you can create a map for ANC 1st visits at facility (fixed) like this:
- Single events without registration (anonymous events) are now supported in the Web API. This means that you can send event data from case-based systems like EMRs directly to DHIS 2, and create mobile clients for event registrations which send event data over HTTP to DHIS 2. Documentation here:
- Data entry for single events without registration now works offline, in the same way as the routine data entry. This implies that you can log onto DHIS 2 in the morning and continue with data entry throughout the day even if Internet connectivity is lost or intermittent. Even large option sets for ICD 10 codes work offline, and performance is improved in general. Check it out here:
- In tracker you can now define program indicators, creating formulas based on person data elements in order to make more useful analysis:
- In tracker we have a new analysis function which gives completeness for each program and its program stages:
- Option sets and data elements of type yes-only are now supported in the routine data entry module. This will be useful for several use-cases, for instance when making facility assessment forms. We recommend sticking with numeric option sets and data elements in routine data entry since text cannot be aggregated. Check it out by selecting the “Facility assessment” form here:
- Data set report and reporting rate summary now allows you to use all organisation unit group based dimensions as filters. For instance you can filter your data set report to only include data for a certain facility type. Click on “More options” to select the filters in data set report:
Same goes for reporting rate summary:
- Data entry can now be done through PDF files. This implies that data entry can be done completely offline and detached from DHIS 2 through the well-understood PDF format. You can download PDF form templates from the data set module by clicking on the PDF icon. Forms can later be uploaded through the import-export module by going to “PDF Data Import”. This allows for workflows where forms are distributed to remote / mostly disconnected areas, filled and returned by email before uploaded to the central instance.
You can see the admin module here:
- The analytics Web API resource now supports data responses with table layout. This means that you can generate ready-made tabular reports in Excel, CSV or HTML format straight from the analytics API using dynamic input parameters without defining anything up front. This is an example Excel report generated on the fly by using the tableLayout, columns and rows query parameters:
You can read the documentation here:
You can download the 2.12 release here:
You will find documentation here:
Source code is found here:
The new analytics engine requires that more of your server resources are dedicated towards the database in favor of the Java VM. It also requires that you have a fast disk type. We will provide more info about this shortly.
For this release we had source code contributions from PSI and Critical software - much appreciated. Also thanks to all developers who have worked very hard to finalize all this in only two months.
Enjoy the new version. Feedback is appreciated.
the DHIS 2 development team