Delay and very slow response in Tracker Capture

Hi,

We ran into problems where our Tracker Capture on both web(2.30) and Android versions are loading the data elements very slow. It usually takes longer than 10 seconds for all the Data elements in each program stage to be loaded.

Within each program stage, we have about ~300-500 data elements divided into multiple sections and 100-200+ program rules. Has anyone encountered a similar problem with the delay/lag time when loading the program stages? There is also a huge delay when a response is being saved. For example, when the user selects an answer using option set from a drop-down list, the answers don’t show up on the field until maybe half a minute to a minute later.

Thank you.

Cha

Hey @wtum!
I regret to hear about the slow response you are getting in the tracker clients. In the web client, an increased/high number of fields cause proportionally increased workload for the client browser. In the tracker client we have seen about 100 data elements for each program stage work well with about 500 program rules - but perhaps the product of 400 data elements and 200 program rules makes it slow. There should be enhancements we can do to make it faster, and we want to profile and explore this. Do you have a test database that can be shared offline that we can run profiling on?

I will leave @marta and the Android team to reply from the android client side.

1 Like

Hi Markus,

Yes, I’ll send you our database to test out.

Thank you.

Cha

Dear Cha,

I would ask you to test the new version just released (1.0.4), it should perform faster than the previous one, however, having in every stage “about ~300-500 data elements divided into multiple sections and 100-200+ program rules” I am not very positive about the Android app performing really fast…

We are working on improving performance of the PR execution in collaboration with the tracker team, and also discussing internally if we should put limits or warnings to these kind of configurations and are still not sure what to do, but yours is definitely a heavy load for a dynamic screen running program rules in an Android device.

I am sorry I don’t have a better answer.

Best,
Marta

Dear @wtum
Based on your database, the web client has gone through a series of performance enhancements the last 2 days. Can you try the latest version and see if the loading time is improved?

I also want to mention that performance is one of the key focus areas of the new Capture app, which can be installed in 2.30 from the app store, and which will be officially released with 2.31. This app is currently only supporting single event programs, but we are building the full tracker functionality and will deliver a new tracker in one of the upcoming releases.

Hi @Markus,
Could you please confirm if the “Trigger rule” field would help increase the efficiency?

We will try the latest version and test to see if the loading time has improved.

Hi @marta,
In terms of Android, we have downloaded the new version (1.0.4) and are currently in the process of testing it, however, it is still very slow. Rather than having one Program, and multiple Program Stages within that program, and multiple Program Stage Sections within a Program Stage, we tried to divide the tables into multiple Programs.

Within each program, there are multiple Program Stages, and within each Stage, multiple Sections. We still find that the performance gets worse as we move onto the next questions within a Program Stage. At the start, within each Program Stage (where there are multiple sections - or tabs as they appear on android), the first few questions will take about 5-10 secs for the answers to be uploaded/saved to the database. However, as we move further down the questions, the delay increases to 15 secs, 20 secs, sometimes even to 30 secs or longer…

Would you recommend us to even split it further down? We have A LOT of questions (multiple pages) for each table and we’re trying the find the best solution for this.

Thank you.

Cha (@lli

Yes - when specifying that the rule should only run for one program stage, this would reduce the number of rules that is triggered for all other program stages.

1 Like

Thank you for your response @Markus!!

1 Like

Looking forward to any feedback on the expected performance increase in the latest version of the tracker web client!

2 Likes

Hi @Markus,

We’ve just made an update again, and seems like tracker web is now a lot faster and improved in performance speed!

Cha

3 Likes

Hi @wtum,

I hope the next version would solve some of the performance problems. We have changed the rendering of sections as tabs and they are render as a drop down and that really makes a difference in the response of the program rules execution.

I hope it helps

2 Likes

Hi @marta,

Thank you for the update! I look forward to the next version.

Sincerely,
Cha

1 Like