Dealing with multiple age categorisations in a single form

Dear all,

We have slowly been moving our internal reporting over to DHIS2.

We are also looking at some of the external government-mandated forms – and wondered if somebody could provide some advice.

We have an existing National Health Information System form that we would like to transfer as is to electronic format.

On a single form they have eight different ways of breaking up age related data (for different data elements)

0-1

1-4

5+

0-4

5-14

15+

0-1

1-4

0-4

5-16

17+

Under 5

0-4

5-9

10-14

15-19

20-24

25-29

30-49

50+

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions about an elegant way to integrate such a cross-section into DHIS?

I’ve looked at creating separate age-related data elements – or at six different data element categories – but both seem reasonably clunky.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dylan

Hi Dylan,

You may want to check out the infamous “Zooks” thread for a much longer discussion on some of the issues here http://dhis-developers-list.1563109.n2.nabble.com/On-categories-and-dimensions-and-zooks-td3657695.html

If I understand DHIS2 correctly, it is not possible to create multiple age categories options and assign then partially to different category combinations, at least in a way that makes them easy to analyze.

In your case you might have categories “Age1”, “Age2”, “Age 3”…

You then may want to aggregate or analyze “Age1”/0-1 and “Age3”/0-1 together, since they are effectively the same age group. It is not possible currently in DHIS2 to do this, as category options cannot be shared between categories. It would seem to me to make sense to have a category called “Age” with all possible category options (all of your age groups) and then assign specific category options to a category group (each of your cells in the table) and then assign this category group to a specific data element. This does not seem to currently be possible, if my understanding is correct.

Having said that, if you do not want to have an age group “0-1” and "0-1 " (note the space) it is possible to have two category options which may appear to the end user as the same, but which appear to be different to DHIS2. This is of course, a very hacky approach. The restriction of not being able to re-use categories options across categories is still a bit mystifying to me, as the use case seems pretty clear.

Another possibility, with other potential issues, is to create a single age category, which would contain all possible age category options, and then implement custom data entry forms to only allow entry into the relevant age groups, depending on the data element. Also, relatively clunky.

Another option, is the use of plain-ole-data-elements with no categories, which as you say is a bit clunky, but would of course work in this case.

Hopefully Lars, Bob or Ola or others could offer better insight (and a solution).

Regards,

Jason

···

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Dylan Tovey dylan@susumamas.org.pg wrote:

Dear all,

We are also looking at some of the external government-mandated forms – and wondered if somebody could provide some advice.

We have an existing National Health Information System form that we would like to transfer as is to electronic format.

On a single form they have eight different ways of breaking up age related data (for different data elements)

0-1

1-4

5+

0-4

5-14

15+

0-1

1-4

0-4

5-16

17+

Under 5

0-4

5-9

10-14

15-19

20-24

25-29

30-49

50+

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions about an elegant way to integrate such a cross-section into DHIS?

I’ve looked at creating separate age-related data elements – or at six different data element categories – but both seem reasonably clunky.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dylan

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Hi Dylan,

Just as a follow up to this, the proposed workarounds which I mention here will not work, I think.

You must use categories such as “0-1” and “0-1 yr” and “0-1 yrs” in order to create separate category options in different categories. The reason for this is, each category option must have a unique name when it is collapsed to XML/SQL. “0-1” and "0-1 " (with a space) will get collapsed to “0-1” and cause the import to crash.

The other hack which I mention (forcibly reusing categories by direct manipulation of the database) will also fail according to Lars, so it is best not even to try messing with it.

It seems this will be looked at by the development team at some point in time and the blueprint has been developed here

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/extend-category-and-groupsets-model-with-concepts

Regards,

Jason

···

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Dylan,
I have had a closer look at this, and there is some traffic on the developer list about this now which may be of interest to you.

My conclusion is DHIS2 actually supports the type of disaggregation which you (and others including myself) desire, namely the ability to have a single category option in multiple categories. We are still waiting to hear back with some reaction from the developers on this, most of whom are on holiday I think. The problem is the workaround is not supported through the UI, and a bit tricky to get to work with direct manipulation of the database.

I would suggest you follow the workaround I mention in the mail “0-1”, "0-1 ", etc to deal with this for now, until we find/implement a more complete solution.

Best regards,

Jason

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Dylan Tovey dylan@susumamas.org.pg wrote:

Thanks Jason. I eventually worked my way through the whole thread (although something to revisit on a weekend I think when my head is clearer!)

Thanks for the suggestions – will trial a few and see which is least painful.

Cheers

Dylan

From: Jason Pickering [mailto:jason.p.pickering@gmail.com]

Sent: Wednesday, 10 August 2011 2:56 PM

To: Dylan Tovey

Cc: dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Dealing with multiple age categorisations in a single form

Hi Dylan,

You may want to check out the infamous “Zooks” thread for a much longer discussion on some of the issues here http://dhis-developers-list.1563109.n2.nabble.com/On-categories-and-dimensions-and-zooks-td3657695.html

If I understand DHIS2 correctly, it is not possible to create multiple age categories options and assign then partially to different category combinations, at least in a way that makes them easy to analyze.

In your case you might have categories “Age1”, “Age2”, “Age 3”…

You then may want to aggregate or analyze “Age1”/0-1 and “Age3”/0-1 together, since they are effectively the same age group. It is not possible currently in DHIS2 to do this, as category options cannot be shared between categories. It would seem to me to make sense to have a category called “Age” with all possible category options (all of your age groups) and then assign specific category options to a category group (each of your cells in the table) and then assign this category group to a specific data element. This does not seem to currently be possible, if my understanding is correct.

Having said that, if you do not want to have an age group “0-1” and "0-1 " (note the space) it is possible to have two category options which may appear to the end user as the same, but which appear to be different to DHIS2. This is of course, a very hacky approach. The restriction of not being able to re-use categories options across categories is still a bit mystifying to me, as the use case seems pretty clear.

Another possibility, with other potential issues, is to create a single age category, which would contain all possible age category options, and then implement custom data entry forms to only allow entry into the relevant age groups, depending on the data element. Also, relatively clunky.

Another option, is the use of plain-ole-data-elements with no categories, which as you say is a bit clunky, but would of course work in this case.

Hopefully Lars, Bob or Ola or others could offer better insight (and a solution).

Regards,

Jason

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Dylan Tovey dylan@susumamas.org.pg wrote:

Dear all,

0-1

1-4

5+

0-4

5-14

15+

0-1

1-4

0-4

5-16

17+

Under 5

0-4

5-9

10-14

15-19

20-24

25-29

30-49

50+

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dylan

Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

Post to : dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net

Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~dhis2-users

More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1388 / Virus Database: 1513/3717 - Release Date: 06/21/11

Internal Virus Database is out of date.